Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,697 of 7,711
  The power button is a little hard to press but no big deal.  One just has to apply more pressure on it.  I like the case from Cruzerlite though but looking forward for a case from Tufluv.  Wonder if they will ever make one for the the ZX1.

I'll email the UK guy next week, he said they were doing one... the F886/7 one they make is pretty cool & way better than the Sony one.

http://tuff-luv.com/music-video/sony-walkman.html

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4,699 of 7,711
Hello to all! I've pretty much read through this massive thread and I am hoping that some of you can help me out in my dilemma here. 
My current setup is as follows :  Sony Xperia Z1 phone to Ray Samuels Predator (amp section only) to NAD VISO HP50 headphones.  Source files are all FLAC.  

Would I experience any significant improvement in SQ over my current setup if I were to purchase the Sony NW-ZX1? 

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4,700 of 7,711
Great, I just ordered this case and now it's difficult to use the buttons.
Tell me this is a joke or you people have weak fingers.

It's not that bad. A little more force is required but I find that to be an advantage as it means a less likely occurrence of accidental button presses. The power button is probably the most difficult one of them all but not by much.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4,701 of 7,711
Would I experience any significant improvement in SQ over my current setup if I were to purchase the Sony NW-ZX1? 

Thanks!

As with anything in the AV world, the only solid answer is: depends on your ears. Technically, yes. Subjectively, try one out with your favourite headphones and compare.

People can tell you their perceived differences experienced but perception is a characteristic unique to all.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #4,702 of 7,711
Thanks for the info Artstar. I would try it out unfortunately it's not here yet in my country. Am,thinking of shipping from Japan. I guess what I am trying to figure out if there is any significant advantage of having a dedicated player in my setup......the Sony is very interesting to me over the cowons, iriver, and basso players due to the Android Ui and relatively cheaper pricing......

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #4,703 of 7,711
Thanks for the info Artstar. I would try it out unfortunately it's not here yet in my country. Am,thinking of shipping from Japan. I guess what I am trying to figure out if there is any significant advantage of having a dedicated player in my setup......the Sony is very interesting to me over the cowons, iriver, and basso players due to the Android Ui and relatively cheaper pricing......

To give you another view on this matter , I strongly recommend you read this review so that you won't feel so frustrating after buying any audio gear at this price range
http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4
My point is you should not raise your hope way too high when buying these luxurious items , especially at much lower price 100$-200$ it's not rare to find an extremely bang for the buck value . This is almost absolute truth when you are just a casual audio enthusiast , of course there are differences in sound quality reproduction between 2 polar of price tag but mostly they are noticeably perceived only by experienced enthusiast , long time reviewer and ppl with God ears/critical listeners . Without A/Bing 2 pieces of equipment one after another  , I find it hard to notice much improvement to justify the price (sound wise) when casually listening .
If you are looking for the best sound quality for the price , you care more about IEM , where improvements are more to say than among DAPs  , still sound wise , a twice-the-price good IEM is not really an upgrade of a great IEM.
Back to the ZX1 , to me a no-expert-in-audio-world-at-all , what clear improvement you would get after your purchase is an Android device with 128GB storage, good battery life so you don't have to drain your smartphone and a kick-ass design that beats everything else , of course only applied if  you like that looks , a middle finger to every mainstream super slim incredibly fragile looking gadget while still boasting class , appeal and trusty, durable look. For more style points , add a big smart watch (don't use smartband) and a cellphone from previous generation , W995 for example
Seriously though , my advice is , find something you like , search some reviews about it , if most are positive , descriptions match your taste , buy it and look no further , read no other products' review . Ignorance is bliss , don't care about there is something a little better for the price or something is not as good but way much cheaper . If you have the money to buy a good item that suits your taste , be happy and enjoy . Or like me , read everything to know its pros and cons but overlook any disappointment and enjoy it for what it has to offer and the reason why you choose it in the first place.
----------------------------------------
Added in another down-to-earth, heart wrenching, dream breaking for amateur head-fiers like me ,lol
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-walkman-nw-zx1-128gb-mp3-player-hi-res
No worries though , just remember you don't buy these for the sonic wow alone , it's the same thing for most "high-end" DAP , there are no day and night differences with casual listening .

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4,704 of 7,711
  Hello to all! I've pretty much read through this massive thread and I am hoping that some of you can help me out in my dilemma here. 
My current setup is as follows :  Sony Xperia Z1 phone to Ray Samuels Predator (amp section only) to NAD VISO HP50 headphones.  Source files are all FLAC.  

Thanks!

If you are an audiophile, then definitely yes. Right now the Z1 (DAC) is the weakest link in your audio chain, and a great DAC is very much important for the best quality sound. Weather you think the improvements are worth the cost is another matter, most audiophiles are happy to pay decent coin for any amount of improvement, mainly because once we hear that improvement we cannot go back to sound even a bit less good, that's what makes us audiophiles, we always want better sound :)

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4,705 of 7,711

Yes! I dont own any decent set of cans and the MDRs would have been an awesome start! Im not sure if my IE80s would do any justice to this player though..

Although I pre-ordered my player online, I popped into the Sony shop in Brisbane CBD today to have a look.  The sales guy told me that they didn't have one on display; however, he told me that it came with the free 'phones.  Might be worth investigating - maybe they are still running the offer.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #4,706 of 7,711
Are there any line out cables other than the Fiio L5 (and L50) one? I have seen custom ones on head.fi pictures, and would like one myself, but want to buy not make. Or is the Fiio as good as any other option? I am happy to pay a little extra for additional quality if one exists.
Thanks.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #4,707 of 7,711
Are there any line out cables other than the Fiio L5 (and L50) one? I have seen custom ones on head.fi pictures, and would like one myself, but want to buy not make. Or is the Fiio as good as any other option? I am happy to pay a little extra for additional quality if one exists.
Thanks.

You can get something like this and use any 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-To-Headphone-Amplifier-Adapter-/281118806230?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4173fc90d6

Or have a look here in these listings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsony+lod&_nkw=sony+lod&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,708 of 7,711
I had a chance to audition AK240 and Fiio X5 on NY Headfi meet last Saturday. I used my custom Roxannes with it. Wasn't impressed by nether of them. I like my ZX1+Roxanne much better.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,709 of 7,711
Thanks.

I ordered this one and it sounds great with the ZX1 in my bmw. Cable length is nice and long and good quality. Might be too long for you..

Also on another note I've noticed that reducing screen brightness improves battery considerably!

Also whilst on holiday, I noticed that What hifi have an article on hires portables in this months magazine. They compare the Astell and Kern with the UK ZX1. both get 4 stars, but didn't read rest as only flicked through..

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4,710 of 7,711
... And the cable link...

Audio Line Out Cable for Sony Walkman MP3 Players NWZ, NWZE, NW, A, S, E by Audioline http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q56O9G/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_CoSqtb114R6Z8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back