Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #5,671 of 7,711
Hello!

I don't want to muddy up the thread any more than it already is (@ 375+ pages, that might be tough), but I figured I may as well post a link to a question I have in regards to matching headphones of the proper impedance with the ZX1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723066/appropriately-paired-headphones-to-sony-zx1

If you have any particular theories, or just observations based on what you yourself have used with the ZX1, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5,672 of 7,711
my brightness is fine, no flickering. No auto bright either, so that's not it.

But when you scroll down the list of albums do you notice it flickering? When i say flickering, its a bit like the brightness goes up.Seems to happen when you scroll down quickly. Theres a reviewer on amazon uk who mentions it as well. So I think that might be normal.

The other flickering i noticed was when the brightness was set very low. The battery was getting quite low, and i noticed it again when i was charging it. But i didn't notice anything before, i only turned the brightness down to see if i could stretch the battery out a bit.  

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #5,673 of 7,711
Sorry for the OT, but I curious why the Sony PCM keeps showing up on the threads.  Are they that good?  What makes them so good?  I know they are used as mics, is that why they have quality components inside?  

Because one of the best portable recorders on the market seems to always attract the attention of those wanting a better DAP. It's not how I would use my old PCM-D50 or my preferred stealth recording unit, the PCM-M10, for the best live recordings I've ever recorded, but that's how it is and why it is. :)

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,674 of 7,711
maybe changing topic again in this long thread, but I am hoping to get some answers/information to the following:

So I am a recent ex-Mog user now using Spotify streaming via ogg vorbis @ 320kbps.  I find that when I stream via (Chrome) browser on my Macbook Air and upres the output to 24/192 (midi settings) to my  Resonessence Labs Herus feeding my HD800's or others, there is a significant improvement to me in sound quality vs.say the digital out on whatever iDevice at 24/48 to my Herus or HiFi M8

I would like to know if using one of the Sony Walkman Android (Jelly Bean) Walkmans - f886/7, zx 1; can I upres the browser output from a browser in Android, similar as I do with my macbook air, to feed the RL Herus at 24/192 rather than just the standard digital out of 24/48?

Thanks,
Loren

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,676 of 7,711
I just collected my Sony ZX-1 today from the local sony store today and I simply love the sound of it! I currently have the Fiio X5 paired to the Fiio E12 and boy the hiss is loud! The Sony ZX-1 has minimal to no hiss and I love the sound of it! I paired the ZX-1 to my Shure SE535s and I feel its almost perfect IMHO. Loving the ZX-1 and most probably not get the PHA-2 or should I?

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #5,679 of 7,711
Lol... I'm fairly new to this so I don't really feel qualified to answer that question. To me, it sounded louder obviously, and I heard details in some songs that I could not hear with out it. I'm not sure if it improves sq or just amplifies it cleanly so you can hear those fine details.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #5,680 of 7,711
I use the PHA-2 DAC section and not the line in option and find that for me it takes the ZX1 to a higher level of SQ.
It hard to explain the differences but it just makes it even smoother and adds more detail to the overall sound.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #5,681 of 7,711
I use the PHA-2 DAC section and not the line in option and find that for me it takes the ZX1 to a higher level of SQ.
It hard to explain the differences but it just makes it even smoother and adds more detail to the overall sound.

can't argue with that as it's spot-on...
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,682 of 7,711
I just collected my Sony ZX-1 today from the local sony store today and I simply love the sound of it! I currently have the Fiio X5 paired to the Fiio E12 and boy the hiss is loud! The Sony ZX-1 has minimal to no hiss and I love the sound of it! I paired the ZX-1 to my Shure SE535s and I feel its almost perfect IMHO. Loving the ZX-1 and most probably not get the PHA-2 or should I?

Do you like the sound of the ZX1 over the Fiio X5?  I do.  The X5 is one heck of a bargain at its asking price, but the sound is a little soft around edge for me.  It is also a tad "laid back" for my liking.  I use the JH13pro though.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,684 of 7,711
Lol... I'm fairly new to this so I don't really feel qualified to answer that question. To me, it sounded louder obviously, and I heard details in some songs that I could not hear with out it. I'm not sure if it improves sq or just amplifies it cleanly so you can hear those fine details.

Did you use the DAC in or Analogue in? I think you are correct in that the PHA-2 amplifies the details and you can hear the details after using the amp. I'm very new to this as well :)

Sounds good and makes me even more tempted to get the PHA-2 lol!

Do you like the sound of the ZX1 over the Fiio X5?  I do.  The X5 is one heck of a bargain at its asking price, but the sound is a little soft around edge for me.  It is also a tad "laid back" for my liking.  I use the JH13pro though.

I prefer the sound of the ZX-1 over the Fiio X5 as well. The X5 is very reasonably priced with reasonable SQ but as you mentioned the sound seems abit flat to me and slightly improves when I use the E12 with it but problem with the E12 is the loud hissing sound and the sound becomes slightly muffled if you know what I mean.

Had x5 sold it for the dx90 which sounds better and also brought the zx1 which sounds better then both but the dx90 doesn't have the required 400hrs of burn in yet maybe about 120hrs:smiley:

I was considering between the Calyx M and AK120 II, mainly AK120 II for the new form factor but then I also wanted wireless streaming functions for parties where I could share my music where SQ is not a priority and pricing is more sane so in the end I got the ZX-1. Its good to know that you find the ZX-1 sounds better than even the DX90 though your DX90 has yet to be fully burnt in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back