Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
May 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #826 of 1,929
I just received my PHA 3 yesterday and did complete charging it on the iPhone cube (worked fine). After using it for a while last night, I forgot to turn the volume control off and the unit was almost completely discharged this morning. It wasn't plugged into a charger. Now I'm using the 2.1 amp charger to recharge it so thanks for the useful information. I'll be evaluating the unit carefully over the next few days against my Centrance m8 to see if it's a keeper. I am using it with my ZX 2 so I can use balanced headphones (Audeze LCD-X) and it drives them with no problems. I am concerned about being able to replace the goofy little Experia cable that connects the ZX 2 so I'd appreciate knowing if there is a place to purchase an extra one. I assume I can get one from Sony but my initial searches haven't turned any up. My initial impression is favorable but time will tell!

It really opens up after 100 to 200 hours. I noticed a difference but as always, YMMV. 

May 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #827 of 1,929
I just received my PHA 3 yesterday and did complete charging it on the iPhone cube (worked fine). After using it for a while last night, I forgot to turn the volume control off and the unit was almost completely discharged this morning. It wasn't plugged into a charger. Now I'm using the 2.1 amp charger to recharge it so thanks for the useful information. I'll be evaluating the unit carefully over the next few days against my Centrance m8 to see if it's a keeper. I am using it with my ZX 2 so I can use balanced headphones (Audeze LCD-X) and it drives them with no problems. I am concerned about being able to replace the goofy little Experia cable that connects the ZX 2 so I'd appreciate knowing if there is a place to purchase an extra one. I assume I can get one from Sony but my initial searches haven't turned any up. My initial impression is favorable but time will tell!

It really opens up after 100 to 200 hours. I noticed a difference but as always, YMMV. 

I also own the ZX2 which has "improved" after about 150 hours of burn in so I assumed that would also be the case with the PHA 3. I would also call the sound of the PHA 3 more refined and "smoother" than my Centrance M8 but it's still really early on in my comparison process. The Centrance also has a four pin XLR balanced out which makes listening to my Audeze LCD-X more convenient but ive purchased a converter cable so I can use the dual balanced 3.5 out on the Sony. I've already tried the 3.5 single stereo out with my LCD-2's (rev. 2) and its "adequate" so I'll see how that goes. The PHA 3 definitely improves my Sony XBA Z5 IEM's using the balanced out with the dual balanced cable that came with the Z5's.

May 3, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #828 of 1,929
I also own the ZX2 which has "improved" after about 150 hours of burn in so I assumed that would also be the case with the PHA 3. I would also call the sound of the PHA 3 more refined and "smoother" than my Centrance M8 but it's still really early on in my comparison process. The Centrance also has a four pin XLR balanced out which makes listening to my Audeze LCD-X more convenient but ive purchased a converter cable so I can use the dual balanced 3.5 out on the Sony. I've already tried the 3.5 single stereo out with my LCD-2's (rev. 2) and its "adequate" so I'll see how that goes. The PHA 3 definitely improves my Sony XBA Z5 IEM's using the balanced out with the dual balanced cable that came with the Z5's.

I think where the PHA3 shines is in balanced. I made an adapter so I can use all my phones with it balanced since they all have the Hirose connector, which makes it easy to change to any plug I want to use. 

May 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #829 of 1,929

I think where the PHA3 shines is in balanced. I made an adapter so I can use all my phones with it balanced since they all have the Hirose connector, which makes it easy to change to any plug I want to use. 

Well, I'm happy to say that my LCD-X's sound fantastic using the balanced out on the PHA 3. I purchased two female XLR to 1/4" from Monoprice and added two 1/4 to 1/8 converters (total outlay less than $13) so I could connect my Silver Dragon balanced cables. I may buy a "better" converter but the el cheapo arrangement works just fine, thank you!

May 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #830 of 1,929
USA Model:  How do I give it permanent power - can leave it all day without worrying about power?  I can't seem to find the Sony wall adapter thing unless if it's like 40+ USD and my smartphone adapter's don't charge it at all.  Direct links are greatly appreciated.

May 11, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #831 of 1,929
  USA Model:  How do I give it permanent power - can leave it all day without worrying about power?  I can't seem to find the Sony wall adapter thing unless if it's like 40+ USD and my smartphone adapter's don't charge it at all.  Direct links are greatly appreciated.

I'm able to play for long hours with a USB power adapter, so far haven't got it drain on me.

You need to make sure you are using a USB data cable to charge. USB charge cable will not work.

The USB power adapter outputting at 5v 2.1amp

May 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #835 of 1,929
  I'm able to play for long hours with a USB power adapter, so far haven't got it drain on me.

You need to make sure you are using a USB data cable to charge. USB charge cable will not work.

The USB power adapter outputting at 5v 2.1amp

How can a data cable charge? I'm confused. The data only cable should be incapable of charging unless I'm missing something.

May 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #837 of 1,929

How can a data cable charge? I'm confused. The data only cable should be incapable of charging unless I'm missing something.

Data Cable should be able to charge, it's just less power flow.

Sonic Defender, a USB data cable can charge and transfer data at the same time compare to charge cable. Sony has always do an interesting USB charging implementation, However i read somehwere (no facts/just hear say), with data cable the device can step down the charge to lower power to avoid short circuiting the PHA-3

djricekcn, that's an interetsing information regards to charging speed, may need to research in to that.

May 13, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #838 of 1,929
Thats just what I read...I'm not an actual electritian.  Something about data cable controls flow while charging doesn't.

also, i still need a solution.  I'm losing power as I run it right now and can't charge with all of my 50+ usb cables and about 6 different USB power plugs.

link me to a solution that works please.  I want PHA-3 to work even after battery dies, so means, need something that gives it power more than battery depleting.

May 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #839 of 1,929

Sonic Defender, a USB data cable can charge and transfer data at the same time compare to charge cable. Sony has always do an interesting USB charging implementation, However i read somehwere (no facts/just hear say), with data cable the device can step down the charge to lower power to avoid short circuiting the PHA-3

djricekcn, that's an interetsing information regards to charging speed, may need to research in to that.

Thanks to both, I will try to research this more and I'll follow what you two (and others of course) discover. Peace.

May 13, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #840 of 1,929
  Data Cable should be able to charge, it's just less power flow.

I wonder if less power, is it enough to actually have any effect? If your losing power from playback faster than your able to charge it seems like it isn't an effective solution. What are your feelings about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back