Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #32 of 626
I'm really trying to figure why Sony seems to be going overboard to appease iPod owners but ignoring Walkman owners (I love the WM-Z)... why only a line-out for a Walkman?... it's like they're saying iPlods are better... so strange.

Love the design of this thing.

old Walkmans were simply brilliant >walks out thread sobbing<

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #33 of 626
Quote:
I'm really trying to figure why Sony seems to be going overboard to appease iPod owners but ignoring Walkman owners (I love the WM-Z)... why only a line-out for a Walkman?... it's like they're saying iPlods are better... so strange.

Right on!

Today I decided to dust of the good old 1 GB walkman (now well over 10 years old) and decided to test it with ER4S, I was shocked on how good it made it sound. So after experimenting with that I decided to convert my flac to AAC and upload to the nws S739, and used the line out connected with the O2! The dynamic normalizer future turned on and with the EQ man the sound is incredible! 

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #36 of 626
I'm sorry, but this thing is ugly.
I got excited when i saw the thread, but this design looks like it came from their boombox team.
I understand they port guards, but it would have looked better without it, or  could have been done in a more attractive manner.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #37 of 626
Quote:
Right on!

Today I decided to dust of the good old 1 GB walkman (now well over 10 years old) and decided to test it with ER4S, I was shocked on how good it made it sound. So after experimenting with that I decided to convert my flac to AAC and upload to the nws S739, and used the line out connected with the O2! The dynamic normalizer future turned on and with the EQ man the sound is incredible! 

I still miss my top-of-the-range Sony Walkman Professional cassette player... I loved that thing... RIP ole buddy.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this thing is ugly.
I got excited when i saw the thread, but this design looks like it came from their boombox team.
I understand they port guards, but it would have looked better without it, or  could have been done in a more attractive manner.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Neco Soundlab V3, the design is umm err industrial looking but built like a tank (it's all about the sound/music at the end of the day, the design is secondry)... if you look at the guards closely it looks like that Sony has allowed a bit for vertical straps/bands(?) to be connected... that clip thingy doesn't look too secure.

Quote:
I went to Sony Ginza to try PHA-1 today.
The size of PHA-1 was about the same as DX100.

+1 on a quick review on the sound & soundstage.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #38 of 626
Quote:

I think you 've got it all wrong... The Z doesn't need any extra to sound good, well except if you want to drive full size cans. But Sony feels sorry for people with  iDevice so produced  an external DAC for those poor sods so they can enjoy  decent sound. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 626
Quote:

I still miss my top-of-the-range Sony Walkman Professional cassette player... I loved that thing... RIP ole buddy.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Neco Soundlab V3, the design is umm err industrial looking but built like a tank (it's all about the sound/music at the end of the day, the design is secondry)... if you look at the guards closely it looks like that Sony has allowed a bit for vertical straps/bands(?) to be connected... that clip thingy doesn't look too secure.

+1 on a quick review on the sound & soundstage.

The Neco is a bit chunky, but looks better to my eyes. Agreed sound is number one. With that said, it would have to sound pretty damn amazing to make up for those looks.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #41 of 626
Quote:

The Neco is a bit chunky, but looks better to my eyes. Agreed sound is number one. With that said, it would have to sound pretty damn amazing to make up for those looks.

No offense but it's an amp not a handbag with matching shoes for your wife/girlfriend. Small rectangular mobile amps look like well......small rectangular amps. I'd be more concerned if the volume pot was lime green and the chassis was hot pink but it isn't so it's all good.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #42 of 626
This looks interesting. Subscribed. 

In terms of it's form factor, I'm very happy to see that Sony's industrial design is still topnotch. Being a designer myself, I can see the aesthetic logic underneath their product design. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #43 of 626
Quote:
No offense but it's an amp not a handbag with matching shoes for your wife/girlfriend. Small rectangular mobile amps look like well......small rectangular amps. I'd be more concerned if the volume pot was lime green and the chassis was hot pink but it isn't so it's all good.

You're right it's not, but coming from a company where design is so inherently a part of its success, i think they missed the mark with this one. They should have kept it simple. The port guards are trying to hard to make a statement while being functional.

I'd still give it a listen and credit if due.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #44 of 626
Quote:
I think you 've got it all wrong... The Z doesn't need any extra to sound good, well except if you want to drive full size cans. But Sony feels sorry for people with  iDevice so produced  an external DAC for those poor sods so they can enjoy  decent sound. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

your right but I'm getting some Grado's so am considering amp'ing... giggled at the last bit where you're totally right again.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #45 of 626
Quote:
I went to Sony Ginza to try PHA-1 today.
The size of PHA-1 was about the same as DX100.

You lucky guy.  Did they have it for sale too? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back