Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,486 of 7,711
Thanks for your frank impression Anax.  Given the ZX-1 has not break-in yet, the chance of it equaling the AK120 is quite high. Or so it could just be the "preference" thing we are talking about here.  You should also try using different music apps as each sound slightly different than another.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,487 of 7,711

I'm seriously rethinking about buying another WM-Z, love that Sony it has a touch of warmth that I love & miss.

I'll let you know in 3-4days, in truth I don't expect much difference if any.

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with Clear Audio or Sound Surround it brings nothing to the table, you may want to try this out, go to 'Sound Enhancements' in Music Settings tick the following DSEE & Dynamic Normaliser, this should give your music more body and soul and improve the dynamics. I personally leave the equalizer alone

Looking forward to your comparison, NG.

I think those settings you suggest are possibly the best option ? Personally, I find if I keep chopping & changing settings, it becomes a more and more questionable listen. I do think the surround settings are a little gimmicky, and again, switching from each one. just becomes more questionable.
Obviously, a well mixed / mastered album will also be a factor.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,488 of 7,711
  Looking forward to your comparison, NG.

I think those settings you suggest are possibly the best option ? Personally, I find if I keep chopping & changing settings, it becomes a more and more questionable listen. I do think the surround settings are a little gimmicky, and again, switching from each one. just becomes more questionable.
Obviously, a well mixed / mastered album will also be a factor.

Soon as I get the ZX1 I'll tick both the DSEE & DN boxes and that'll be it for me (it's how I like to roll), I only use Clear-Bass for certain albums where I want & enjoy serious bass impact at full volume. I wouldn't call me a 'audiophile' as I can't stand neutrally based systems that have no soul.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,489 of 7,711

looks like the software part is exactly like the f886. (that's not a great news)

AnakChan can you ear a background "tac" every 2 seconds with 334? (and most very sensitive IEMs)
no need for music, just turn it on or play with sound volume at zero.
it's on the f886 and drove me mad on silent parts of tracks.

You keep going on in threads about this 'tac' thingy, I have never heard anything in the background on any of my Walkman's, silent at full volume or playing. I do get a bit of microphone 'air' on older recordings but that disappears when the music starts or the vocals kick in.

nothing strange here my friend, as I've explained on the f886 thread, you need both to have an extremely sensitive IEM and to listen to music at pretty low volume.
when I'm out it's no problem obviously, but when I'm alone in a silent place, I tend to go lower and lower in volume over time. as the noise level stays put, when lowering the music volume I reduce the range between the 2 and end up hearing noise.
it's nothing magical, and not even that much of a problem as the simple solution is to add an amp so the ratio music/noise of the dap itself gets maximal.
I'm asking because if the zx1 doesn't have the small "tac" noise every 2 seconds, then I'll get one.  but if it's like the f886 then I'll go seek a fitting amp instead and be done with it.
but it's important for me not to buy another dap that might not solve my problem.
go check shigzeo's reviews, he's like me on the subject of hiss and will complain on pretty much all existing daps.
but hiss is something pretty constant that your brain can forget (think dithering). here this "tac" can't be dealt with by my brain and any calm part of a music would let me hear it. I happen to be insistent because it really matters to me to get a clear answer, if I didn't like sony I wouldn't bother trying to find "the one for me". and I believe AnakChan has the sensitive 334, thus my question to him.

I tried to contact sony but at the moment all I had was a guy asking me for a proof of purchase ... and they still haven't answered my angered and detailed reply 3 days ago ^_^.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,491 of 7,711

nothing strange here my friend, as I've explained on the f886 thread, you need both to have an extremely sensitive IEM and to listen to music at pretty low volume.
when I'm out it's no problem obviously, but when I'm alone in a silent place, I tend to go lower and lower in volume over time. as the noise level stays put, when lowering the music volume I reduce the range between the 2 and end up hearing noise.
it's nothing magical, and not even that much of a problem as the simple solution is to add an amp so the ratio music/noise of the dap itself gets maximal.
I'm asking because if the zx1 doesn't have the small "tac" noise every 2 seconds, then I'll get one.  but if it's like the f886 then I'll go seek a fitting amp instead and be done with it.
but it's important for me not to buy another dap that might not solve my problem.
go check shigzeo's reviews, he's like me on the subject of hiss and will complain on pretty much all existing daps.
but hiss is something pretty constant that your brain can forget (think dithering). here this "tac" can't be dealt with by my brain and any calm part of a music would let me hear it. I happen to be insistent because it really matters to me to get a clear answer, if I didn't like sony I wouldn't bother trying to find "the one for me". and I believe AnakChan has the sensitive 334, thus my question to him.

I tried to contact sony but at the moment all I had was a guy asking me for a proof of purchase ... and they still haven't answered my angered and detailed reply 3 days ago ^_^.

ok I think it's dawning on me from where your coming from (I think), would I be right in thinking an analogy like a cassette player wheel-noise at low volume, that used to drive me up the wall with that incessant wheel turning rub noise(?), it would go faster or slower depending how far into the album you were.

Bit weird to ask for proof of purchase, I had a minor problem with my WM-Z that I caused, Sony got me to connect my Walkman to the PC and they sorted it for me remotely, I was well impressed.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,493 of 7,711
I don't think this can beat the Tera Player in terms of SQ..
Prove me I am wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Another man's ears are not your ears so I figure the only way you going to find out is to invest in one, we look forward to your thoughts.
evil_smiley.gif

This 'cheap' sexy looking Walkman Hi-Res/DSD DAP certainly appears to be drawing the interest of owners of more exotic equipment, guess Sony must be doing something right.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,494 of 7,711
Hello, ZX1 owners -

Do any of you have information about battery replacement options? I'll consider the ZX1 if it's released in the U.S.; still, I wouldn't want to junk the unit simply because its battery goes bad.

Thanks,
Brian

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,496 of 7,711

Another man's ears are not your ears so I figure the only way you going to find out is to invest in one, we look forward to your thoughts.
evil_smiley.gif

This 'cheap' sexy looking Walkman Hi-Res/DSD DAP certainly appears to be drawing the interest of owners of more exotic equipment, guess Sony must be doing something right.

It seems Sony is doing something right. They have caught my interest (and my money). Mine will likely arrive before the end of the week. Memory comparisons only, though, with the Tera....

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,499 of 7,711

PriceJapan.com
5:40 PM (1 minute ago)
cleardot.gif

​
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

We will ship your Sony NW-ZX1 and WMC-NWH10 on Dec 09.

Its tracking No. will be EJ0..............

You can track it on http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/index_en.html from evening on Dec 08
 or (after it lands on your country) the website of post office in your country.

We will declare 16,180 Yen as total invoice value.

Thanks again for your order and trust on us.

Kaneda
www.pricejapan.com

I want to order in Vietnam, how to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back