Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #181 of 1,922
If I wanted to get high-res out of my iPhone6 (HF Player), do I need to connect Apple CCK to the regular iOS input on PHA-3, or the mini USB input?  I have been trying with the mini USB, but with inconsistent results, and can only get 44.1k out of the regular iOS input...Any tips?

You need the CCK on i device and connect to the mini usb for HF Player to output the Hi Res / DSD to PHA3

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #182 of 1,922
You need the CCK on i device and connect to the mini usb for HF Player to output the Hi Res / DSD to PHA3

Thks.  Got it to work finally.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #183 of 1,922

Actually it'd be PERFECT if that's case! I wouldn't want to overcharge and overheat the battery while it's running off AC. Ideally, when on AC, the PHA3 can function as a desk amp with no battery involved; then can be charged when OFF.

I love the battery care function in the last two generations of VAIO, really good for the battery. I have not noticed any visible battery degradation on my 20 months old VAIO Z3 and 9 months old VAIO Pro13 RED, which are always plugged in (pretty much like desktops); while the battery on my VAIO X505 without this feature, hasn't fared too well... DEAD 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I hope the engineers learnt something from their peers while designing the power "management" competent.

Looking forward to your "report", Cheers!!! 
atsmile.gif

PHA-3 uses separate ports for PC/Mac connection and charging, and it runs on battery power only. So, for continuous usage, you'll need second micro USB cable and source of power. I've tried to use it with my Mac, using iPad charger to power PHA-3, it's working OK. But I'm not sure it won't impact battery life.

It won't charge while playing that is for sure.  However, you can still use the unit on AC power as long as the unit has some battery left in it.  Otherwise, the unit will refuse to turn on even with the AC power from the micro USB line is connected.  Still this is an improvement over the PHA-2. 

The pha2 does exactly the same, no difference as I mentioned some post before. You can use the Walkman port as any other USB port, then have it connected to the ac by using the normal USB port.

That's great but this won't work if the walkman port is occupied as some owners use the PHA-2 primarily with the hi-rez walkman.

IMHO, they've done it to separate power line from data line. When I've used Fiio E17, one of the USB ports of my old Macbook produced very audible hum because of power supply imperfection. So, DACs, using power from USB should isolate it very carefully. Or, like in PHA-3 use two separate lines (I've seen some hi-end USB cables, doing so)

As for battery life, you can take care about it, and allow PHA-3 to work from battery time to time, so battery will run through regular charge cycle, and it'll be OK

It's a shame that the PHA-3 isn't coming to market a year later as then we'd have standardised USB 3.1 Type-C connectors. In the interim, we have proprietary fast charging solutions such as Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 for Snapdragon 801+ phones, but I haven't seen anything similar for audio equipment.

On the upside, it's good to see that the PHA-3 is only £720 in the UK even though it is $1000 in the US - normally we are royally ripped off!

I wonder how the PHA-3 will compare to the new Denon DA-10 at $400 or £280 in the UK, and forthcoming OPPO HA-2, which is rumoured to cost $300, as explained by @HasturTheYellow : http://www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-reveal-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones-and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf . What's more, @miceblue revealed, "USB DAC/amp for your computer... DAC/amp for your iDevices (NO Apple Camera Connection Kit required)... DAC/amp for your Android devices... Battery charger for your iDevice/Android device... ESS 90182M DAC chip (supports 16/44.1 all the way to 24/384, and DSD up to DSD 256/quad-rate DSD)" ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-reveal-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones-and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf/30#post_10951932 ). However, the HA-2 does not appear to have balanced output so perhaps it would be better to compare it against the PHA-2.

On the other hand, @Thraex reports that the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC, like the Centrance HiFi-M8, is balanced but seems to be limited to 24/96 - not 24/192 - even when using the CCK/LtUSBCA: http://www.head-fi.org/t/679788/cypher-labs-theorem-720-dac-a-new-portable-24-192-usb-idevice-android-dac-amp/90#post_10021176 . He/she started a thread, 'iPad iPhone bit-perfect wi-fi streaming 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability', collating their findings: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-iphone-bit-perfect-wi-fi-streaming-24bit-or-dsd-files-high-storage-capacity-portability .

I think I'd rather save my money and buy a PHA-2 ($600, or the equivalent of £535 delivered to the UK including import duty) or HA-2 ($300, or the equivalent of ??? delivered to the UK including import duty) for mobile use, and then something like the Antelope Zodiac+ DAC ($2600, or around £1900 in the UK) for home use (which, interestingly, features a miniUSB Type B input, not full-size USB Type B as found on the dearer Zodiac Gold and Zodiac Platinum, or microUSB Type B).

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #184 of 1,922
Been listening to NW-A17 / PHA-3 (WM out to digital in) combination for the past couple of days.  Enough Daft Punk and Bill Evans to last a lifetime...
Since the only cans I have with the PHA-3 balanced cable is Sony MDR-1A, until I get the cable extensions/new cables delivered from various sources, I will have to live with these for a while...

I actually tried my CIEMs (Noble K10 and JHPro 16s) as well as LCD-XCs through the SE output on PHA-3.  PHA-3 is just a well-blanced amp overall. Depth/soundstage is there, and while it  does not have the power of my CL Duet or the newly tweaked Analog Square Paper TR-06, the Sony amp has certainly enough juice to drive all my iems/cans properly and do so in what I would call in a "refined" manner.  No particular weakness in terms of frequencies - strong mid presence, good but not-over-the-top treble (un-Sonylike) and meaty bass with impact - and noise floor is extremely low.  I think a lot has to do with DAC on PHA-3, which is actually a pretty good DAC...I did a Fiio X5 / PHA-3 combo (Fiio LO to PHA-3 LI), which did not sound as good as NW-A17 / PHA-3, whereas as standalone players, I strongly prefer the Fiio over the Sony.  With some other sources - AK players for example - I think I would still prefer Duet or even SR71B, but paired digitally with NW-A17, I can see myself putting PHA-3 in my backpack quite often, even without the proper balanced cables for my CIEMs.

I guess the crown jewel of PHA-3 is really the balanced output, so I listened to MDR-1A with a balanced cable (sold separately) for a few hours.  I will have to say that the balanced output makes a HUGE difference.  The overall improvement in soundstage / separation going from SE to balanced is just unbelievable.  It just opened up the sound a whole lot, and separation - not just channel separation, but also instrument/vocal separation - was even more pronounced than with my other balanced amps such as Duet and SR71B.  Now, I realize that this particular sound sig may not be for everyone - after all, there is a reason why some amps have crossfade features - but this is something that everyone should definitely try out. I happened to like it a lot, so I am definitely looking forward to getting my PHA-3 custom cables for my other cans and items... I think on some of the better recorded tracks (e.g. Daft Punk), I actually preferred going with MDR-1A balanced over Audeze XC or my CIEMs on SE connection... I think the power ratings are different between the SE and balanced outs, so that might have contributed to the huge difference as well.  

Anyway, I think I have a bit more listening to do.  When I get all my cables for the balanced output, I will try to report more.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #185 of 1,922
Anyone tried to compare pha 3 to clas theorem 720? I wonder which has better dac section. :)

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #186 of 1,922
Got one of the first PHA-3 in Europe yesterday
Serial number under 000200
Have to say that even without running in the analogue section, out the box, the detail and ambience around vocals, room effects and bass shape are superb.  Very even and accurate, while sweet.
I'm using Beyer Dynamic DT1350 which I love and seem a great domestic suitable version of what a lot of pro and studio engineers use
For me I love the sound since its getting closer to what the control room gets to hear and mix down
I;ve not been in studios for a few years, but the Sony PHA-3 is doing a better job of getting me there than a huge amount of my main Merdian system is managing

Only problem is that the unit isn't charing up but the Sony Centre were great and hoping a replacement will fix that. Anyone else got issues?

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #187 of 1,922
  Been listening to NW-A17 / PHA-3 (WM out to digital in) combination for the past couple of days.  Enough Daft Punk and Bill Evans to last a lifetime...
Since the only cans I have with the PHA-3 balanced cable is Sony MDR-1A, until I get the cable extensions/new cables delivered from various sources, I will have to live with these for a while...

I actually tried my CIEMs (Noble K10 and JHPro 16s) as well as LCD-XCs through the SE output on PHA-3.  PHA-3 is just a well-blanced amp overall. Depth/soundstage is there, and while it  does not have the power of my CL Duet or the newly tweaked Analog Square Paper TR-06, the Sony amp has certainly enough juice to drive all my iems/cans properly and do so in what I would call in a "refined" manner.  No particular weakness in terms of frequencies - strong mid presence, good but not-over-the-top treble (un-Sonylike) and meaty bass with impact - and noise floor is extremely low.  I think a lot has to do with DAC on PHA-3, which is actually a pretty good DAC...I did a Fiio X5 / PHA-3 combo (Fiio LO to PHA-3 LI), which did not sound as good as NW-A17 / PHA-3, whereas as standalone players, I strongly prefer the Fiio over the Sony.  With some other sources - AK players for example - I think I would still prefer Duet or even SR71B, but paired digitally with NW-A17, I can see myself putting PHA-3 in my backpack quite often, even without the proper balanced cables for my CIEMs.

I guess the crown jewel of PHA-3 is really the balanced output, so I listened to MDR-1A with a balanced cable (sold separately) for a few hours.  I will have to say that the balanced output makes a HUGE difference.  The overall improvement in soundstage / separation going from SE to balanced is just unbelievable.  It just opened up the sound a whole lot, and separation - not just channel separation, but also instrument/vocal separation - was even more pronounced than with my other balanced amps such as Duet and SR71B.  Now, I realize that this particular sound sig may not be for everyone - after all, there is a reason why some amps have crossfade features - but this is something that everyone should definitely try out. I happened to like it a lot, so I am definitely looking forward to getting my PHA-3 custom cables for my other cans and items... I think on some of the better recorded tracks (e.g. Daft Punk), I actually preferred going with MDR-1A balanced over Audeze XC or my CIEMs on SE connection... I think the power ratings are different between the SE and balanced outs, so that might have contributed to the huge difference as well.  

Anyway, I think I have a bit more listening to do.  When I get all my cables for the balanced output, I will try to report more.

Yes, running the PHA3 is the key to get the most out of the PHA-3.  I highly recommended everyone who purchase the PHA3 to use this feature for best performance.

Got one of the first PHA-3 in Europe yesterday
Serial number under 000200
Have to say that even without running in the analogue section, out the box, the detail and ambience around vocals, room effects and bass shape are superb.  Very even and accurate, while sweet.
I'm using Beyer Dynamic DT1350 which I love and seem a great domestic suitable version of what a lot of pro and studio engineers use
For me I love the sound since its getting closer to what the control room gets to hear and mix down
I;ve not been in studios for a few years, but the Sony PHA-3 is doing a better job of getting me there than a huge amount of my main Merdian system is managing

Only problem is that the unit isn't charing up but the Sony Centre were great and hoping a replacement will fix that. Anyone else got issues?

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I'm glad to hear your positive impression.  For its size & voicing, the PHA-3 is very neutral with very wide soundstage indeed.  You should your headphones using a balanced connection as well.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #188 of 1,922
Quote:

After searching rather a lot today...here you are trying the 'ideal' scenario combination. All Sony combination which earlier posters suggested was Sony's plan from the start. So first, thanks mate!

Second, I am jealous. Sorry? I am happy to look at affordable gear, and this selection seems to be a winning combo...well one such combo. Considering I am a happy Sony Flagship Store Frequent visitor here in Singapore...I am going in search of a test drive of this combo asap.

Thanks for the picture, it speaks instantly.

Recently tried this combo:

Listened to the iFi Micro iDSD | AudioStream only the other day at Stereo Concepts ION Orchard here in Singapore. When played connected to an Apple iTunes player on iMac using Apple lossless I was less than impressed, frankly disappointed. Using three top Audeze LCD-3 and Sennheiser cans, I could not find an acceptable sound over my no-name IEMS. Only the mid-priced Sennie Momentum cans seems halfway reasonable. I was shocked. All connections were best quality cabling etc...no explanation even when the salesman tried listening. So he suggested his DSD source materials...on the same iMac using different software.

When the salesman switched over to DSD source material playing through Audirvana software the entire experience was transformed. I had to go backwards and try all three cans again, this time doing them justice. Still...I preferred the overall experience, comfort, fit and sound of the Momentum's. But everything was so much better this time.
Noteworthy was the lack of Dolby Atmos experience (my new benchmark 3D sound - sub-text whad'ya mean it hasn't come to earphones yet? Duh!) in the THX DSD tracks using the Audeze; frankly the sound really felt like a windscreen wiper, just fanning from left to right channel and back again. Ho hum and quite unrealistic, really.

Also compared the smaller brother of this one, the iFi Nano iDSD. Sounded much lighter, less depth or bass extension. After listening to the Micro it was impossible to go backwards to the Nano in my view.

Also tried the A&K240. Nice source again, honestly not as good as the iMac->Audirvana->iFi Micro iDSD->Momentums. Clearly needs an amp attached...for the money that's disappointing @SGD3.2K. I can buy a Marantz amp for my home theatre for that price...its just silly, unless you have serious money to throw (away).

Using the DSD files mentioned, the iFi Micro produced clear strong sound, nice sound staging, great bass presentation with what can I say, vibration (the body sensation you get from real bass experience; bone conduction...:wink:, yet no hum not overpowering. I would buy one in a heart beat, and add it to my pc and macs as a desktop system. It is hardly portable. (Doesn't mean I wouldn't try...but not really practical)

Cost? SGD$649. Maybe coming soon! Liking those Momentums too, practical not like wearing the Singapore Esplanade Concert Hall (Durian) over your ears :wink:

PS Thanks to Stereo Concepts for their helpful attitude. Store - highly recommended.

That's a wrap mate. My first post here, done.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #189 of 1,922

There is no issue with your unit.
That's because europeen version of PHA-3 doesnt come with a built in battery. That's why:
-> it's name is PHA-3AC (ac adaptor)
-> it's lighter 200g vs 300g
-> you have two outlet adaptor + 2 micro USB cable one for outlet power and one for PC audio connexion
-> it's not labelled as portable anywhere on the box

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #190 of 1,922
That's because europeen version of PHA-3 doesnt come with a built in battery. That's why:
-> you have two outlet adaptor + 2 micro USB cable one for outlet power and one for PC audio connexion

Wow...what a disappointment in that case.  The PHA-3 is great b/c it is portable/transportable.  Taking out the battery and defeat this feature are just a bad move by Sony Europe.  BTW, my unit has a built in battery and not a European unit.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #191 of 1,922

Maybe you would like to read that again.....

http://presscentre.sony.eu/pressreleases/sony-gives-you-more-ways-to-enjoy-high-resolution-audio-on-the-move-1049301

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #192 of 1,922
.  BTW, my unit has a built in battery and not a European unit.

Oops wrong quoting sorry hehe

That s because the PHA-3 doesnt match some europeen electrical regulation that Sony had to remove the battery in Europe.

For sure it's a big loss especially for the price tag of 800€

i'm also disapointed coz we in europe didn't get to have pha1 and 2 but when we finally get pha3, it has no battery :S. The only way to take it on the go is to use an extra USB charger battery.....

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #193 of 1,922
Wow, now I'm super confused. I had European version borrowed and I thought it has just battery problem, because I was able to turn it up only when it was pluged in AC.

BUT!! it was working without AC adapter, used it with my iPhone. It lasted just for one hour this way, so I thought I had dead battery.

Lol, my review is even posted online for two weeks already! Need to get in contact with local Sony dealer right away.

Anyone with link to some source confirming this EU version without battery?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #194 of 1,922
Oops wrong quoting sorry hehe

That s because the PHA-3 doesnt match some europeen electrical regulation that Sony had to remove the battery in Europe.

For sure it's a big loss especially for the price tag of 800€

i'm also disapointed coz we in europe didn't get to have pha1 and 2 but when we finally get pha3, it has no battery :S. The only way to take it on the go is to use an extra USB charger battery.....

Have you got proof of this as I cant find anything anywhere.
And I cant see Sony falling foul like this to be honest.

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #195 of 1,922
Wow, now I'm super confused. I had European version borrowed and I thought it has just battery problem, because I was able to turn it up only when it was pluged in AC.

BUT!! it was working without AC adapter, used it with my iPhone. It lasted just for one hour this way, so I thought I had dead battery.

Lol, my review is even posted online for two weeks already! Need to get in contact with local Sony dealer right away.

Anyone with link to some source confirming this EU version without battery?

What you got is either a sony PHA-3 sample for test from japan or just a pha-3 but not europeen PHA-3AC final sample or retail version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back