Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #287 of 7,711
just to speak positive for Sony:

As you should know they are NOT always GREEDY but they are sometimes BRAVE enough to do the first step in a new market even if they have to bring money and make losses just to show that they really care about quality and setting a standard.

Just look back at the forst4 Playstation 3 or - to stay in the audio department - the Sony SCD-1. A tank like built machine with awesome sound and mechanical quality!

So, let's stay optimistic and await the Sony ZX1 with a warm welcome - like I will do. :)

Have a nice evening

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #289 of 7,711
For those not wanting a pure music player.. Even less people would buy it... So since this new player will apparently cost $750, how much are you willing to pay for your special run, no android, no frills player? $5,000? How many people would buy that? Doesn't make business sense for Sony... Which is already in financial trouble... Better to have and Android player which you can use purely for audio if you so wish.

On another topic: would the new audio specifications ("better than CD quality") imply we would have to buy music in a higher spec format to get the most out of it?

And on another topic: this would imply high end headphones de rigueur... Would it be able to drive them without an additional portable amp?

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #290 of 7,711
  The DAC must be Wolfsen since the Sabre one will require much power and shorter playback time.Maybe WM8741?

There's no third party DAC chip.

S-Master is a special variant of pulse-width modulation (the DSP technique used in Class D amps), where the digital signal is converted to analog and drives the earphones simultaneously. Read about S-Master here, or read about PWM D/A conversion via a TI document here.

This kind of implementation requires a custom IC by Sony, so there won't be anything from Wolfson, ESS, Analog Devices, TI Burr-Brown, Cirrus Logic, Asahi Kasei, or any other company associated with making high-end audio DACs.

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #291 of 7,711

There's no third party DAC chip.

S-Master is a special variant of pulse-width modulation (the DSP technique used in Class D amps), where the digital signal is converted to analog and drives the earphones simultaneously. Read about S-Master here, or read about PWM D/A conversion via a TI document here.

This kind of implementation requires a custom IC by Sony, so there won't be anything from Wolfson, ESS, Analog Devices, TI Burr-Brown, Cirrus Logic, Asahi Kasei, or any other company associated with making high-end audio DACs.

Thanks! Interesting!
popcorn.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #292 of 7,711
They better release this in North America,...I'm going to develope an aneurism if Sony skips us - AGAIN!!!! THIS IS MY DREAM SONY WALKMAN!!!

OK, enough ranting,....please carry on folks!!! :D

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #295 of 7,711
Sep 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #296 of 7,711
  Will the new SW-S786 32gb Walkman have English as a setting in the menu?

Have Sony ever produced a walkman, in the past 5-10 years that lacks English as an OS option?

Even their Japan-only models invariably seem to include an English option...

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #297 of 7,711
Actually, all their non-Android Walkman models released in Japan DON'T include English as an option in the settings. That's why I asked,...as your answer is incorrect. I'd own a 32gb Japanese S Series Walkman if it were so.

I'm asking someone who may have read the Japanese release notes/specs to answer my question. Thank you to whomever can answer me,...

Quote:

Have Sony ever produced a walkman, in the past 5-10 years that lacks English as an OS option?

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #298 of 7,711
Actually, all their non-Android Walkman models released in Japan DON'T include English as an option in the settings. That's why I asked,...as your answer is incorrect. I'd own a 32gb Japanese S Series Walkman if it were so.

I'm asking someone who may have read the Japanese release notes/specs to answer my question. Thank you to whomever can answer me,...

Thankyou for answering my question. I was not aware of that.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #299 of 7,711
Excuse me, but will this be another propriety connector that we'll be forced to use on the ZX1?

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #300 of 7,711

Search is your friend. Been asked and answered numerous times.

The answer is YES - there are models with NO English. The NW-Axxx series in Japan had no English menu. Basically, anything that is NOT Android based and NW- will be Japanese only. NWZ are the models for the rest of the world and have English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back