Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 22, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #7,426 of 7,711
  So, yesterday my fully charged ZX1 played line out to a headphone amp. Volume on the ZX1 = max.

After maybe 3 hours it was down to 15% and it was really hot! I connected the charger but it still told me "connect your charger".

The player get's two years old in a few days.

I tried different cables and power supplies but it didn't charge. It stayed on the 15% battery level with the cable connected but it stayed very hot!

The question: Should I exchange it for a new ZX1 or better get a ZX100?

Did somebody already found out how to disassemble the ZX1 to replace the battery?

Before doing anything else, I would recommend allowing the ZX1 to continue to play until it performs its own automatic "emergency" power off. It's possible you're just experiencing a discrepancy between how much charge is left in the battery versus how much charge the operating system thinks it has. Allowing the system to play until it turns itself off will help realign that battery calibration.

I'd probably suggest looping a movie with the screen on and turned to max brightness, so it wears out as quickly as possible.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #7,428 of 7,711
Does the screen on this device have any sort of coating on it?

Mine has scratches on, I know the simplest fix for it is to put a screen protector on, but I'm wondering if there is any way to buff them out? They are only very light.

Its very easy to scratch this device. I  did get one of those cases with a flap on, but the damage was already done by then. :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #7,429 of 7,711

Mine has scratches on, I know the simplest fix for it is to put a screen protector on, but I'm wondering if there is any way to buff them out? They are only very light.

Its very easy to scratch this device. I  did get one of those cases with a flap on, but the damage was already done by then. :frowning2:

dude I have been using this model, the problem is not the player and you, I do not see this problem, I use it on the street and at home, I use without a case and it is still without a scratch!

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #7,430 of 7,711

dude I have been using this model, the problem is not the player and you, I do not see this problem, I use it on the street and at home, I use without a case and it is still without a scratch!

Agree its like the screen is Glass and not ****ty plastic like the one in the ZX100.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #7,431 of 7,711

Mine has a couple scratches, but they're hard to see, have to look at it with light on it, at an angle, with the screen off. And that's from someone that has dropped it, and left it in a drawer in a popup camper with no suspension. Bounced around from TN to SC. I mean, the sides of mine have dents (small, but they're there) but the screen is still in pretty darn good shape. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #7,433 of 7,711

Agree its like the screen is Glass and not ****ty plastic like the one in the ZX100.

if you use carefully with Sony will not be such problems! they have high quality screens not so **** as for the Fiio And Ibasso!

My fiio x3 1st ge had a solid screen really even after my german BF thrw it to the floor in a fit of rage, Oh Germans gotta love them

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #7,434 of 7,711

I seem to fair better with phone screens. There must have been something sharp in my bag, because I've not thrown it around. Sometimes i can't see them, depends on the angle and light on the screen. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #7,436 of 7,711
Anyone else having battery issues with their ZX1?  A week ago, the player was cruising along fine, then shutdown at 65% battery power due to low battery.  Repowered the unit, it showed 65%, then shutdown for low battery.  

Since then, I've been doing full charge and discharge cycles to see if I can recover the full capability. After 8 cycles, the data is a bit of a mixed bag.  The unit shuts down for low battery in between 48% and 84%. During the discharge cycles, I've been running Pandora with the screen lock enabled to keep the screen on until it shuts down.  

I was curious if anyone else has had issues with their battery. I bought this ZX1 in Tokyo several years ago.  I've been very pleased with it. I love the sound I get out of it when driving my Z7 headphones with the Kimber cables.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #7,437 of 7,711
  Anyone else having battery issues with their ZX1?  A week ago, the player was cruising along fine, then shutdown at 65% battery power due to low battery.  Repowered the unit, it showed 65%, then shutdown for low battery.  

Since then, I've been doing full charge and discharge cycles to see if I can recover the full capability. After 8 cycles, the data is a bit of a mixed bag.  The unit shuts down for low battery in between 48% and 84%. During the discharge cycles, I've been running Pandora with the screen lock enabled to keep the screen on until it shuts down.  

I was curious if anyone else has had issues with their battery. I bought this ZX1 in Tokyo several years ago.  I've been very pleased with it. I love the sound I get out of it when driving my Z7 headphones with the Kimber cables.

I was the second owner of my ZX1, and I've always had a problem with battery life, though not with the issues you've described.  I've always only gotten about 3 hours of play time on a charge, so I've really only used it anymore with the charging cradle.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #7,438 of 7,711
Thanks for the sanity check. I disabled all of the needless Google stuff a while back, and if I don't leave the screen on, I could get up to 8 hours of continuous play on the battery.

I think I'm going to get a PHA3 and an NWH10 cradle to charge the ZX1 while it plays. Maybe in the future update to one of the new Walkmans.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #7,439 of 7,711
  Thanks for the sanity check. I disabled all of the needless Google stuff a while back, and if I don't leave the screen on, I could get up to 8 hours of continuous play on the battery.

I think I'm going to get a PHA3 and an NWH10 cradle to charge the ZX1 while it plays. Maybe in the future update to one of the new Walkmans.

you listen to 8 hours from full charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back