Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,186 of 7,711
.... you never know with Sony, especially their track record last five years or so, but I would at the same time not hold my breath.

Come to think of it, it's amazing that Apple haven't done a high-quality, nicely-presented (i.e. not looking like a plastic paper weight), remote-controllable dock, by which I mean just a dock with RCA-outs for connecting to any hi-fi with a spare pair of RCA-ins.

I know Apple are big on WiFi etc, but even so, I reckon a nice semi-audiophile remote-controllable dock (I must emphasise remote-controllable) would have sold in worthwhile numbers for them.

When you look at how many 3rd-party vendors have jumped on the bandwagon with all-in-one boom-box docks for the iPod, there must be a not-inconsiderable number of iPod customers around the world who already own a home hi-fi (of whatever quality level) and would love to be able to plug their iPod into it and remotely-control the iPod from the far side of the room, even if only with basic RW <- Play/Pause -> FFW -  functionality.

....you raised a good point about the HM-901 dock, by the way;  nice though it is, I don't think it is remote-controllable, which is a massive missed opportunity (yes, I do realise it would require more R & D to accomplish but they already know all the relevant code hooks for the firmware).

Damn.... the more I think about this, the more I realise that Sony are perfectly placed to churn out a remote-controllable dock for their high-end DAPs... They have the expertise and experience to engineer something like that in their sleep!

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,187 of 7,711

Come to think of it, it's amazing that Apple haven't done a high-quality, nicely-presented (i.e. not looking like a plastic paper weight), remote-controllable dock, by which I mean just a dock with RCA-outs for connecting to any hi-fi with a spare pair of RCA-ins.

I know Apple are big on WiFi etc, but even so, I reckon a nice semi-audiophile remote-controllable dock (I must emphasise remote-controllable) would have sold in worthwhile numbers for them.

When you look at how many 3rd-party vendors have jumped on the bandwagon with all-in-one boom-box docks for the iPod, there must be a not-inconsiderable number of iPod customers around the world who already own a home hi-fi (of whatever quality level) and would love to be able to plug their iPod into it and remotely-control the iPod from the far side of the room, even if only with basic RW <- Play/Pause -> FFW -  functionality.

....you raised a good point about the HM-901 dock, by the way;  nice though it is, I don't think it is remote-controllable, which is a massive missed opportunity (yes, I do realise it would require more R & D to accomplish but they already know all the relevant code hooks for the firmware).

Damn.... the more I think about this, the more I realise that Sony are perfectly placed to churn out a remote-controllable dock for their high-end DAPs... They have the expertise and experience to engineer something like that in their sleep!

Funny enough, i think Sony made a cradle dock for the ipod in the vain of the NWU7 design to connect to their mini hi-fi's a few years ago which I guess would of been controlled from the hi-fi remote like I do with my X1060 through my Oppo player which goes through my Hi-fi system.  Apple always left it 95% of the time to third party companies to do the dock type accessories so were never going to produce something as you mention.  

Sony on the other hand are capable of doing this from experience and the R & D pov would not be a issue or take much more time whilst they are already designing a product to incorporate the remote compatibility but again it would unfortunately be various number of business factors on their part which these things do not materialise (just like those in-line remote controls do not anymore!).

Have to say this new tall slim dock they have made is a poor attempt from their previous  portfolio of dock/ cradle products and might only consider it if the price is sensible but being Sony that will not be the case.  

Maybe we should just thank our lucky stars Sony are finally doing a high end Walkman which can also do High res material which a few months ago looked likely to never happen and the Walkman lines future was in question, but as we know they are capable of much more. creativity wise anyway.

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,188 of 7,711
  .... controlled from the hi-fi remote like I do with my X1060 through my Oppo player which goes through my Hi-fi system.

Wow. that sounds cool. I haven't heard of that kind of 3rd-party functionality, and from a mix of Oppo+Sony, no less!

"I learned something today!"

Quote:
  Sony on the other hand are capable of doing this from experience and the R & D pov would not be a issue or take much more time whilst they are already designing a product to incorporate the remote compatibility but again it would unfortunately be various number of business factors on their part which these things do not materialise (just like those in-line remote controls do not anymore!).

LOL! :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/180#post_9292549

Maybe we should just thank our lucky stars Sony are finally doing a high end Walkman which can also do High res material which a few months ago looked likely to never happen and the Walkman lines future was in question.

True... true....  
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,189 of 7,711

LOL! :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/180#post_9292549

True... true....  
beerchug.gif

Well, a few months ago I would of said "OMG, who killed Sony!" as we all learn something every day.  

It was a surprise to me that the Sony Cradle with my Sony X1060 Walkman worked flawlessly through the Oppo player and even more excited that it worked fully using the Oppo remote for all the playback controls. The Oppo just scans the Walkman as a hard drive and shows it in folder form and once you select a folder or choose to play by artist, album, tracks or genre it comes up on the tv showing the album art and info which is done through the Oppo retrieving it from the internet automatically through Gracenote.  

I usually just select all tracks and set it to shuffle on the Oppo when doing stuff around the house.   Essentially it acts as a network player which was a bonus.  I have just got a 4TB external Lacie drive so will bung a lot of WAV files on there and just plug it into the Oppo as my on tap juke box, so might be able to hold of buying the hot new looking Sony Network player that was due out soon. 

I made that in-line remark as we already had a natter about that several pages back when you showed me that link, maybe if we can get a few thousand more like us Sony will resurrect them!  

But then I still hold out hope Sony will do the hard playback buttons on the top of the Walkman! 

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,190 of 7,711
  Well, a few months ago I would of said "OMG, who killed Sony!" as we all learn something every day.  

It was a surprise to me that the Sony Cradle with my Sony X1060 Walkman worked flawlessly through the Oppo player and even more excited that it worked fully using the Oppo remote for all the playback controls. The Oppo just scans the Walkman as a hard drive and shows it in folder form and once you select a folder or choose to play by artist, album, tracks or genre it comes up on the tv showing the album art and info which is done through the Oppo retrieving it from the internet automatically through Gracenote.  

I usually just select all tracks and set it to shuffle on the Oppo when doing stuff around the house.   Essentially it acts as a network player which was a bonus.  I have just got a 4TB external Lacie drive so will bung a lot of WAV files on there and just plug it into the Oppo as my on tap juke box, so might be able to hold of buying the hot new looking Sony Network player that was due out soon. 

I made that in-line remark as we already had a natter about that several pages back when you showed me that link, maybe if we can get a few thousand more like us Sony will resurrect them!  

But then I still hold out hope Sony will do the hard playback buttons on the top of the Walkman! 

Why???

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,192 of 7,711
  That one on the right looks plenty High Rez to me!!

I hear a rumor that for the first 100 ZX1 customers, she will deliver them herself!!!!!
atsmile.gif

P.S: I am # 87

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,194 of 7,711

I am sure she will be plenty tired after #86 already...

cool.gif
....The better, so she can relax and take her time, while delivering mine
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,198 of 7,711
Why? Barely couple of weeks, in the mean time it's nice to hear what other members think.

It was only a suggestion.

When a products release is imminent, and all the pre-release details have been painstakingly discussed to the point of exhaustion, threads have a tendency, during the final furlong prior to actual release, to deteriorate into people squabbling (already been some of that, a couple of pages ago), or talking nonsense (see above few posts, mine included), or just meandering entirely off-topic. Anyone who's been a member here for long enough will have seen their fair share of threads following this familiar pattern of deterioration in the last weeks or days prior to product release.

But if that's fine with everyone else then it's fine with me (well, except for the squabbling
wink.gif
).

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,199 of 7,711
I just demoed F886 from one of headphone stores in my country. The sound quality is clearly better than my walkman Z in 2 areas, namely; soundstage and instrument separation.
Now, I can't wait to try ZX1. I wish I could buy ZX1 from Japan this year but I can't due to my financial reasons. Σ(´д`:wink:

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,200 of 7,711
  I just demoed F886 from one of headphone stores in my country. The sound quality is clearly better than my walkman Z in 2 areas, namely; soundstage and instrument separation.
Now, I can't wait to try ZX1. I wish I could buy ZX1 from Japan this year but I can't due to my financial reasons. Σ(´д`:wink:

My old F807 is also superior in soundstage & instrumentation separation compared to the Z.  The F807 that I have also has more details....so this is nothing new, but thanks for confirming that the same improvements are carried over to the new F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back