Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #256 of 626
Quote:

Beyerdynamic T 5 P is different class to Fostex TH 900 
with Fostex Hp P 1 sound quality with Sony PHA 1 more fuller sound , more detail and more clarity and has better bass detail .
overall TH 900 more enjoyable than T 5 P 

Thanks Rudi. Here in Australia not too far from you I think, T5p is currently half the price of TH900! Maybe T5p is closer to TH600? All the best to enjoy your head-fi gear.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #257 of 626
I'm interested in buying this dac/amp to use with my iPhone (currently 4s)
My question is; can I answer calls through the PHA, while it's connected digitally to the phone
iPhone>USB>PHA>IEM
Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #258 of 626
Quote:

Thanks Rudi. Here in Australia not too far from you I think, T5p is currently half the price of TH900! Maybe T5p is closer to TH600? All the best to enjoy your head-fi gear.

You are welcome AJHeadfi
i don't have TH 600 and haven't heard my friend TH 600 .
T5p is very good portable headphone too .

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #259 of 626
Looks like this is coming to the US - it's being advertised for pre-order here.  Maybe I can get an English-language manual...

I've been using mine a fair amount, mostly with my MG6PROs.  I like it pretty well.  It took a considerable time to burn in - I thought it was horrible out of the box - but after three or four days it really opened up.  It's definitely on par with the best of my other transportable setups - CLAS/various amps - and much more convenient, which was the point for me of getting it.  Some observations:

-very precise but not the widest soundstage - not bad, but not as spacious as the best;

-fabulously extended and textured bass, maybe the best I've heard;

-iffy handshake with iDevices.  I'm qualifying this because it's VERY sensitive to IC integrity - when I'm carrying it around it's very easy to shift the USB cable and lose the connection.  But right now half the time when I turn everything on I have to disconnect and reconnect the IC.  That always fixes it but I've never had that problem with my CLAS.  I'll play with securing the current cable and maybe trying others.

UPDATE:  It's not the firmware, my short Apple/USB cable was losing its connection.  When it's all plugged in properly everything works fine.

-the size is just manageable as a transportable, at least the way I use it.  I can slip it in an inside overcoat pocket on the train and it's OK.  It's definitely not going in a pants pocket.

-I'm not precise about run-time but with my Touch 4G I'm getting something like five hours or better.

-It won't both charge and run in iDevice mode.  When the USB cable goes in it seems to default to computer mode and won't run from the iDevice.

-It wants to charge from a lower-power USB source.  I charge a lot of my devices with a 3G iPad charger and most of them take it just fine.  On the PHA-1 the red charge light lights, it takes forever to charge, and then the red light goes to a long on/short off intermittent blink without in fact taking much of a charge at all.  Using a lower-powered source it charges faster, the red light goes out, and it's fine.  This may be addressed in the Japanese manual, but I can't read it...

-It's beautifully built, a rung or two above any of the rest of the portable amp/DACs I've seen.  Really impressive.  The rail/rubber strap configuration is really clever and works really well, but won't take too much stress; it's fine for desktop use but the straps will come off in a pocket, so I've got my Touch on dual lock.

That's it so far.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #260 of 626
I'm excited to get this for my iPhone 5, can't wait to rock it alongside with my ATH-M50. No more Lightning to 30 pin needed, finally an amp that works with just the lightning cable. I would need to find a shorter cable though that is.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #265 of 626
perfect with iPod classic and M100 sound wise but like this pic better 
biggrin.gif

Seller, off Amazon, went the extra mile and also sent me a manual in English even though he PHA-1 is a Japan version

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #267 of 626
quiet with all the phones and IEMs I have tried with it- hate hiss from amps
Seem clearer - opened up the sound(vocals, instruments), from my brief comparison 
Really never master the terms and knowing different people might have different definitions of terms so I am wary of comparing stuff but I like it so far. 
Trying out, at the moment,a few portable amp/DAC and then will keep the ones I like.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #268 of 626
so worked great with portable, but when I hooked it up to use with my MacBook Pro via digital in, sounded really bad. I am guessing I need to change some settings on the MAC? and have to turned it way up via audio in 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #269 of 626
How does the dac section compare to the HP-P1, CLAS, and VentureCraft DD1?

I've owned the HP_P1 and have a review unit of the PHA-1 that I've used for a few months. I also am borrowing a DD Socket 1 from a friend.

I like them all but at the end of the day, I like the DD Socket 1 for both SQ as well as the fact that I can pair whatever amp I want to it. For those of you who would rather have great SQ in 1 unit, either the PHA-1 or the HP_P1 are both great packages. Their feature sets are slightly different and their SQ are also slightly different but I think the feature sets are more different than the SQ. If you want the optical out, then the HP_P1 is a great unit. If you want the better product design of the PHA-1 as well as the ability to take audio from a computer, then go for the Sony.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #270 of 626
Quote:
I've owned the HP_P1 and have a review unit of the PHA-1 that I've used for a few months. I also am borrowing a DD Socket 1 from a friend.

I like them all but at the end of the day, I like the DD Socket 1 for both SQ as well as the fact that I can pair whatever amp I want to it. For those of you who would rather have great SQ in 1 unit, either the PHA-1 or the HP_P1 are both great packages. Their feature sets are slightly different and their SQ are also slightly different but I think the feature sets are more different than the SQ. If you want the optical out, then the HP_P1 is a great unit. If you want the better product design of the PHA-1 as well as the ability to take audio from a computer, then go for the Sony.

Thank you very much for your impressions. I figured the DD Socket 1 would win out on SQ alone. I've gotten my unit in from Japan, and I absolutely love it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back