Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 27, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #152 of 1,922
  i'm sitting in front of my laptop at..2.28am EST, trying to decide purchase the PHA3 or wait for some more review since i just got the Z7

plase...review or some early impressions...please

imo, you have to get Z7 with at least PHA3 if not also those Kimber Kable. otherwise the Z7's true potential is wasted, any "negative" impressions so far are folks who only listened to Z7 on its own or with their own amps; but all those who tried them with the PHA3, have reported very positive impressions.

So I think we should discard all "negative" impressions by those who haven't had a chance to pair them with PHA3. Like I said in the Z7 discussion, the combo of Z7, PHA3 and MUC-B20BL1 is SONY's approach to make a pair of $2000 headphones without making the headphones themselves too expensive, so people who are upgrading from lesser cans would appreciate the sound quality and the price point, while those who are already used to spending a lot of money on headphones and used to the higher sound quality would have no problem in getting them as a set in order to take advantage of these headphones' true potential.

p.s. my "suspicion" has been confirmed by my SONY contacts a few days ago

do yourself a favor, get PHA3, I know you'll love it, I'm eagerly waiting for mine :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #153 of 1,922
Just a technical beginner question.

If using PHA3 (or any other external DAC) via USB Audio, I'm guessing it will bypass the built in DAC of the source device.

However, will it matter if I for example use my Xperia Z3 Smartphone as a source or my Walkman NWZ-ZX1? The latter has the S-Master HX amplifier, will that one too be bypassed by the external DAC? If so, what's the point of using the Walkman as a source other than any other source device?

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #154 of 1,922
  Just a technical beginner question.

If using PHA3 (or any other external DAC) via USB Audio, I'm guessing it will bypass the built in DAC of the source device.

However, will it matter if I for example use my Xperia Z3 Smartphone as a source or my Walkman NWZ-ZX1? The latter has the S-Master HX amplifier, will that one too be bypassed by the external DAC? If so, what's the point of using the Walkman as a source other than any other source device?

The point of the walkman is acting as a portable digital transport sending digital signal over to the PHA-3.  Get the ZX1, F88x, or A17 only if you want to play hi-rez files and use Sony proprietary digital connection.  Otherwise, the AK100 (or other hi-rez DAPs with optical out) will do a fine job given that it can output the optical out over to the PHA-3.  The PHA-3 is one superb device for those who just want to power the CIEMs & easy to drive cans but you will need to use balanced connection for optimum sound quality.  I'm listening to my ZX-1 > PHA-3 > Sony Qualia 010 right now and it is just about as good as the computer > Burson Conductor SL 1793 > Qualia 010 system.  My PHA-3 still need more time burning in so hopefully it will continue to get better.  My PHA-3 did an okay job pairing with the HD800 but the HD800 will sound considerable better with amp with beefier output.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #155 of 1,922
  The point of the walkman is acting as a portable digital transport sending digital signal over to the PHA-3.  Get the ZX1, F88x, or A17 only if you want to play hi-rez files and use Sony proprietary digital connection.  Otherwise, the AK100 (or other hi-rez DAPs with optical out) will do a fine job given that it can output the optical out over to the PHA-3.  The PHA-3 is one superb device for those who just want to power the CIEMs & easy to drive cans but you will need to use balanced connection for optimum sound quality.  I'm listening to my ZX-1 > PHA-3 > Sony Qualia 010 right now and it is just about as good as the computer > Burson Conductor SL 1793 > Qualia 010 system.  My PHA-3 still need more time burning in so hopefully it will continue to get better.  My PHA-3 did an okay job pairing with the HD800 but the HD800 will sound considerable better with amp with beefier output.

Great to hear that you are enjoying the PHA3, and man I'm so jealous you have Qualia010 :)

Question: is it true that you can't use PHA3 as a desk amp while plugged in? (I was hoping that it would stop charging the battery and only uses AC while home)

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #156 of 1,922
  Great to hear that you are enjoying the PHA3, and man I'm so jealous you have Qualia010 :)

Question: is it true that you can't use PHA3 as a desk amp while plugged in? (I was hoping that it would stop charging the battery and only uses AC while home)

Thanks!

I'll let my battery runs down right now and use it later with AC plug in and report back.  I think it is possible to run the PHA3 off AC only, but it won't charge while playing.  Charging is only done when the unit is turned off.  This is still a huge plus given that the PHA-2 don't accept any dedicate charging line.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #158 of 1,922
  I'll let my battery runs down right now and use it later with AC plug in and report back.  I think it is possible to run the PHA3 off AC only, but it won't charge while playing.  Charging is only done when the unit is turned off.  This is still a huge plus given that the PHA-2 don't accept any dedicate charging line.

Actually it'd be PERFECT if that's case! I wouldn't want to overcharge and overheat the battery while it's running off AC. Ideally, when on AC, the PHA3 can function as a desk amp with no battery involved; then can be charged when OFF.

I love the battery care function in the last two generations of VAIO, really good for the battery. I have not noticed any visible battery degradation on my 20 months old VAIO Z3 and 9 months old VAIO Pro13 RED, which are always plugged in (pretty much like desktops); while the battery on my VAIO X505 without this feature, hasn't fared too well... DEAD 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I hope the engineers learnt something from their peers while designing the power "management" competent.

Looking forward to your "report", Cheers!!! 
atsmile.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #159 of 1,922
I've made a video about PHA-3, sorry for my english, but I hope it will be useful.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBaWGv0Erxw[/VIDEO]

I'll add brief impressions in writing later.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #161 of 1,922
So can it be used as a desk amp while plugged in and without charging the battery?

PHA-3 uses separate ports for PC/Mac connection and charging, and it runs on battery power only. So, for continuous usage, you'll need second micro USB cable and source of power. I've tried to use it with my Mac, using iPad charger to power PHA-3, it's working OK. But I'm not sure it won't impact battery life.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #162 of 1,922
PHA-3 uses separate ports for PC/Mac connection and charging, and it runs on battery power only. So, for continuous usage, you'll need second micro USB cable and source of power. I've tried to use it with my Mac, using iPad charger to power PHA-3, it's working OK. But I'm not sure it won't impact battery life.

Oh no, not what I wanted to hear. Oh well...

Thanks for the reply!

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #163 of 1,922

Actually it'd be PERFECT if that's case! I wouldn't want to overcharge and overheat the battery while it's running off AC. Ideally, when on AC, the PHA3 can function as a desk amp with no battery involved; then can be charged when OFF.

I love the battery care function in the last two generations of VAIO, really good for the battery. I have not noticed any visible battery degradation on my 20 months old VAIO Z3 and 9 months old VAIO Pro13 RED, which are always plugged in (pretty much like desktops); while the battery on my VAIO X505 without this feature, hasn't fared too well... DEAD 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I hope the engineers learnt something from their peers while designing the power "management" competent.

Looking forward to your "report", Cheers!!! 
atsmile.gif

It won't charge while playing that is for sure.  However, you can still use the unit on AC power as long as the unit has some battery left in it.  Otherwise, the unit will refuse to turn on even with the AC power from the micro USB line is connected.  Still this is an improvement over the PHA-2. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #164 of 1,922

It won't charge while playing that is for sure.  However, you can still use the unit on AC power as long as the unit has some battery left in it.  Otherwise, the unit will refuse to turn on even with the AC power from the micro USB line is connected.  Still this is an improvement over the PHA-2. 

Really stupid design, but maybe there are reasons behind it.

This won't be good for the battery 
confused_face.gif
 not cool, SONY!!!

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #165 of 1,922

The pha2 does exactly the same, no difference as I mentioned some post before. You can use the Walkman port as any other USB port, then have it connected to the ac by using the normal USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back