Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 626
Quote:
It is not just for iDevices as it has cable for use with the WM-Port on Sony walkman and also standard stereo mini. When connected to iDevice, the PHA-1 does not charge the battery. As for battery life, it lasts only 5 hours when connected via digital-in and up to 10 hours when connected via analog-in. It seems to play only up to 16bit/48kHz when connected to iDevice

The article states that the WM-Port of the Sony Walkmans don't output digital so it's really just a LOD cable outputting to the analog input of the amp, which makes the DAC portion of the PHA-1 useless in such a setup.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 626
Guys, is it just me or does it seem a little on the chunky side?

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 626
This is what I've been hoping for; a do-everything DAC/amp... iPod/PC/standalone amp. Thank you, Sony!

Subbed... 
popcorn.gif

Thanks for the link.

It sure looks nice on the outside, I hope Sony has made it just as nice on the inside.

It's about time they made a dedicated headphone amp, the price is quite a bit higher than a lot of the stereo receivers though and they're not exactly in the niche sector.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 626
Quote:
Have you seen the HP-P1???  this one looks chunky but looks like it has better form factor to accommodate a strapped idevice.

Okay, fair enough.  I guess I've just been spoiled by Sony's usually stellar miniaturization efforts.
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 626
I'll assume they have a typo and it should be LME49860. Not a bad choice on the gain stage opamp, but TPA6120 on the output stage means it will have at least 10ohm of output impedance (minimum as suggested by manufacturer) and better for full size rather than IEM. On a side note, the crossover-less of Sony own XBA series might go well (better than typical multi-way IEM) with this amp.

So the Sony XBA series will sound better with high output impedance than typical multi-way IEM's?

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 626
I have the feeling this amp is using really lacklustre internal parts and there is something amiss with Sony's latest dev. team. =/

Like, 4 1/2 hours of portable WM8740 sound for $600.................

Come on they could at least use the LME49990.

...or the internals of a famous Sony Discman instead.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 626
A bit early to say about implementation, don't you think? A little faith for sony's dev team, they do design good products. I do agree that the current audio lineup has been frankly, rather crappy in a way. Their older products still seem to outshine the newer ones to me.

bleh corrections, @kiteki yes

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 626
Sony makes amazing products like the PS3 and inventing the Discman, Walkman, Minidisc........ so releasing something that is essentially a circuit optimized Teclast T51 at 4 times the thickness and 4 times the price is a disappointment when they have the capacity to release something completely new or use the internals of a classic Aiwa walkman with modern amplification.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 626
Looks pretty interesting.  This might be nice for people who feel that the Fostex HP-P! is too expensive, and are looking for a USB DAC capability. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #27 of 626
Quote:
Sony makes amazing products like the PS3 and inventing the Discman, Walkman, Minidisc........ so releasing something that is essentially a circuit optimized Teclast T51 at 4 times the thickness and 4 times the price is a disappointment when they have the capacity to release something completely new or use the internals of a classic Aiwa walkman with modern amplification.

At 50000 yen, it better compete with the HP-P1.
Quote:
Looks pretty interesting.  This might be nice for people who feel that the Fostex HP-P! is too expensive, and are looking for a USB DAC capability. 

If the fostex is too expensive, you will be better of looking at a Go DAP X.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 626

Another transportable unit with DAC chip that is not really audiophile grade. Dont see how can they compete against the fostex which seems to be technically more advance and feature wise far better, with not much of  price margin differences. 

Bottom line:At $300 to $350 this would be a great unit, at $400-450, it is just  fashion statement, at $450-500, it is a rip off. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 626
So the Sony XBA series will sound better with high output impedance than typical multi-way IEM's?

No, that's not what I mean. One of the most obvious effect an high output impedance does to multi-way IEM is that it changes how the crossover behaves because of the added impedance to the RC circuit. This changes the corner frequency of the circuit which result in boosting / reducing in certain frequency range / coloration. Since XBA series use mechanical crossover instead of electronics crossover, high output impedance will have much less negative effect than on conventional multi-way IEM. Basically, less / no coloration = better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back