Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,087 of 7,711
Hmmm...should be able to. I don't have a PHA2 so I cannot confirm but as far as I know it should. Doesn't the PHA2 have many different USB input ports (one for iDevice, another for USB DAC, etc.?). Did he use the correct USB input port and changed the selector switch?

I use the USB DAC cable Sony WMC NWH 10 from WM ZX 1 and I use USB male to micro USB , I connect to PHA 2 on the right site for PC USB DAC

I already switch to PC USB DAC

The result NO sound come out from PHA 2 hp out , sound come out from WM ZX 1 speaker

At PHA 2 from left to right :

Mini USB for hi res Walkman
USB for I Devise
Micro USB for USB DAC / PC

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #2,088 of 7,711
  Do you still get sound out? If so its simply as Ok-Guy mentioned to me where the player is acting as the source and whatever you are hooked up to is the amp where sound is controlled from. Any settings you alter under the volume or internal sound settings wont affect the sound coming out via digital out/usb.

That's exactly what I am thinking, and by convention this should be the case.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,089 of 7,711
I use the USB DAC cable Sony WMC NWH 10 from WM ZX 1 and I use USB male to micro USB , I connect to PHA 2 on the right site for PC USB DAC

I already switch to PC USB DAC

The result NO sound come out from PHA 2 hp out , sound come out from WM ZX 1 speaker

At PHA 2 from left to right :

Mini USB for hi res Walkman
USB for I Devise
Micro USB for USB DAC / PC

Rudi

Thanks for your trial.
That means depend on USB DAC that support or not?
Can you unplug USB male to micro USB and push vol button?

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,093 of 7,711
Anybody help me.
When USB cable is connected to ZX1 without USB output to USB dac.
Can you adjust vol and the sound output at speaker like below fig?
I am worry that my cable is broken.

I don't have a ZX1 but if I not mistaken the iPhone operates exactly as what you are describing when I plug the Lighning connector to the phone lightning connector out. The dap relegates the sound control to the connected device at the other end so you don't have control from the player anymore. I would assume Sony does the same thing with their output connector. So basically that is normal. I am not sure what the ZX1 output is capable of i.e. Fixed Analog LO and/or fixed digital out but at that stage no volume control is needed. The other plugged device should provide you with volume control to your hp out.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,094 of 7,711
Am I missing something? Isn't the idea to just use that WM-Port to Mini-USB cable and connect to the Mini-USB port on the PHA-2, and voilà?!

Rudi is showing how to get USB DAC connectivity via the USB female to WM-Port cable.
But using another USB DAC than the PHA-2, surely?! The PHA-2 won't work as a USB DAC with the ZX1 via that link AFAIUI.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,095 of 7,711
I don't have a ZX1 but if I not mistaken the iPhone operates exactly as what you are describing when I plug the Lighning connector to the phone lightning connector out. The dap relegates the sound control to the connected device at the other end so you don't have control from the player anymore. I would assume Sony does the same thing with their output connector. So basically that is normal.

Thanks for sharing,
In my memory, I used to use ipod/iphone digital out with USB DAC.
The volume can not be used.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,098 of 7,711
My volume control work normal with USB DAC cable attach to my WM ZX 1

Thanks Rudi
wink_face.gif

that confirms my USB cable won't break and USB DAC(X1, Cruise) is not supported.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,099 of 7,711
I want share my experience with sony WM ZX 1 and sony dac amp PHA 2 as follow

WM ZX 1 works as USB DAC with :

Centrance Hi Fi M 8
Theorem use 3rd party app USB AUDIO RECORDER

Note : if connect your Sony WM ZX 1 via USB DAC to Centrance Hi Fi M 8 doesn't works
Please turn OFF your Sony WM ZX 1 and turn ON again , it will works

WM ZX 1 doesn't works as USB DAC with :

Sony dac amp PHA 2

I tried with optional Sony USB DAC WMC NWH 10 with stock sony male USB to micro USB
The result is the sane NO SOUND

Sony WM ZX 1 pair with sony PHA 2 only use Sony hi res cable

Use USB DAC WMC NWH 10 can NOT charge WM ZX 1 , I can charge with Sony stock USB to sony connector

I hope this can help

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,100 of 7,711

I can not argue with you, spot on.

Sometimes but not always.

I still have my Z, and many ask me why do I still have it.

Well I like how it sounds, and got enough power to drive my DT770 LE like a dream.

The Zx1 can drive it , and do sound nice but more power and Bass are needed to make it shine, this is where the Z comes.

The X5 compared to the ZX1 is a wreck, but it might sound better and it might have stable bug free UI, but still only limited to 128GB , as there is no microSD cards higher than 64GB (if you find one with bigger capacity ts a fake)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/upgraded-MicroSD-Cards-128GB-8GB-memory-card-TF-card-128GB-with-package/1167977524.html

Quote:

Notice: 
These are not full 128GB MicroSD card, they are actual 8GB capacity.But they show 128GB in phones and computers.if you are not professional, you will not find that it is !

Note: pls know more about this item and  look carefully on the discription  . if you Unprofessional and never buy this item, pls no to order before contact me.

I would always expect Sony to have a great UI. X5 is a bit ugly in pictures but if it works well, I won't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back