Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #31 of 7,711
  Not really.  I prefer my Jap A867 over both the X1060 & Z1070 that I have.  My favorite overall is either the A & F.  However, it is a sonic preference thing than anything else b/c I also think the Z is also superior sounding to the X.  Your A must be the Euro version, isn't it?  This is based on pairing these DAPs with my JH13pro only.

Nope, NW-847 from Japan. Bought it at Bic Camera myself. They may have refined it by the 867, but the X1060 beats the A847 in SQ hands down. I skipped getting a new Sony DAP until the Z1070.

The A & F win on size for me, but neither are better than their "bigger" counterparts with any set of cans or IEMs I've used. The smaller DAPs for whatever reason even with S-Master seem to not be as balanced across the sonic spectrum and lose a bit of gravitas to the sound. It's more striking from the X to the A in my case and I think I noted that here a few years back when I made the switch.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #32 of 7,711

Nope, NW-847 from Japan. Bought it at Bic Camera myself. They may have refined it by the 867, but the X1060 beats the A847 in SQ hands down. I skipped getting a new Sony DAP until the Z1070.

The A & F win on size for me, but neither are better than their "bigger" counterparts with any set of cans or IEMs I've used. The smaller DAPs for whatever reason even with S-Master seem to not be as balanced across the sonic spectrum and lose a bit of gravitas to the sound. It's more striking from the X to the A in my case and I think I noted that here a few years back when I made the switch.

Let's get back to the ZX1 after this.  Yes, the 847 is well known to be inferior to the X.  However, the A867 Jap or A865 US are a noticeably step up to the X.  If you like the Z, you will like the A as well as both share similar sound signature while having more power sound than the X Walkman.  The F is my favorite b/c it mates perfectly with my JH13pro.  love the clarity & resolution of this combo as it is more refined sounding to my ears.  To each his own really. Also, it is depending on a system matching.

I personally hope the ZX1 will sound even better than my A & F walkman.  February can't come soon enough.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #33 of 7,711
FM tuner maybe be analog but I don't see Sony removing it from the player, even the lowly B-series has a FM tuner.

Wifi will probably be kept for the DLNA aspect of it or streaming, but it is not a 100% necessary item, although it would be nice to transfer songs to the player wirelessly.  Bluetooth will present especially with the NFC aspect.

No microSD card support, Sony hasn't used expansion in their players since the old old network walkman days and those days are long gone behind us.  As much as I would like capacity expansion myself as well, Sony will not do it, since if you can expand memory, people might stop upgrading or buying new devices as often if it is not upgradable.   I am wondering if Sony will opt for a LCD or a OLED screen. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 7,711
 Sony will not do it, since if you can expand memory, people might stop upgrading or buying new devices as often if it is not upgradable.

But sony must understand that there are many other little companies (ibasso, hifiman, fiio, A&K) that provide devices with one or two card slots!!
So for sure sony has a comparative advantage on other companies but the apple's recent story teach us that be too much self confident may be counter productive!! So I have high expectations in this player and it's up to sony to balance price, hdd and card slots.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #35 of 7,711
  Any information about Walkman S? Doono why, but i like S from all Sony line for all:)
Maybe too much coffee and cigarettes with me:)lol

I've got an NWZ-S639 coming my way in a few days.....an oldie but a goodie! 

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #36 of 7,711
  But sony must understand that there are many other little companies (ibasso, hifiman, fiio, A&K) that provide devices with one or two card slots!!
So for sure sony has a comparative advantage on other companies but the apple's recent story teach us that be too much self confident may be counter productive!! So I have high expectations in this player and it's up to sony to balance price, hdd and card slots.

Well as Ascariss points out, you're going to be disasppointed. Sony doesn't do card expansion. You can stand on your head and spit wooden nickels - it's not going to change things. And quite frankly, Sony is a small player in the DAP world - especially here in the USA. If you need expansion, don't buy a Sony.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 7,711
If they come out with a 128gigabyte+ storage DAP, I wouldn't really care for additional storage.......actually 64gigabyte already satisfies me plenty as with the Z 1070 and I only listen to FLAC.....I just don't have the need to carry my whole music collection with me all the time I guess.  But yeah, Sony having expandable memory is not going to happen.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #38 of 7,711
  If they come out with a 128gigabyte+ storage DAP, I wouldn't really care for additional storage.......actually 64gigabyte already satisfies me plenty as with the Z 1070 and I only listen to FLAC.....I just don't have the need to carry my whole music collection with me all the time I guess.  But yeah, Sony having expandable memory is not going to happen.

128 is a pipe dream...but is very possible.  Still, it will be price north of $600.  Like you, I doubt Sony will change their way about microSD option.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #39 of 7,711
Well, after much thoughts, I bought a Clip Zip (yes it will be rockboxed, don't worry) and will wait for Feb 2014. I really hope it will be as awesome as we think and... affordable :)
Thread subscribed!

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #40 of 7,711
If just one album fits on it, I am satisfied. I grew up with MCs and CDs. I was the happiest kid, when I got a walkman with autoreverse.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #41 of 7,711
Thus better have a huge chunk of storage to make up for everything it may not have. I'm nearing 64 gigs and I'm not using ogg, not even lossless atm. plus video. I'll do some sacrificing in this case since I like sony, otherwise I'll hold my breath for the dream player.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #42 of 7,711
  Thus better have a huge chunk of storage to make up for everything it may not have. I'm nearing 64 gigs and I'm not using ogg, not even lossless atm. plus video. I'll do some sacrificing in this case since I like sony, otherwise I'll hold my breath for the dream player.

Come and gone for me.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #43 of 7,711
I'm looking forward to this DAP having started my portable audio journey with Sony Walkmans, from audio cassette, to CD, to MD, to Hi-MD (I skipped their HDD & SSD offerings so far) ; I wonder how it will fare against the DX100, SQ-wise. It will have to have way more capacity than 64GB on-board to get any interest, since with high-rez albums, that capacity fills up rapidly. 120GB on the DX100 is already tight, and luckily one can swap 64GB µSDXC, but since it is highly unlikely as mentioned that Sony will offer external storage as an option, the only real advantage over the competition will be design & UI. And build quality, if made in Japan, which will be the case I suppose for an anniversary model.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #44 of 7,711
Well as Ascariss points out, you're going to be disasppointed. Sony doesn't do card expansion. You can stand on your head and spit wooden nickels - it's not going to change things. And quite frankly, Sony is a small player in the DAP world - especially here in the USA. If you need expansion, don't buy a Sony.

Eh, I don't know - the early Sony DAPs had card slots, their Android phones do, and so do their digital recorders. I admit it seems unlikely, but never say never.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #45 of 7,711
So it seems to be clear that there are a lot of enthusiasts waiting for this DAP, and that the main issue will be the storage.
As said, they still provide their xperia phones with a microSD reader, so I can't understand why Sony shouldn''t put a card reader in this DAP!
Otherwise, they must provide the ZX1 with a big storage, but due to the costs of the flash memory today, we might pay 2/3 of the price only for the memory!!
Maybe the only solution is to provide the device with a hdd similar to the one built in the ipod classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back