Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,816 of 1,922
audio is really weird , i used to own pha 3 back in 2016-17, used for 6 month with hd700 with dual balanced cable and sold it. change to chord mojo and felt it is an upgrade. Happy with it for few month sold it and bought ifi micro black label. Felt significant upgrade happy with it, kept it thinking i wont sold for anything in portable perspective. Later bought wm1a using on 4.4 with hd650, best sound i ever heard . Sold the black label since redundant (i have aune s7 pro which is miles better but not fair to compare). Now reading the old thread, notice people compare pha 3 with wm1z?. Maybe my ear broken edy lol.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #1,817 of 1,922
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #1,819 of 1,922
Absolutely agreed ! 5th day with PHA3 - And I am liking the PHA-3 more than WM1Z - sound difference is so high scaled ! I am using Sony's stock micro USB (the one with one pin on the left) to Walkman cable. Using Wakman just as a digital output - just pha-3's sound - simply just touchy and pleasing :)

thanks to everyone who have spoken good of pha-3 and made me a good decision :)
funny question but, since u using as digital output only, driving directly from computer ie, should give no difference?,

but based on my experience there are still significant different in SQ

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #1,821 of 1,922
Dont have it yet. I was thinking maybe if I really like the pha3 instead of 1z...

At first il try pha3 from s9 and laptop.

I know zx-507 dont sound as good as 1a or 1z I heard it at canjam
do update ur finding, im thinking to grab the pha3 again

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #1,822 of 1,922
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #1,824 of 1,922
Just got the pha-3. Yes, awesome sound. The dsee-hx button whether on or off doesn't sound any different at all. In dsd no difference at all from off to on but for 44.1khz mp3 (320b) there is a bit of sound change but really not that much, so I keep it off all the time hoping to save battery life. Charging it takes some time to reach full but it's ok.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,825 of 1,922
Have any of you PHA-3 users paired it with newer Sony phones like the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R? Does it pair as well with those as it did with the older Z5 and Z7?
Yes for both the IER and MDR. I’ve owned my PHA-3 for over 4 years and I’m still impressed by it. I was using it earlier today with my Focal Clear/WM1Z and it pairs well with that as well.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,826 of 1,922
audio is really weird , i used to own pha 3 back in 2016-17, used for 6 month with hd700 with dual balanced cable and sold it. change to chord mojo and felt it is an upgrade. Happy with it for few month sold it and bought ifi micro black label. Felt significant upgrade happy with it, kept it thinking i wont sold for anything in portable perspective. Later bought wm1a using on 4.4 with hd650, best sound i ever heard . Sold the black label since redundant (i have aune s7 pro which is miles better but not fair to compare). Now reading the old thread, notice people compare pha 3 with wm1z?. Maybe my ear broken edy lol.

I have both the WM1A and the PHA3. The PHA3 sounds about 25% better than the wm1a to me in both modes. If the pha3 had a 4.4 connection it’d be perfect. If the wm1z can match this amp,I just may save up,for it. Although the current jewel of my eye are the ier z1r’s

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #1,827 of 1,922
I have both the WM1A and the PHA3. The PHA3 sounds about 25% better than the wm1a to me in both modes. If the pha3 had a 4.4 connection it’d be perfect. If the wm1z can match this amp,I just may save up,for it. Although the current jewel of my eye are the ier z1r’s
i dont really think u can quantify that subjective difference into percentage, but i do forgot already how pha3 sound on balanced, also might be bad synergy between headphone i owned earlier.
i tempt to get the pha 3 again (since i can get it here for around usd 200 used-like new condition), but give up since hassle to use it due to battery/charging time/auto shutdown if too warm.

i have the ier z1r for home usage and wm1a is a wonderful pair, dx228 also another excellent pairing

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,828 of 1,922
i dont really think u can quantify that subjective difference into percentage, but i do forgot already how pha3 sound on balanced, also might be bad synergy between headphone i owned earlier.
i tempt to get the pha 3 again (since i can get it here for around usd 200 used-like new condition), but give up since hassle to use it due to battery/charging time/auto shutdown if too warm.

i have the ier z1r for home usage and wm1a is a wonderful pair, dx228 also another excellent pairing

Its definitely subjective,maybe it is a synergy thing because I only use Sony headphones or iems with the pha. It just gives them an extra oomph and soundstage. The Z5’s to me sound completely different through that amp. It makes them sing.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,829 of 1,922
Its definitely subjective,maybe it is a synergy thing because I only use Sony headphones or iems with the pha. It just gives them an extra oomph and soundstage. The Z5’s to me sound completely different through that amp. It makes them sing.
make sense if u using z5 as reference, it would be different outcome when u use it with ier z1r later on

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,830 of 1,922
make sense if u using z5 as reference, it would be different outcome when u use it with ier z1r later on

it made the same difference for the over the head Z7’s and for the over the head Z1r’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back