Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #211 of 1,922
As I said earlier, the issue is europeen electrical regulation rules. PHA-3 with battery doesnt match it.

My personnal guess is they didnt want to waste time to find a work around for such a niche market so they just removed the battery to solve the local law issue..... They better have not made it available here like PHA-1 & PHA-2 :S

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #215 of 1,922
It would only make sense if PHA-3 DAC/AMP are both superior sounding than the AK240...a big bulk of stuff to carry around nonetheless

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #216 of 1,922
Very, very true. I'm not sure at all... I do know I love the sound of my 240 and don't want it changed by another device. Just a bit louder would be nice at times. I should just stop and rwak it...

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #217 of 1,922
Very, very true. I'm not sure at all... I do know I love the sound of my 240 and don't want it changed by another device. Just a bit louder would be nice at times. I should just stop and rwak it...

As a fellow headfier, i certainly hope this sounds ways better... Look after your hearing, my friend.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #221 of 1,922
It would only make sense if PHA-3 DAC/AMP are both superior sounding than the AK240...a big bulk of stuff to carry around nonetheless

I don't have the AK240 but my PHA3 is pretty much on par with my Burson Conductor 1793 SL using a ZX-1 as a source (digital out to both DAC/AMP units).  I personally think that Sony did a really good job on this unit.  However, I still don't think the PHA-3 can drive a more difficult to drive phones such as my HD800 as good as a really good & more powerful home amps.  I doubt that the AK240 will be able to drive the HD800 that well either.  For easier drive phones such as my Qualia 010 & JH13pro, the PHA-3 does a wonderful job without any glaring shortcomings.  I reckon that the A17/ZX-1 should be at least as good as he AK240 if not better.  

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #222 of 1,922

I don't have the AK240 but my PHA3 is pretty much on par with my Burson Conductor 1793 SL using a ZX-1 as a source (digital out to both DAC/AMP units).  I personally think that Sony did a really good job on this unit.  However, I still don't think the PHA-3 can drive a more difficult to drive phones such as my HD800 as good as a really good & more powerful home amps.  I doubt that the AK240 will be able to drive the HD800 that well either.  For easier drive phones such as my Qualia 010 & JH13pro, the PHA-3 does a wonderful job without any glaring shortcomings.  I reckon that the A17/ZX-1 should be at least as good as he AK240 if not better.  

I have grado PS500 and westone UM3x would it be ok with drive and hiss?

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #223 of 1,922
No hiss at all on my unit. I think its great for iems. Output impedance is around 3 ohm, so it should work all right with most of them.

what output are you using balanced or single ended.  i mostly considering DAC for my iem. since i think i m more into IEMs rather than headphone. I use headphones only at home. I think don't need for that portable DAC.

for the moment I am kind a going forth and back between Centrance mini-m8 and Sony PHA-3, though former one is cheaper.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #225 of 1,922
Single ended

I'm still a little bummed how Sony implemented balanced on this one.  I've already invested in Hirose/RSA and 4 pin XLR cables, and now comes yet another cable system....

I do have a Z7, which includes a basic cable, but I keep hearing all this fuss about the improvement with the Kimber Kable options.  I guess I just wish Sony was more a "follower" in this regard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back