Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #5,492 of 7,711
  Yes, maybe the IE80s are the answer when set to minimum bass.

I think my ZX1 is the EU model (bought from the german sony online store).

Dah! What else should it be when sold in Germany as this is quite in the MIDDLE of the EU? Mine is from the same source and it is EU certainly. Sometimes when I put volume too hight (for the EU Parlament that is) the volume drops down considerably and I get a warning-massage about the "high volume". As far as we know that might be it. As I understand it nobody ever tested them side by side and memory is a tricky one. I'd still like to test a japan version against a Covon J3 because this I could counter-check.

Ilkyway

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5,494 of 7,711
I'm still looking for a good AMP for my ZX1. 
As anyone has experience with the PHA-2 combined with the ZX1?
Or are there better options in that price range to pair with the ZX1?

Definitely a great match. I also have an intruder, which sounds awesome through the LO, not the LOD. Waiting on a balanced cable for the intruder, but SE, PHA2 sounds a little nicer, looks very sexy together.

it is a great match for sure, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Agreed.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5,497 of 7,711

Pico Power is a stellar amp for the ZX1. Think 20% of improvement using the same phones. This is based on my JH13pro with the Pico Power out of the ZX1's line out.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #5,498 of 7,711

Pico Power is a stellar amp for the ZX1. Think 20% of improvement using the same phones. This is based on my JH13pro with the Pico Power out of the ZX1's line out.

and no trouble with volume control? I tended to find myself at the limit between channel imbalance and "too loud" with the pico(not power, not slim, just pico amp ^_^). and I though the pico power had even more gain(and maybe some hiss?). I guess my question is where are you on the knob for calm listening on the jh13? because I'm loved the pico slim for what it was, I really adored the pico expect for volume control (but the sound was really to my tastes). so I would be very happy to learn I miss-interpreted the purpose of the pico power :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #5,499 of 7,711

and no trouble with volume control? I tended to find myself at the limit between channel imbalance and "too loud" with the pico(not power, not slim, just pico amp ^_^). and I though the pico power had even more gain(and maybe some hiss?). I guess my question is where are you on the knob for calm listening on the jh13? because I'm loved the pico slim for what it was, I really adored the pico expect for volume control (but the sound was really to my tastes). so I would be very happy to learn I miss-interpreted the purpose of the pico power :)

The Pico Power is pretty awesome man.  Justin tested out countless pots and only use the very best one.  The Pico Power is noticeably better sounding than both slim & regular Pico.  Between the slim & regular Pico, I like the slim better with IEMs/CIEMs.  The hiss isn't issue for me.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #5,500 of 7,711
The Pico Power is pretty awesome man.  Justin tested out countless pots and only use the very best one.  The Pico Power is noticeably better sounding than both slim & regular Pico.  Between the slim & regular Pico, I like the slim better with IEMs/CIEMs.  The hiss isn't issue for me.

The Pico power is definitively a very good amp but I find the Pico slim to be a better amp with iems, the power is an overkill with the iems, you have to attenuate the amp to such an extent that the slim sounds better at that volume level. I never had any hissing issues with any of Justin's amps, they are very well made.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #5,501 of 7,711
  After testing the Sony ZX1 for some weeks I am very satisfied. The sound with the NAD Viso HP50 is spectacular. Especially well-recorded, acoustic Jazz like that on the ECM label (ALAC files). Just superb detail and soundstage. Only small gripe is the fact that I have to turn up the volume to near-max. Thought about a headphone amp like the Fiio E18 or E12 (the sony PHA-2 is too expensive). Would the Fiio maybe interfere with the sound characteristics of the zx1? Because I find them near-perfect (without any sound enhancements and with the stock player). Not sure I need the amp, but what I do need are good in-ears. I'm thinking about the Shure SE 425, maybe 535, but their >300 Euro price tag is a problem. Can anyone recommend the RHA MA-750 with the sony zx1? Or maybe the Philips Fidelio S1? I'm looking for clear, analytical, non-bassy earphones for less than 300 Euro. 

No argument re the sonic capabilities of the HP50 but the earcup design is really testing my patience. I cant recall a headphone where I've been so acutely aware of the microphonics from the earcups.. I'm also sensitive to clamping pressure - Audeze being the worst in this regard but the HP50 also has significant clamping pressure for a relatively small and light headphone. I also have the SR425 and the Fidelio X1 - the latter is the opposite of what you are looking for but I wouldnt write it off if you get a change to audition a pair. The Shure might be closer to what you are looking for, but I can definitely see why some regard them as 'boring', particularly compared to the Philips over ears (now those are cans that tick ALL my boxes). If I had to nominate my favourite headphones with the ZX1, I'm afraid they are also the cheapest pair I own - Yamaha's EPH-100 - but the sound signature is almost 180 degrees away from what you seem to be looking for. Note that I dont use any of the sound enhancement available on the ZX1

I dont have the EU version of the ZX1 - I assume Thailand's stock is sourced from Japan - and I have no trouble getting plenty of volume with all my cans : I just dont bother trying to plug the HD800 into it. HTH. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,503 of 7,711
  Hi,
Hi,

Perhaps a silly question, but Im new to all this. Can PHA2 be used as a DAC for ZX1? Like ZX1->bitstream->PHA2->Headphones/amp?

Regards

In the photos I've seen, folk seem to have them hooked up via the USB-to-WM-Port cable you normally use to charge the ZX1. As the PHA-2 is set up to take that USB-A connector, it all appears to be a match made in heaven - I tried the same thing with my ADL X1 and the ZX1 went into 'USB Storage' mode where you cant play music from it - clearly Sony have a way around that for their own devices (VERY Sony ..) or I've simply missed a setting, but it would appear that you can extract the bitstream from the ZX1 and do the conversion at the PHA-2 : for years I had assumed that the WM-Port was purely an analog line-out but clearly its used for data transfer when you move music from your PC onto the player. 

My main objections to the above combination are obvious - cost and bulk. Not sure what it is about Head-Fiers but we seem determined to have CLAS-style stacks - the ZX1+ADL X1 would have been a much better match even allowing for the bulbous bottom of the former but I'm happy to stick with the ZX1 by itself.  

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5,504 of 7,711

No argument re the sonic capabilities of the HP50 but the earcup design is really testing my patience. I cant recall a headphone where I've been so acutely aware of the microphonics from the earcups.. I'm also sensitive to clamping pressure - Audeze being the worst in this regard but the HP50 also has significant clamping pressure for a relatively small and light headphone. I also have the SR425 and the Fidelio X1 - the latter is the opposite of what you are looking for but I wouldnt write it off if you get a change to audition a pair. The Shure might be closer to what you are looking for, but I can definitely see why some regard them as 'boring', particularly compared to the Philips over ears (now those are cans that tick ALL my boxes). If I had to nominate my favourite headphones with the ZX1, I'm afraid they are also the cheapest pair I own - Yamaha's EPH-100 - but the sound signature is almost 180 degrees away from what you seem to be looking for. Note that I dont use any of the sound enhancement available on the ZX1

I dont have the EU version of the ZX1 - I assume Thailand's stock is sourced from Japan - and I have no trouble getting plenty of volume with all my cans : I just dont bother trying to plug the HD800 into it. HTH. 

I don't have much earphone experience, but I see what you are saying. The clamping pressure doesn't bother me and the earcups are the perfect size for my ears, the headband is the part I least like, that could have been better. The only other over--ear headphone I own is the AKG 550, which is a lot more comfortable and also has superb, clear sound characteristics but is obviously less portable. I actually have a pair of cheap Yamaha in ears, which are not bad, but I need something better for the zx1. Maybe I will save up for the Shure SE 535. Are you referring to the Philips X1 over-ears? I've been interested in those as well, but am actually satisfied with the AKG 550 for home use for now. Someday, I will go for the Sennheiser HD 700 or 800.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,505 of 7,711
thank you purk and musicheaven, and sorry for shortly derailing the topic :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back