Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #136 of 1,922
That's because there is a staggering number of Android devices running various android versions out there and there is no way to guarantee compatibly with all, so Sony don't take risks.
Android, unlike iOS, is an open system.
If a phone is designed to work with USB DACs, like most Xperia, it will work.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #139 of 1,922
I like this idea! Great to see you a canjam again this year.

Jim

It was great seeing you again too Jim.  I hope you can make it out to more shows.  :)

I may have to get the PHA-3 just because I have the 1 & 2.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #140 of 1,922

It was great seeing you again too Jim.  I hope you can make it out to more shows.  :)

I may have to get the PHA-3 just because I have the 1 & 2.

It is time to just get it man.  I have the PHA-2 and now have the PHA-3.  You are also missing the ZX-1 & Z7 to complete the system.  Here's some pics for everyone.  No time to listen right now but I hope to post some impressions later.  All I can say is that the PHA-3 is a clear improvement over the PHA-2.  The sound is warmer as well as having superior 3-dimensionality to the sound.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #142 of 1,922
  It is time to just get it man.  I have the PHA-2 and now have the PHA-3.  You are also missing the ZX-1 & Z7 to complete the system.  Here's some pics for everyone.  No time to listen right now but I hope to post some impressions later.  All I can say is that the PHA-3 is a clear improvement over the PHA-2.  The sound is warmer as well as having superior 3-dimensionality to the sound.

Is it safe to assume you are currently listening to the PHA-3 in single ended mode only?

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #143 of 1,922
It is incredible how little is really known about the PHA2, for example, you can use the Walkman port as any normal USB connection... And therefore connect the z2 to that port and the PHA2 to mains through the pc charge port. If low on energy, the pha2 will continue to operate while connected to mains in this way, no matter if you have low battery. I use it immensely with my z2 to listen audio books at night, just to have the experience of not running out of battery whilst at the same time... Turning it off just to see that little red led indicating charging. I should make a video of it, the comments that I have seen here about running out of battery... Man, incredibly confusing for me which I have never experienced such thing.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #144 of 1,922
can i use pha-3 balanced feature/output with my grado headphones.  it has only single ended cable.

also is it possible to use pha-3  balanced output/feature with in ear monitor. i have westone um3 one. it also has only single ended cable should i change cable or how can i use L/R outputs. need some adapter?

thanks

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #145 of 1,922

You will have to use the "normal", for single ended output.  Unless you recable your Grados (or any headphone/earphone) then that is the only output you will be able too use...

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #146 of 1,922

You will have to use the "normal", for single ended output.  Unless you recable your Grados (or any headphone/earphone) then that is the only output you will be able too use...

thanks for response, next question comes in mind is there any other reason to go with pha-3 over pha-2

since in anyhow i am not having the double ended  cables. i am not  sure if i can recable it, is there any cables sold for in-ear monitors.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #147 of 1,922
@motto

Sony makes the star quad upgrade cable for their XBA-H, XBA-A and XBA-Z range headphones that using MMCX connector. There are unbalanced model and balanced model. However I'm not sure that it will be compatible with other headphones or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back