Sony PCM M10 as portable player?
Oct 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #136 of 250
Yeah, HiSound GUI is atrocious but it does let me play/shuffle my whole microSD card... If the Sony is folder per folder, that's going to be tough! (as I'd like to vary my music). I also read that in order to traverse folders I have to stop playing music? LOL Are there any custom firmware flying around? :wink:

It looks like it could be a great combo with my Leckerton but... still not sure if I should jump on it :wink:

Thanks. (going to that other forum now )

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #137 of 250
Thanks for the tip about the rechargeable battery setting in the menu.  Just adjusted mine and the battery charge indicator looks more accurate now.  I didn't know this unit could shuffle at all.  How is that done?

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #138 of 250
Thanks for the tip about the rechargeable battery setting in the menu.  Just adjusted mine and the battery charge indicator looks more accurate now.  I didn't know this unit could shuffle at all.  How is that done?

I don't know for sure if it can. I really don't use it as a player. I'm pretty much an apple fanboy when it comes to players and computers. And phones. It is an excellent recorder, which is my use for it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #139 of 250
We should wait for mike to see this. He really knows the ins and outs of this thing. The way I like yo do it is make different folders and I'll sometimes put an album in a folder or I'll drop a mix of songs into a folder and do it that way. I only just got my headphones back like 3 days ago so I haven't really been able to use it nor have I really had the time because I moved recently and am kinda a gypsy with no home at the moment.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #140 of 250
Quote:
We should wait for mike to see this. He really knows the ins and outs of this thing. The way I like yo do it is make different folders and I'll sometimes put an album in a folder or I'll drop a mix of songs into a folder and do it that way. I only just got my headphones back like 3 days ago so I haven't really been able to use it nor have I really had the time because I moved recently and am kinda a gypsy with no home at the moment.

No home, but a $1,500. portable stereo rig!  A man after my own heart.  If life ever dealt me enough wrong turns at once, I can totally see myself eating out of a McDonald's dumpster, with a $1,500 portable rig strapped on...

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #141 of 250
No home, but a $1,500. portable stereo rig!  A man after my own heart.  If life ever dealt me enough wrong turns at once, I can totally see myself eating out of a McDonald's dumpster, with a $1,500 portable rig strapped on...

lmao! I know right! Hopefully I'll have a permanent residence soon!

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #142 of 250
Hi gelocks!

Quote:
Sooooo...
I didn't get through this whole thread but a week ago I was looking at recorders (just because sometimes I use my phone to record "ideas" with my guitar...) and while reading a review I noticed that the reviewer used this as an "MP3 player" also and of course I started wondering how it would fare... Fast forward to today and lo and behold I see a post from kskwerl in the Mad Dogs headphones thread and he is using it as a player too!

Of course I have a couple of questions! :wink:

I already had one answered on this very same page, it seems the Recorder can read 64GB microSD cards! (yay!!!!) The other ones:

1) Battery Life. I see people saying 40+ hours but is that 40 hours recording or playing music?
2) It seems the GUI is not the best for a music player of course (I don't think it could be worse than mi Hisound Studio V! LOL!) but can you shuffle THE WHOLE microSD card? Or just 1 folder at a time?
3) Is it only powered by double A batteries? Do you use rechargeable batteries and does the unit provide means to charge them?
4) Does it pair well with amps? I see kskwerl uses an Ibasso... is the line out "bright" by any chance? (I have a Leckerton UHA 6SMKII)

and... I forgot the others.... :wink:

Any help you can provide will be appreciated!

Thanks.

1)  I'm not sure, but I think it's more like 35 hours of battery life, whether you are playing or recording...  

2) There is no feature for random (shuffle) playback.  But it does give you the ability to do repeat playback of the entire library, a single folder, a single song, or a portion of a song that you have tagged for loop playback. 

From Page 52 of the Sony PCM-M10 manual:

3)  Yes, you can use rechargeable AA batteries (i.e. Eneloop NiMh AAs).   It also has a jack for external 3-Volt DC power input, but you can't charge the batteries that way.

4)  I'd say the it pairs very well with headphone amps.  It is indeed a little bit bright, which works very well with a neutral amp and headphones like the LCD-2, which have shelved highs.  It would also be a good match for more neutral headphones and warmer sounding amp.  The PCM-M10's Headphone Out jack can be reprogrammed as a Line Out jack (via the "Detail Menu -> Audio Out" parameter.) In other words, you can bypass the PCM-M10's internal headphone amplifier, to connect an external amp directly to the analog output of the PCM-M10's DAC.  It does not offer S/PDIF out, however.  

I've been using mine for 23 months now, almost daily.  For the first 18 months, I used it with a Meier Stepdance -> LCD-2.  For the past 5 months I've been using it with an iBasso PB2 -> LCD-2.  And now that I figured out how to reformat 64GB microSDXC cards to FAT32, I'm loving it even more!  

biggrin.gif

Mike

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #144 of 250
Quote:
Hi gelocks!

1)  I'm not sure, but I think it's more like 35 hours of battery life, whether you are playing or recording...  

2) There is no feature for random (shuffle) playback.  But it does give you the ability to do repeat playback of the entire library, a single folder, a single song, or a portion of a song that you have tagged for loop playback. 

From Page 52 of the Sony PCM-M10 manual:

I've been using mine for 23 months now, almost daily.  For the first 18 months, I used it with a Meier Stepdance -> LCD-2.  For the past 5 months I've been using it with an iBasso PB2 -> LCD-2.  And now that I figured out how to reformat 64GB microSDXC cards to FAT32, I'm loving it even more!  

biggrin.gif

Mike

So the "ALL" option is actually ALL: of the folders available on the External memory card?!? That should be nice... no Shuffle, but what the heck... LOL
I don't think Sony is fond of changing their Portable Recorders firmware...

Thanks for your answers!

And agree on the 64GB cards! I was used to my Archos 7 (160GB) MP3 player but the IT guys at work thought it to be a "Security" problem even though I have been using it for 3+ years (and telephones nowadays are probably more 'dangerous' with respect to security breaches). So I had to stop using my Archos... Then I got a Sansa Clip Zip just because I knew that you could use 64gb microSD cards! Then after that, I bought the HiSound Studio V which... it's Ok... but... I'm getting the itch of buying this player/recorder... Maybe I'll even sell my HiSound Studio V... hmmmm...

:p

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #149 of 250
I have the  m10, and found it does not come close to the purposely built hifi player like 801 or c4. It is a bit wasteful just using them to play music.

I always made playlists with it in folders,its for critical listening not something you would take to the gym. Its DAC is also superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back