Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #6,676 of 7,711
I have been searching the web for a while now, can anybody point me to a SHORT cable to connect the ZX1 to USB? Since I am in Germany it has to be a shop that ships to Germany. I would be very great full if someone new a source for this. As for SHORT I mean 5 to 7 inches OR 12 to 18 cm the hole thing including the connectors, not only the cable.

Ilkyway

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,677 of 7,711
Anyone else find that their ZX1 won't shut down? If I shut it down, it restarts. The only way to get it to stay off is for the battery to die. It just will not power completely off for me any more. 

Mine is the complete opposite. Twice in a month now, my ZX1 has refused to power up despite being a fully charged battery. I have to hit the reset button on the back and we're good to go again. Weird and I haven't installed any aftermarket software on it, aside from its automatically updating all the apps that came out of the box.

It'd be nice to root these things so I can at least disable/freeze apps that I definitely don't need on it, like Google Maps and whatnot.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #6,678 of 7,711

Mine is the complete opposite. Twice in a month now, my ZX1 has refused to power up despite being a fully charged battery. I have to hit the reset button on the back and we're good to go again. Weird and I haven't installed any aftermarket software on it, aside from its automatically updating all the apps that came out of the box.

It'd be nice to root these things so I can at least disable/freeze apps that I definitely don't need on it, like Google Maps and whatnot.

That would be nice. Perhaps the update now rolling out (to 1.14) will fix it? It appears to have fixed my issue, at least for now. Might have just been an associated clearing of dalvik cache that did the trick for me. I am not entirely sure what the update actually did. The Japanese page seems to refer to adding compatibility for a new dock

Nearly a year on, I have to say, I've stopped acquiring portable audio gear. My ZX1 with my Merlins seems to be the end of my journey. Despite a couple quirks, this device will liklely hold me over until I have a phone that sounds as good as it does, while being perfectly functional, allowing me to use Google Play Music, etc. That my personal audio quest's ending has freed funds for photography might be part of why I've stopped, but I have to say, I'm completely content with this device.  

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #6,679 of 7,711
I have been searching the web for a while now, can anybody point me to a SHORT cable to connect the ZX1 to USB? Since I am in Germany it has to be a shop that ships to Germany. I would be very great full if someone new a source for this. As for SHORT I mean 5 to 7 inches OR 12 to 18 cm the hole thing including the connectors, not only the cable.

Ilkyway

Similar to the straight 6" WMCNWP10 portable cable, SONY Canada is now showing a new L-shaped version XA50WM. Guessing this will stick out a couple of inches.

I've always considered the WMCNWP10 to be a "road-warrior's" must-have, but the new model looks even better.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,680 of 7,711
Did you already do the firmware 1.14 update? I've downloaded it from the japanese site, but I can't build up a connection between the update program and the Walkman. I have more than 350MB free internal space (internal and usb) and I followed simply the instructions. Any idea? I honestly don't want to wait so long because I am having some trouble with the firmware, it often hangs.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #6,681 of 7,711
  Did you already do the firmware 1.14 update? I've downloaded it from the japanese site, but I can't build up a connection between the update program and the Walkman. I have more than 350MB free internal space (internal and usb) and I followed simply the instructions. Any idea? I honestly don't want to wait so long because I am having some trouble with the firmware, it often hangs.

I did do the update. I just downloaded it on the device and ran it without issue. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #6,682 of 7,711
Has anyone read this review/rant compared the A17, ZX1, to the Pono?  

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1214/Sony_NWZ_ZX1_NWZ_A17_Pono_Music_Player.htm

I personally own both the ZX1 & A17 and do like the ZX1 better in general soudwise.  Still can't understand how the A17 managed to get better rating than the ZX1 in the "fit & finish" department.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #6,683 of 7,711
Lol reminds me of that french reviewer from Qobuz who was bashing Walkman F but praised XperiaZ2 SQ to be closed to ZX1 hahahaha

Tested Walkman A last month, I think it's pretty good for the price but it's far from being on par with ZX1

Once Sony's done with press meeting next week, I'll be able to play a bit with ZX2.....really curious to listen to it

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #6,684 of 7,711
The update is still not listed for my Walkman, maybe I have to wait. Anyway, I uninstalled all google app updates like hangouts, google search, google music and all the google stuff, and suddenly my Walkman is as fast as it was after purchase. Incredible, from now on I will install the updates manually, and not the google apps. But it's a bit annoying that there is always a notification showing up that I need to update the google apps. :/

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #6,687 of 7,711
Update is rolling for me. Anyone knows what's changed?

Edit:

1 - Still 4.1.1
2 - Seems a little more responsive
3 - Apps don't seem to have been updated...

Will Google to confirm changes, but seems to have been minimal.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6,688 of 7,711
Similar to the straight 6" WMCNWP10 portable cable, SONY Canada is now showing a new L-shaped version XA50WM. Guessing this will stick out a couple of inches.

I've always considered the WMCNWP10 to be a "road-warrior's" must-have, but the new model looks even better.

Thanks for your answer. Both options seem to be unavailable in Germany. Maybe I found a solution on e-bay: an adapter from Sony WM to Micro USB. Than I can use my phone-cable.

Ilkyway

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #6,689 of 7,711
  Has anyone read this review/rant compared the A17, ZX1, to the Pono?  

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1214/Sony_NWZ_ZX1_NWZ_A17_Pono_Music_Player.htm

I personally own both the ZX1 & A17 and do like the ZX1 better in general soudwise.  Still can't understand how the A17 managed to get better rating than the ZX1 in the "fit & finish" department.

What does the zx1 do better than the a17?

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6,690 of 7,711
  What does the zx1 do better than the a17?

Same type of sound but just a little more power & weight to it.  The A17 may have softer top end.  The ZX1 also offer better resolution & details. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back