Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 17, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #6,376 of 7,711
Hi all, 

Apologize if this has been addressed but a search yielded no significant results.  What are the differences between the ZX1 and F886/7 besides cosmetic looks and storage size? I have been wanting to purchase a ZX1 but now seeing the f887 I am thinking I might save some cash and settle with lower storage (and arguably cosmetics) if they have the same sonic internals.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,377 of 7,711

The internals are not the same.  I have not heard the F886/7 so I can't comment on any sound difference, but I've seen some people say there is a big difference, while others have said there is no difference.  I think I also read that the F886/7 was discontinued, so if you find one, it might be at a further discounted price?    

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6,378 of 7,711

The internals are not the same.  I have not heard the F886/7 so I can't comment on any sound difference, but I've seen some people say there is a big difference, while others have said there is no difference.  I think I also read that the F886/7 was discontinued, so if you find one, it might be at a further discounted price?    

Thanks for the reply.  If the internals aren't the same I might swing back and get the ZX1.  

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #6,380 of 7,711
Please do consider x5 if android is not a priority.
At least audition before buying,,,just an advice

I second this. I loved my zx1, UI was great, Unit was sexy, but amp section is too weak, and it was not near as fun to listen to as my X3...ive yet to hear the X5 yet, but everything fiio I've had has been enjoyable to say the least. if you don't listen at higher volumes and don't mind bass that is a bit lacking, it's a great device. SQ is very high, just not much "fun" to me.

That being said, there are some incredible deals in the used section for zx1's right now.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #6,381 of 7,711
soQuote:

I had both the ZX1 and the F880 for a month, before I gave the F880 to a friend. In terms of functionality and sound both players share a lot of similarities with subtle differences. I agree with the comment about both players having similar sound signatures. It's my feelings that the lower frequency response is slightly better articulated on the ZX1; it does reach lower and deeper.

Hypothetically if the only difference between both DAPs was only the subtle variations with sound signatures. It would be difficult for me to recommend the ZX1 over the F880. But of course there are other factors which may or may not justify the added expense of the ZX model.

Also both players might struggle to drive portable headphones with some exceptions. But they won't play nice with full sized headphones given the low driving power of the internal amps. Walkmans seem to be best paired with IEMs.

Pros for the ZX1 (other than SQ):
Larger internal storage (a big deal for me as neither device has expandable memory.)
Nicer build and aesthetics (to me.)

Pros for the F880 (other than SQ):
Battery lasts about 10% longer than the ZX1.
Better portability (lighter and thinner.)

Anyway, do shop around there's plenty of discussion about both players either on Head-fi or around the web (even some video reviews on youtube) and happy listening!

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #6,382 of 7,711

Pros for the F880 (other than SQ):
Battery lasts about 10% longer than the ZX1.

confused_face_2.gif
  you'll have to explain that one to me.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #6,383 of 7,711
Just my own personal experience with both Walkmans, other members may have had different experiences. The usage and listening environments on the two were about the same:

- Minimal screen use (only powered on to change album.)
- Same IEM (MDR-EX1000.)
- Any additional features like noise cancelling on the F880 would have been switched off.
- Wifi, bluetooth, and NFC was off.
- no extra android apps were installed.

- Same mix of FLAC and MP3 files
- Playback through the stock Walkman app with all DSP switched off.

TLDR: My guess would be that the ZX1's amp has a higher output than the F880; 15 mW per channel versus 10 mW. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6,384 of 7,711
  Just my own personal experience with both Walkmans, other members may have had different experiences. The usage and listening environments on the two were about the same:

- Minimal screen use (only powered on to change album.)
- Same IEM (MDR-EX1000.)
- Any additional features like noise cancelling on the F880 would have been switched off.
- Wifi, bluetooth, and NFC was off.
- no extra android apps were installed.

- Same mix of FLAC and MP3 files
- Playback through the stock Walkman app with all DSP switched off.

TLDR: My guess would be that the ZX1's amp has a higher output than the F880; 15 mW per channel versus 10 mW. 

I saw people talking about more than 20hours of battery life when using the ZX1 on this topic (plz tell me they weren't just reading the android uptime!!!!) so as I never got past maybe 15 or 16h or actual use on the F886 (all disabled, no google account, almost always using the side buttons), I figured the ZX1 had better battery.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #6,385 of 7,711
15-16 hours give or take an hour or two with the F880 sounds about right especially if you stay away from Hi-Res audio files. The ZX1's battery life is also within that range too, it's just that I usually found that the F880 had a little more juice left over after a days usage. 

I don't think I've ever hit 20+ hours with the ZX1 before, at least with the usage patterns I described in my previous post.

The A10 Walkmans should get far better results in the battery life departments than the Android ones.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,386 of 7,711
  15-16 hours give or take an hour or two with the F880 sounds about right especially if you stay away from Hi-Res audio files. The ZX1's battery life is also within that range too, it's just that I usually found that the F880 had a little more juice left over after a days usage. 

I don't think I've ever hit 20+ hours with the ZX1 before, at least with the usage patterns I described in my previous post.

The A10 Walkmans should get far better results in the battery life departments than the Android ones.

Sony needs to stop this s- master amp ******** and put in a real thing in there.
People deserve better for 600+ bucks

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #6,388 of 7,711

I got 38h from the A10 on first charge with almost only mp3 and usually no DSP. so yeah not having a big nice screen nor android makes for a nice difference. they clearly focused on battery for this one.
anyway nobody yet came to say you were a liar, so obviously it was me misunderstanding some people's posts (or them taking sleep time as working time). anyway I'm now a little happier I passed on buying a ZX1 ^_^. I thought it was too expensive for what was offered, but it still called me in my dreams sometimes.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6,389 of 7,711
That's very impressive, reminds of the stamina of MD and CD players of the past. The A10 sounds like it strikes a good balance between decent SQ, battery life and portability. Even if the battery life wasn't as good as your experience I'd purchase one for the form factor alone. Nice and discreet. : )

I prefer using the ZX1 and F880 as a portable home/ work DAP. It was a bit cumbersome for me to carry both a smartphone and a smartphone sized DAP on the go.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #6,390 of 7,711
I'm of the opinion Sony missed a great opportunity here. Yes I agree the ZX1 is not perfect but it is a great piece of kit and depending on what you feed it and how you go about your settings, and obviously if you're using IEMs or Cans etc, then cruel age aside which takes away our ability to perceive some frequencies reserved for the younger ones, not that I'd expect them to be on this forum. Sony should have waited and released this as a premium mobile phone/walkman. Enough said.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back