Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #271 of 7,711
  wow not small at all, that is a shame. I honestly wish they made a DAP for music, no wifi, no andriod, no apps, just plan old walkman, how hard can it be?

I agree with you, I don't need apps, wifi, etc, on my dedicated DAP, I have my phone for that. Sony probably figured a majority of the word do require it as sales feature and moving forward technology,, therefore we remain the minority in a world of the audiophile. Btw: it looks rather large and I'll be honest.... As much I like Sony for their products in the past (I love their MDR-V6) I still feel they're border line mainstream company and with that their new player will remain in the mainstream world of sound quality, no matter what they label their player as,. Sure it might sound nice but not venturing outside the full square to a world of enthusiasts who crave metronome like separation, utter detail etc...

That's just how I feel, no-one needs to agree, I'll also say I was rather disappointed in their MDR-1R headphone recently from a sound quality perspective, perfect example of what I stated above, nice looks, nice comfort but again the sound quality not venturing anywhere near close to the true audiophile market. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #272 of 7,711

I agree with you, I don't need apps, wifi, etc, on my dedicated DAP, I have my phone for that. Sony probably figured a majority of the word do require it as sales feature and moving forward technology,, therefore we remain the minority in a world of the audiophile. Btw: it looks rather large and I'll be honest.... As much I like Sony for their products in the past (I love their MDR-V6) I still feel they're border line mainstream company and with that their new player will remain in the mainstream world of sound quality, no matter what they label their player as,. Sure it might sound nice but not venturing outside the full square to a world of enthusiasts who crave metronome like separation, utter detail etc...

That's just how I feel, no-one needs to agree, I'll also say I was rather disappointed in their MDR-1R headphone recently from a sound quality perspective, perfect example of what I stated above, nice looks, nice comfort but again the sound quality not venturing anywhere near close to the true audiophile market. 

When I saw this I had the walkman X size in mind. This is more or less the same size as walkman z. For me this is not as portable as I hoped. And considering it seems to be cast aluminium back plate it probably is going to add to the weight (but to be fair aluminum is not that heavy). Now with that size I expect at least 256 GB worth of storage. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #273 of 7,711
Sep 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #276 of 7,711
Maybe the person on that picture has really really really small hands? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #278 of 7,711
I'm just wondering if Sony were saving native DSD playback for PHA-2 / PCM-D100 or possibly the successor of ZX1 in the future. It's still too early to tell what audio format(s) they'll start selling on their official online store next month

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. It's possible. They added FLAC to the Z after the F got it via a firmware update. I am guessing they might.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #281 of 7,711

When I saw this I had the walkman X size in mind. This is more or less the same size as walkman z. For me this is not as portable as I hoped. And considering it seems to be cast aluminium back plate it probably is going to add to the weight (but to be fair aluminum is not that heavy). Now with that size I expect at least 256 GB worth of storage.

Well, it does have the Z designation, so I would have expected a similar size. Sony's funny that way :)

256GB? Did you want to pay $1500? The fact they have cracked the 128GB internal storage (non-platter based drive like the iPod Classic) is a first.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #282 of 7,711
  Well, it does have the Z designation, so I would have expected a similar size. Sony's funny that way :)

256GB? Did you want to pay $1500? The fact they have cracked the 128GB internal storage (non-platter based drive like the iPod Classic) is a first.

They have the means and technology to release cheap 256 GB devices but the role over is slow simply because they all follow this unwritten law of "making as much profit as one can before the next gen release". This is why more or less technology releases of all companies take place at fixed timeline, this is something all company (the large one ). 

But than again probably I am just a conspiracy theoriest :D

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #284 of 7,711

Not sure whether you have tried their latest offerings, but they sound way better than average and far from being mainstream.  If you don't need hi-rez, the current F & Z  & A86x will compete in the sound department head on with the like of DX50 or AK100.  In fact, I preferred my F807 over the DX50 in a direct comparison as well as over the AK100.  Of course, we speak 16bit 44.1khz only.  Plus they are also a dream to operate unlike the Chinese audiophile DAPs.  BTW, if you want a just a dedicated MP3 player....try to find the NWZ-A86x series.  Yes we can all agree on Sony being very greedy by not offering expansion memory.

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #285 of 7,711
  ZX-1: 122.8 x 60.7 x 15.3 mm (最薄處9.8mm)

F880: 116.6 x 59.9 x 8.5 mm

IPC: 103.5 x 61.8 x 10.5 mm

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=180&t=3563743

The size seemed to be acceptable to me when compared to the others listed above. I was reading that Chinese link posted on previous page and someone already tried the demo of ZX1 in Japan. It's on par with (stock) AK120 and better than (stock) AK100 in the SQ department.

I'm just wondering if Sony were saving native DSD playback for PHA-2 / PCM-D100 or possibly the successor of ZX1 in the future. It's still too early to tell what audio format(s) they'll start selling on their official online store next month

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683374/mora-sony-s-online-high-res-music-site-starting-october-17-2013

Definitely encouraging, but then having owned both the stock AK120 and AK100 let me just say beating them on sound isn't really that big a deal as SQ are far from their strongest suit.  To me the AK120's value lies in 1) well built and stylish form factor  2) easy to use and responsive UI   3) long battery life  4)  double as portable USB DAC   5) acceptable SQ.

With Sony's resources I'd really hope ZX1 would win in more category than just the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back