Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,881 of 7,711
  Just tried the Shure SE846. With the white filters (bright), they sound amazing with the ZX1. Great portable rig.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-appreciation-thread/705#post_10142644

What do you think about the noise floor of the ZX1? I was disappointed that there's noticeable hiss with the SE846, more than on my iPod Classic 6.5 (which has an almost black background).

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #2,882 of 7,711
Just received my ZX1 & PHA-2 combo. Amped it with a Portaphile 627X, the SQ was extremely satisfying. Even got goosebumps listening to some of the songs.

Listened to the following albums: The 2nd Law (Muse), The Blessed Unrest (Sara Bareilles), Clap your hands, here comes Charlie (Ella Fitzgerald).

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #2,883 of 7,711

You're trying to change my mind about selling my SE846 :wink:? Actually I've been talking to another member offline and the synergy between the ZX1 & the MH335DW is awesome. I'm actually happy with this combo that at times I wonder if I need to Studio Reference my MH335DW anymore (but I'll still do it knowing that the option is there :wink:).

Personally I'm still leaning towards the ZX1 having better synergy with those warmer earphones.

I also tried the 335 demos again, and the synergy is indeed great. If you have not tried the white filters with the 846 than think again. They are veiled without, balanced with them.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #2,884 of 7,711
Just received my ZX1 & PHA-2 combo. Amped it with a Portaphile 627X, the SQ was extremely satisfying. Even got goosebumps listening to some of the songs.

Listened to the following albums: The 2nd Law (Muse), The Blessed Unrest (Sara Bareilles), Clap your hands, here comes Charlie (Ella Fitzgerald).

more info on zx1+627x pairing is greatly appreciated. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #2,886 of 7,711
Did not notice...but then again some of the albums I listened to had hiss already so...

I get a little hiss with ES5s too, kinda funny that iPhone 4s has almost no hiss, while the ZX1 does. Although I never notice it while listening to music so it doesn't bother me. Probaly only thing I can take points off for this DAP after 2 weeks or so of use. Very minor problem tho, IMO.

P.S. It has less hiss than iphone 4, but more than iphone 4s, if this helps anyone.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #2,887 of 7,711

Getting my PHA-2 by frid the latest
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #2,888 of 7,711
Jan 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,889 of 7,711
I see

I see you own the Signature PRO. How is it from ther zx1?

To be honest i have not taken them out more than once, been so happy with both FA4E and H3, listening mostly on the go.
But the Sigsbsound extremely detailed and involving, no extreme brightness if thats what ur worried about,
They are not Grado AKG open sound, but they are my fav can of all times prob and it sounds great with anything really.

Should add easily driven by the ZX1 , like the Momentums

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,892 of 7,711
I get a little hiss with ES5s too, kinda funny that iPhone 4s has almost no hiss, while the ZX1 does. Although I never notice it while listening to music so it doesn't bother me. Probaly only thing I can take points off for this DAP after 2 weeks or so of use. Very minor problem tho, IMO.

P.S. It has less hiss than iphone 4, but more than iphone 4s, if this helps anyone.

that 'hiss' you're probably talking about is 'mic--noise' from the recording, I hear this on certain albums but when the music fully cuts in the air noise around the microphones disappears... this is fairly common around older recordings, hth.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,893 of 7,711
I am disappointed with the UK pricing. I thought it would be more like 449. Considering the fact that on this thread it has been stated a couple of times that there doesn't appear to be an audible benefit/difference from the F886/887 to the ZX1, essentially the extra cost is paying for a more exciting looking shell and the extra storage.....Am I missing something?

If I was going to order a ZX1, based on the UK pricing I would be better to order from Japan to avoid the volume limiter.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #2,894 of 7,711
that 'hiss' you're probably talking about is 'mic--noise' from the recording, I hear this on certain albums but when the music fully cuts in the air noise around the microphones disappears... this is fairly common around older recordings, hth.

Im talking about when IEM is plugged in and no musuc is playing :p

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,895 of 7,711
  I am disappointed with the UK pricing. I thought it would be more like 449. Considering the fact that on this thread it has been stated a couple of times that there doesn't appear to be an audible benefit/difference from the F886/887 to the ZX1, essentially the extra cost is paying for a more exciting looking shell and the extra storage.....Am I missing something?

If I was going to order a ZX1, based on the UK pricing I would be better to order from Japan to avoid the volume limiter.

it has upgraded internals over the F886/7, where they sound very similar the ZX1 hi's are a tad higher and the bass is about one notch deeper though you'd be hard pressed to hear the differences between the models.

the ZX1's tactile buttons are way better than on the F886/7, it has a stronger headphone post made of brass, double the memory and a case... the design is exquisite compared to the latest 'stamped on Darth Vader' helmet DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back