Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #166 of 1,922
Really stupid design, but maybe there are reasons behind it.

IMHO, they've done it to separate power line from data line. When I've used Fiio E17, one of the USB ports of my old Macbook produced very audible hum because of power supply imperfection. So, DACs, using power from USB should isolate it very carefully. Or, like in PHA-3 use two separate lines (I've seen some hi-end USB cables, doing so)

As for battery life, you can take care about it, and allow PHA-3 to work from battery time to time, so battery will run through regular charge cycle, and it'll be OK

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #167 of 1,922
Any idea if the PHA-3 works with Linux? I read that using it with Windows requires you to install a driver + a proprietary software for playing Hi-Res files, however with Mac you don't. Linux should be more similar to Mac as both are Unix-based. Or does a connection via USB Audio not work at all together with a Linux PC?

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #168 of 1,922
IMHO, they've done it to separate power line from data line. When I've used Fiio E17, one of the USB ports of my old Macbook produced very audible hum because of power supply imperfection. So, DACs, using power from USB should isolate it very carefully. Or, like in PHA-3 use two separate lines (I've seen some hi-end USB cables, doing so)

As for battery life, you can take care about it, and allow PHA-3 to work from battery time to time, so battery will run through regular charge cycle, and it'll be OK

Ok good advise, thanks!

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #171 of 1,922
The pha2 does exactly the same, no difference as I mentioned some post before. You can use the Walkman port as any other USB port, then have it connected to the ac by using the normal USB port.

That's great but this won't work if the walkman port is occupied as some owners use the PHA-2 primarily with the hi-rez walkman.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #175 of 1,922
The point of the walkman is acting as a portable digital transport sending digital signal over to the PHA-3.  Get the ZX1, F88x, or A17 only if you want to play hi-rez files and use Sony proprietary digital connection.  Otherwise, the AK100 (or other hi-rez DAPs with optical out) will do a fine job given that it can output the optical out over to the PHA-3.  The PHA-3 is one superb device for those who just want to power the CIEMs & easy to drive cans but you will need to use balanced connection for optimum sound quality.  I'm listening to my ZX-1 > PHA-3 > Sony Qualia 010 right now and it is just about as good as the computer > Burson Conductor SL 1793 > Qualia 010 system.  My PHA-3 still need more time burning in so hopefully it will continue to get better.  My PHA-3 did an okay job pairing with the HD800 but the HD800 will sound considerable better with amp with beefier output.

I don't have the pleasure of owning a pair of Qualia O10's,
However I DO own a lovely set of MDR-SA5000's!

Do you think this amp would be a worthwhile investment to run them?
I'll be having them recabled and balanced also.

Source wise for now will be a number of iDevices, A DX50 and my MacBook Pro.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #176 of 1,922
I don't have the pleasure of owning a pair of Qualia O10's,
However I DO own a lovely set of MDR-SA5000's!

Do you think this amp would be a worthwhile investment to run them?
I'll be having them recabled and balanced also.

Source wise for now will be a number of iDevices, A DX50 and my MacBook Pro.

The PHA-3 in a  balanced form should be able compliment the SA5000 nicely; however, I think a dedicated home amp will still sound slightly better at the same price point but not by much.  In a nutshell, the PHA-3 is voiced very well.  It has a nice overall tone with a good sense of warmth, smooth treble, nice bass response, and very good sense of soundstage.  These traits will tame the treble on your SA5000.  It sheer sense of power & dynamics are slightly lacking compared to really good home amps, but it should drive efficient headphones & CIEMs very well.  I certainly like mine enough to use it just about every where these days.

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #177 of 1,922
Thanks Purk!
Appreciate the input dude.
Of Course I have desktop amps etc, However 
it would be nice to have a high end portable Sony DAC/Amp that could compliment the SA5K's well. :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #178 of 1,922
  The PHA-3 in a  balanced form should be able compliment the SA5000 nicely; however, I think a dedicated home amp will still sound slightly better at the same price point but not by much.  In a nutshell, the PHA-3 is voiced very well.  It has a nice overall tone with a good sense of warmth, smooth treble, nice bass response, and very good sense of soundstage.  These traits will tame the treble on your SA5000.  It sheer sense of power & dynamics are slightly lacking compared to really good home amps, but it should drive efficient headphones & CIEMs very well.  I certainly like mine enough to use it just about every where these days.

I dont have any balanced headphones /earphones unless i recable my grado and westnone items. what else  i will get and extra on top of pha-2 beyond balanced output. is there any killer feature over pha-2 . it is almost double in price and in size less portable.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #179 of 1,922
If I wanted to get high-res out of my iPhone6 (HF Player), do I need to connect Apple CCK to the regular iOS input on PHA-3, or the mini USB input?  I have been trying with the mini USB, but with inconsistent results, and can only get 44.1k out of the regular iOS input...Any tips?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #180 of 1,922
Thanks Purk!
Appreciate the input dude.
Of Course I have desktop amps etc, However 
it would be nice to have a high end portable Sony DAC/Amp that could compliment the SA5K's well. :)

Yes the PHA3 is simply awesome as a portable amp. I am sure that the Hugo will be better as it should be given its price.

I dont have any balanced headphones /earphones unless i recable my grado and westnone items. what else  i will get and extra on top of pha-2 beyond balanced output. is there any killer feature over pha-2 . it is almost double in price and in size less portable.

The size isn't that much bigger than the pha-2 so the whole "less portable" is out of the question. The pha-2 has less power handling so you are always pushing the limit on full size phones. The PHA-2 is also leaner sounding compared to the PHA3 with smaller yet still impressive soundstage. With the 3, you are getting a really good and refined sound despite being a portable setup. As u can tell, I am a fan of the PHA-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back