Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,036 of 7,711

We both know that "should" doesn't come into it! 
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your NW-ZX1, and be merry, 'grandad'!
beerchug.gif

Thank you.....but i'll NEVER be a Grandad ! lol

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,038 of 7,711

We expect a detailed review from you guys within 3 days afterward.....especially you, Turok! 
wink.gif
  We are counting on you soldiers!

3 days!!!!

3 minutes and I will start posting
biggrin.gif

I really hope so Purk, I really do .

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,039 of 7,711
  http://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/zx1_interview/
From this site the package of ZX1 is so luxurious for me :)
Waiting for coming December

In the 'Sound' category there is a picture of the ZX-1 opened. Does that mean the battery is replaceable? I wish i understood Japanese. Why, can't these websites add a translation into English if that not too much asking???

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,040 of 7,711

In the 'Sound' category there is a picture of the ZX-1 opened. Does that mean the battery is replaceable? I wish i understood Japanese. Why, can't these websites add a translation into English if that not too much asking???

I very much doubt it.

Many of those pictures are of various stages and aspects of the product's engineering, rather than intended as indicative of the back actually being user-removable. I'm not saying it'd be impossible or customers to remove the back, but I doubt it would be doable without a screwdriver and voiding the warranty.

If you mean can the battery be replaced at the end of it's service life of circa 500 charges, then I expect the battery is probably proprietary and thus would have to be replaced by a Sony service centre or at least be sourced through Sony.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,041 of 7,711

I very much doubt it.

Many of those pictures are of various stages and aspects of the product's engineering, rather than intended as indicative of the back actually being user-removable. I'm not saying it'd be impossible or customers to remove the back, but I doubt it would be doable without a screwdriver and voiding the warranty.

If you mean can the battery be replaced at the end of it's service life of circa 500 charges, then I expect the battery is probably proprietary and thus would have to be replaced by a Sony service centre or at least be sourced through Sony.

Well. given Sony's reputation of giving warranty from 90 days to 1 year without the added extended warranties, opening the back will have to be an option for us for that price.

From the pics, it looks like he just slid the back cover off.

You may be right that is might be propietary. With Sony changing their DAPs every 2-3 years, its a case of staring in the dark in the long run.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,042 of 7,711

Well. given Sony's reputation of giving warranty from 90 days to 1 year without the added extended warranties, opening the back will have to be an option for us for that price.

From the pics, it looks like he just slid the back cover off.

You may be right that is might be propietary. With Sony changing their DAPs every 2-3 years, its a case of staring in the dark in the long run.

I would tend to disagree with this statement. Knowing Sony, the unit is screwed first together then that fake leather is applied over to hide all holes. In order to unscrew the unit you would need to destroy it first or least make it ugly.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,043 of 7,711

I would tend to disagree with this statement. Knowing Sony, the unit is screwed first together then that fake leather is applied over to hide all holes. In order to unscrew the unit you would need to destroy it first or least make it ugly.

Well, if you look how neat the picture is, there seems to be no destroying or ugliness would you say?

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,045 of 7,711
  But as Mython pointed out 'stages of engineering' so we can assume it was not pryed open after being built.

Yes it's an engineering sample so it would need to be pulled apart. In anycase this is all pure speculation, once the unit is released and reviewed then all points will be covered.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #1,048 of 7,711
  This coming model has no FM radio, unfortunately. But it has real big s-master hx amp. here is some photos as a prove...enjoy
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/10/03/sony-announces-two-new-android-powered-walkmans-nw-zx1-and-nw-f880/

Frankly, I don't consider the omission of FM radio to be unfortunate at all - in fact, it pleases me that the engineering team didn't unnecessarily interfere with the purity of the circuit design. The whole point of this DAP is purity of signal path and purity of the resultant audio from it.

I actually wish it didn't have NFC, either, but at least that does not reside within the audio circuit, and can thus be entirely removed from the equation when switched off.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,049 of 7,711

Frankly, I don't consider the omission of FM radio to be unfortunate at all - in fact, it pleases me that the engineering team didn't unnecessarily interfere with the purity of the circuit design. The whole point of this DAP is purity of signal path and purity of the resultant audio from it.

Mython, have you decided which way to go? X5 or ZX1 or something else? I am quite interested in your decision honestly
happy_face1.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,050 of 7,711

Mython, have you decided which way to go? X5 or ZX1 or something else? I am quite interested in your decision honestly
happy_face1.gif

Truth be told, I'm still off sick (been 18 months now), so I'm skint, but when I get back to work and get my finances back on track, I'm most interested in JH Audio Roxanne + a nice DAP.

What that DAP will turn out to be, I don't yet know. I really like this Sony, in many respects, but I am very wary about the meagre 15mw+15mw (@16Ω) power output, and none too happy about the deliberate lack of memory expansion (although 128gb is tolerable).

The Calyx DAP looks tasty but may fall short in some areas, which is unacceptable at $999, but we'll just have to wait and see what actually happens with that DAP. It's just vapourware at this stage, anyway.

The DX100 remains a favourite of mine, sound-wise, but it's a pig for battery life and lack of operation buttons.

The HM-901 apparently sounds excellent, but it, too, is a pig for battery life, and I'm not confident about it's product-engineering quality.

The AK100 does not appeal to me at all, and the AK120 disgusts me, from a pricing standpoint. I really resent the way iRiver have treated customers with such obvious contempt, in their marketing and pricing of this product line.

At this point in time, The X5 is looking like it may be the best compromise for me, but even that DAP is not yet proven, so it will be interesting to see what reviews it gets when it's released, early next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back