Sony PFR-V1 vs MDR-F1 - preferences?
Aug 25, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
As in title. Same company, similiar concepts. One "old school", the other "new school".

For those who have heard both:

1. Which has better extension?
2. Which is more cohesive?
3. Which do you prefer? And why?

And any other thoughts potential contributors think of.

TIA.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 22
I am also curious.

Without starting a new thread, I am curious about the MDR-F1 versus the SA5000 (which I love).

I have owned the PFR-V1 and they were not all that comfortable. Maybe I was not using them correctly, but the sonic characteristics were fantastic.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 22
I have both, and like them very much. It is hard to say which would be the best choice for your questions...The V1s are a more detailed phone, with a SQ that I would call a super Etymotic 4S. The F1 would be more comparable to the Westone UM2.

The F1, after many hours of break-in does provide more and deeper bass, but after one adjusts to the sound of each by listening for 10 minutes or so, one doesn't really notice this difference.

Imaging and soundstage is probably more realistic in the V1, but the F1 is still better than most anything else other than the V1.

I did need to make a small mod to my V1 to increase the weight of the lower frequencies, but this as just a simple addition of some eartips to the bass tubes.

Comfort is superb with both of these phones, perhaps the best of any conventional headphone.

The Dork factor is certainly greater with the V1s! As many have said, they look like an orthodontic applicance!.

I guess the bottom line would certainly be personal preference, and especially would depend on the type of music one prefers.

The V1s are for sure not well suited to rock. They really shine on vocals and instrumentals, particularly classical.

If I was forced to choose between the two, and could only keep one of them, it would be a close call, but I would have to say I would likely choose the F1.

I hope this is of some help. It is a hard post to answer.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 22
I haven't heard both, but I owned the PFR-V1. They sound very much like ER4P/S. With terrific soundstage.
I found them extremely uncomfortable though. The bass tube really hurt my ears after 30 minutes or so....

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 22
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.

Sonic impressions for the PFR-V1 seem pretty consistent, and up my alley:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight
The V1s are a more detailed phone, with a SQ that I would call a super Etymotic 4S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
I owned the PFR-V1. They sound very much like ER4P/S. With terrific soundstage.

For an Etymotic lover, such as myself, these are rave reviews. Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFLight
The V1s are for sure not well suited to rock. They really shine on vocals and instrumentals, particularly classical.

My musical tastes are pretty ecclectic, but female vocals, singer-songwriter acoustic, jazz, & chamber classical (cello & violin) are my favs. Seems like a good match?

However, comfort seems a bit split:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver
I have owned the PFR-V1 and they were not all that comfortable. Maybe I was not using them correctly,

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight
Comfort is superb with both of these phones, perhaps the best of any conventional headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
I found (the PFR-V1's) extremely uncomfortable though. The bass tube really hurt my ears after 30 minutes or so

I'm reading the V1's lean toward the not-so comfortable. That's not-so-good, as I'm looking for a pair I can wear for extended periods, & virtually disappear on my head.

Sonic impressions for the MDR-F1's still seem all over the place, as they were for past reviews. No one seems to make consistent observations about them, except that they are extremely comfortable for long-term wear.

I think I'm looking for an F1 that sounds like a V1.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 22
I tried a pair of MDR-F1s at a meet... they are extremely comfortable. The sound quality was not immediately impressive, though - I think it was mid-fi at best, i.e., rolled-off bass, slightly flat soundstage, etc.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 22
I have had the opportunity to test both, which are owned by HiFlight. Since I first listened to the F1 about a year ago I felt they were something special in the confort, space between the notes, and great soundstage.

I found the V1 to be unconfortable as compared w/ the F1 but less than most IEM's. Both of these cans are to be used in a quiet environment to prevent the noise/talk from interfeering w/ your listening pleasure. At the same time I would not use this in a bus/library so as not to bother others.

If I had to choose I would select the F1.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 22
I think the V1 comfort level is very dependent on proper adjustment. I find mine comfortable, but again, I have some rubber grommet eartips on the bass tubes. For your musical preference, the V1 would be about ideal. It is at its best at rather modest volume levels. At higher levels, it can become a bit strident.

The F1 takes many hours to fully develop a good bottom end. I probably have well over 500 hours on mine. I would not by any means call them mid-fi.

As I switch back and forth while writing this, I find the soundstage of both to be similar. Detail goes to the V1, bass impact to the F1.

Overall sense of realism and being there live ...The V1 is clearly the winner.

The V1 is absolutely stunning when listening to binaural recordings...the best sounding phone I have ever used for binaural.

On an earlier post, I said I would probably keep the F1 if I could only choose one....that was a typo...I meant the V1.

I think the bass tube mod is essential however. Here is a pix of the simple addition. This improves both sound and comfort. I will probably try to find something a little less industrial looking and a bit softer.

PFRmod2.jpg

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 22
the V1 is a strange beast, I have just received one and find it has a great soundstage and good bass. The comfort was not an issue but I have yet to do a multi hour session with them. My main concern is the highs are not refined and sound a bit harsh.

This was having them amped by my Eddie Current HD2. They did not compare well to my 650s or Audio Technica ad2000s.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the V1 is a strange beast, I have just received one and find it has a great soundstage and good bass. The comfort was not an issue but I have yet to do a multi hour session with them. My main concern is the highs are not refined and sound a bit harsh.

This was having them amped by my Eddie Current HD2. They did not compare well to my 650s or Audio Technica ad2000s.

I find that the amp makes quite a difference with these phones. My O1-DAC which I like a lot sounds quite harsh in the highs..strident, rather than harsh would be a better word.

However there is no evidence of that with my D2, iQube, or Earmax Pro.

They sound really good with my Head-Direct EF1. I think they seem to favor tube amps.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 22
just to clarify, they are not harsh in a cheap headphone kind of way, they are just not as refined as the 650, Ad 2ks or rs1s. They could have been a great headphone if sony had designed it with the high end in mind. Conceptually it is a winner but could have used a better (more refined) driver and less cheap cable. The design of the cable is pitiful for a dedicated home rig. The short ultra thin cable with either the booster amp or 1/4 cable attachment looks to have been designed to try and appeal to all. I have then on loan to a few headfiers in the area to get their feedback.
The amp I use is a tube amp
evil_smiley.gif
IMG_2180.jpg

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 22
You can loan me that amp, if you like! LOL

I agree that the V1 cabling leave something to be desired. The F1 cable is also rather anemic. I'm not real sure that the V1 could be recabled very easily. I don't often use the booster.

I do find that the V1 highs have improved with time. It will be interesting to see how it sounds after several hundred hours. The F1 didn't really sound that great until over 500 hours, especially the bass.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 22
[size=xx-small]Subwoofer?[/size]

Anyone try either of these with a subwoofer?

Some have reported good results in a similiar configuration with AKG K1000's.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]Subwoofer?[/size]

Anyone try either of these with a subwoofer?

Some have reported good results in a similiar configuration with AKG K1000's.

I just can't quite get my head around the idea of listening to K1000s (which I have yet to do) with an external subwoofer.

Wouldn't one be better off just sticking with speakers?
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 22
i dont have them sonys But some times i use my yorkville PA system(2 pulsar10" and 2 elit12") to ad more of body feeling to the experiens,but im using IEM´s!
great resault dooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back