Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #7,336 of 7,711
  I didn't think anything needed to be changed on the ZX1 either until I tried the new beta of the Sony music app for Xperia on my phone. I do wish some of those music player features were available on the ZX1, but that would be just making the app compatible with it or updating the ZX1 app.  No need for system software update.  I will only think the system software needs to be updated if my music streaming apps quit working on it for some reason.

I have no major complaints either, although I would like to have improved playlist management capabilities, and maybe to be able to facilitate hi rez digital output from 3rd party music apps.  Whoa, I guess I did have a couple of complaints!  
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #7,337 of 7,711
  I have no major complaints either, although I would like to have improved playlist management capabilities, and maybe to be able to facilitate hi rez digital output from 3rd party music apps.  Whoa, I guess I did have a couple of complaints!  
rolleyes.gif

Give PowerAmp a try.  I swear mine is a totally different player now.  My only annoyance now is that I can't remove the sony stock player and it sometimes takes over the hardware buttons when left alone for a while. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #7,338 of 7,711

Give PowerAmp a try.  I swear mine is a totally different player now.  My only annoyance now is that I can't remove the sony stock player and it sometimes takes over the hardware buttons when left alone for a while. 

I tried PowerAmp, and strangely, I couldn't rid it of a low level hum when playing with it.  And as with the other music apps, digital output is limited to 44.1/16.

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #7,340 of 7,711

Yeah, try the alpha build.  They rebuilt the engine.  Mine plays 96/24 with no trouble.

It will play 96/24 if you listen directly out of the ZX1, but if you use the  digital out, connected to an external DAC or amp, it only plays 44/16..  It's not the app, it is an Android software issue.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #7,343 of 7,711
Do Poweramp alpha, it has no problem feeding high-res to PHA-3

Don't see Alpha in the store.  I have the full version.  Not the same?

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #7,344 of 7,711
  Don't see Alpha in the store.  I have the full version.  Not the same?

You have to opt-in since it's still in alpha

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8656-poweramp-alpha-build-702/

May 7, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #7,347 of 7,711
I note in earlier threads that the WM port, using the official NWH10 cable, that the ZX1 outputs at a sample rate of 44khz only, apparently a software issue. I'm using Neutron through a Chord Mojo and that is what I am finding. Has anyone used any other apps that can output at a higher sample rate through the WM port?

May 7, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #7,348 of 7,711
  I note in earlier threads that the WM port, using the official NWH10 cable, that the ZX1 outputs at a sample rate of 44khz only, apparently a software issue. I'm using Neutron through a Chord Mojo and that is what I am finding. Has anyone used any other apps that can output at a higher sample rate through the WM port?

From my trials, only the Sony player outputs digital high rez sample rates through the WM port.  And yes, because of that, I would assume it is an android issue, not the physical player.

May 7, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #7,350 of 7,711
It's ridiculous that a hi-res player can't output any more than CD quality through the WM port, but can through headphones.

I use mine with a Hugo up to 192/24, and it sounds great.  Is there some reason you don't want to use the Sony player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back