Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,788 of 1,922
Yes it can. In fact the Euro model has no battery and must use the usb

What? really? I want to use PHA-3 as external sound card for my laptop so lithium battery is not needed... I'll be running my laptop at least 14 hours a day so lithium battery can be dangerous in my case.
Where can I buy Euro version PHA-3?

Thanks,

EDIT: Sony PHA-3AC is the EU version... and it's selling for 1300 euros on Amazon Germany:
https://www.amazon.de/Sony-PHA-3AC-hochwertiger-Kopfhörerverstärker-schwarz/dp/B00NHOGHOO

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,789 of 1,922
What? really? I want to use PHA-3 as external sound card for my laptop so lithium battery is not needed... I'll be running my laptop at least 14 hours a day so lithium battery can be dangerous in my case.
Where can I buy Euro version PHA-3?

Thanks,

EDIT: Sony PHA-3AC is the EU version... and it's selling for 1300 euros on Amazon Germany:
https://www.amazon.de/Sony-PHA-3AC-hochwertiger-Kopfhörerverstärker-schwarz/dp/B00NHOGHOO
what is this AC version? An upgrade to the original PHA3 ? Or just without battery version?

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,790 of 1,922
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,791 of 1,922
Some people say PHA-3AC still has a lithium battery but it's used as a buffer.. not as a main power.
Nonetheless PHA-3AC is more ideal for desktop usage. Because PHA-3AC will automatically turn off as soon as your shut down your computer. Also, It will turn on itself when your computer starts up.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,792 of 1,922
I know this has been mentioned in the past but I’m still not clear on setup for the PHA3 with my iPhone. I know I can’t get high resolution if I use the lightning cable into the USB port. However, it appears I can get high res if I use the lightning to USB camera adapter.

So that gets me to female USB and it looks like I need to go to Sony’s special micro USB adapter, which is male micro USB. Am I correct that I just need a male USB to female micro USB connector?

In other words, I think I need this?

SIENOC USB 2.0 a Male to Micro USB Female Converter Adapter Adaptor Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GIF4E08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WBIjEbWMZBDJ6

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,794 of 1,922
In similar vein, how does the PHA-3 compare to the Sony WMIZ sound?

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,795 of 1,922
In similar vein, how does the PHA-3 compare to the Sony WMIZ sound?
good thinking, I owned the 1z, now if I order the pha-3 then I can compare (from memory)... may be similar sounding...

but the tube amp from BA300s is interesting... but theoretically I think ba300s can't surpass the 1z, but will be similar warm signature

verdict for me: pha 3 or ba300s which one I should get...

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,798 of 1,922
I know this has been mentioned in the past but I’m still not clear on setup for the PHA3 with my iPhone. I know I can’t get high resolution if I use the lightning cable into the USB port. However, it appears I can get high res if I use the lightning to USB camera adapter.

So that gets me to female USB and it looks like I need to go to Sony’s special micro USB adapter, which is male micro USB. Am I correct that I just need a male USB to female micro USB connector?

In other words, I think I need this?

SIENOC USB 2.0 a Male to Micro USB Female Converter Adapter Adaptor Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GIF4E08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WBIjEbWMZBDJ6

To answer my own question: you use an iPhone camera adapter (lightning to USB 2.0 female). Then an adapter from USB 2.0 male to micro USB female. That then connects to the special micro USB cable Sony supplies into the back of the PHA-3. I can verify the Hi-Fs light comes on and Roon confirms the full sample rate and resolution are delivered to the PHA-3.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #1,799 of 1,922
Better, slightly better. But only if you have good digital cables :D
Agreed but the PHA3 easily pull ahead on harder to drive headphones such as the HD800 or even the Z7 M2.

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #1,800 of 1,922
Sony has to release a new ph4 I think this one been so outdated by now.
No pentaconn no coax in maybe bluetooth Ldac would be great to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back