Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Sep 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #496 of 626
Considering getting one of these..
My only concern is I plan to get the new iPhone when it comes out.
You guys think there will be any compatible issues?
If I had to guess, I wouldn't think there would be any problems at all.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #497 of 626
  Considering getting one of these..
My only concern is I plan to get the new iPhone when it comes out.
You guys think there will be any compatible issues?
If I had to guess, I wouldn't think there would be any problems at all.

If it supports the current iPhone's lightning port, you're fine.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #498 of 626
PHA-1... Simply amazing!!!

But the included USB cable for the iPod is quite long and and easy to get bugged... So i made a tiny one myself... I can Put it on my bag and not worry about it getting bugged.

Its quite rigid as well, if feels solid when installed. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #499 of 626
I lost one of my rubber bands. Anybody know how to source them?

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #500 of 626
  I lost one of my rubber bands. Anybody know how to source them?

Tough luck, Sony doesn't really sell that part anywhere...

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #501 of 626
Hey guys I have one of these and I recently found out on audiobot9000.com ( http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/akg/q701/with/sony/pha1 ) that it actually cannot really drive Q701. I wonder if I should sell it or just get an external amp (JDS O2 for example)? 

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #503 of 626
Haha no I have both )) 

Your proposed scenario would be really worrisome. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #504 of 626
  Hey guys I have one of these and I recently found out on audiobot9000.com ( http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/akg/q701/with/sony/pha1 ) that it actually cannot really drive Q701. I wonder if I should sell it or just get an external amp (JDS O2 for example)? 

The O2 would pair wonderfully with the Q701 and probably give you a noticeable quality increase (provided you get the O2 and the ODAC)

But the Qs are not hard to drive at all. I HIGHLY doubt the PHA-1 can't handle them.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #505 of 626
I wonder now - I can obviously hear difference between unamped q701 and phA-1. Wondef what a stronger amp will do..
What about Valhalla2? Seems interesting and also fun to get a tube thing

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #506 of 626
I wonder now - I can obviously hear difference between unamped q701 and phA-1. Wondef what a stronger amp will do..

I personally cannot stand tubes and Schiit's low end products never did it for me. Unless you find the Qs too bright I'd say skip it.

A 'stronger' amp will likely increase control and extension, but by negligible amounts. The reason I said the O2 would pair well with it is because the O2+ODAC is a very transparent setup which will allow the Qs to reach their full potential.

Cheers.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #507 of 626

I personally cannot stand tubes and Schiit's low end products never did it for me. Unless you find the Qs too bright I'd say skip it.

A 'stronger' amp will likely increase control and extension, but by negligible amounts. The reason I said the O2 would pair well with it is because the O2+ODAC is a very transparent setup which will allow the Qs to reach their full potential.

Cheers.

takato14: Do you own the O2 and ODAC yet?

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #508 of 626

Cheers.

Interesting! Thank you for suggestion. I just happen to have a pretty good solid-state amp (old Harman Kardon 930 ) and PHA-1 so thought getting tube thing would be a curious move. 
I will look deeper into O2/Odac though!

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #509 of 626
takato14: Do you own the O2 and ODAC yet?

Me, not yet, but my friend does (as well as the Q701).

I gave them a listen and thought they were quite impressive; much more than they were out of my Pandora. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #510 of 626
Recently, I bought a PHA-1 from a Chinese online audio store advertising on TMall. The price was approximately the same as the MSRP in Japan (i.e. not the usual crazy "import markup", but not stupidly cheap either). The DAC came in the correct box, marked "Chinese market only", and all the expected accessories were supplied, including Walkman LOD and spare iPod straps. On the underside of the unit there is a serial number and a product information label in Mandarin. It sounds the same as the one which I tested at Jaben.

After about six months of light use, the print on the side panel, around the gain selector, has worn away. All other print is robust. Is this to be expected, or should I suspect my PHA-1 of being a fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back