Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,826 of 7,711
I just got my ZX1 today and I must say I was a bit worried about the sound signature being cold (I've read that a lot) but so far I don't find it too cold or analytical, it pairs well with the Shure SE846 :)  I really outshines every player I had (iPod Touch 5G, Note3 + FiiO E18) in a big way!

A major gripe I have with the player is how the memory is weirdly split, with almost all of the memory being identified by Android as external SD, which makes Spotify simply unusable offline as tey don't support external storage :frowning2:  Update : Strike that, Spotify got me a strange error a couple of times, it works now :)

(yes, you're going to ask what's the point of ZX1 with 320kpbs but I both listen to new music on Spotify and get higher resolution source of the artist later...).

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,827 of 7,711
  I just got my ZX1 today and I must say I was a bit worried about the sound signature being cold (I've read that a lot) but so far I don't find it too cold or analytical, it pairs well with the Shure SE846 :)  I really outshines every player I had (iPod Touch 5G, Note3 + FiiO E18) in a big way!

A major gripe I have with the player is how the memory is weirdly split, with almost all of the memory being identified by Android as external SD, which makes Spotify simply unusable offline as tey don't support external storage :frowning2:

(yes, you're going to ask what's the point of ZX1 with 320kpbs but I both listen to new music on Spotify and get higher resolution source of the artist later...).

Hi,
It would be interesting, to me atleast :) if you could elaborate a bit more on your cpmparison of the ZX1 with the 5th gen touch.
Also, have you had the oportunity to listen to an iPod connected to an HP-P1?
How does the ZX1 compares to the HP-P1? Any insight?

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,828 of 7,711
  Hi,
It would be interesting, to me atleast :) if you could elaborate a bit more on your cpmparison of the ZX1 with the 5th gen touch.
Also, have you had the oportunity to listen to an iPod connected to an HP-P1?
How does the ZX1 compares to the HP-P1? Any insight?

Cheers!

I can weigh in a bit.  The 5G Touch is really very good - before the ZX1 it was my portable source.  On its own it was better than my previous rig, which was a 4G Touch/LOD/Apex Glacier.  The ZX1 is dramatically better - it's in a whole different league.  Soundstage, clarity, bass quality and extension, air, everything: much, much better.

I don't have experience with the HP-P1 but I like the ZX1, with IEMs, (very slightly) better than the M8 - so it's going to be as good or better than most of the iDevice/DAC/amp combos.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3,829 of 7,711
  I can weigh in a bit.  The 5G Touch is really very good - before the ZX1 it was my portable source.  On its own it was better than my previous rig, which was a 4G Touch/LOD/Apex Glacier.  The ZX1 is dramatically better - it's in a whole different league.  Soundstage, clarity, bass quality and extension, air, everything: much, much better.

I don't have experience with the HP-P1 but I like the ZX1, with IEMs, (very slightly) better than the M8 - so it's going to be as good or better than most of the iDevice/DAC/amp combos.

Thank you for taking the time to compare them.
Your insight on the ZX1 vs iDevice + Hfi-M8 is very interesting.
Some say the M8 is superior to the HP-P1, so having asingle device with the form factor of the ZX1 beating it is very interesting.

I also use IEM's.
Currently Monster Gratitude, JVC FX700 and FXZ200. GOing to pickup some UE900's soon. :)

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3,830 of 7,711
While I stand to be corrected about the European model, I see no mention of ATRAC on the Sony UK website, as is the case with the F80x series too.

you're probably right but you might not be... have to wait until the file-types are listed.

anyhow apart from the above I'm happy my ZX1 plays Atrac, also over the moon that the Hugo supports Atrac as well... saves me re-ripping CD's.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,831 of 7,711
While I stand to be corrected about the European model, I see no mention of ATRAC on the Sony UK website, as is the case with the F80x series too.

you're probably right but you might not be... have to wait until the file-types are listed.

They are listed. Take a look at the specifications page on the UK website.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,832 of 7,711
  I just got my ZX1 today....

A major gripe I have with the player is how the memory is weirdly split, with almost all of the memory being identified by Android as external SD, which makes Spotify simply unusable offline as tey don't support external storage :frowning2:

How ironic....the biggest gripe about the ZX1 is the lack of an external SD slot and it identifies it's memory as an "external SD"...
blink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,836 of 7,711
How ironic....the biggest gripe about the ZX1 is the lack of an external SD slot and it identifies it's memory as an "external SD"...
blink.gif

Yeah the partition is really strange with a 1GB partition and the rest is a big partition that is assimilated to an external drive. I got errors from Spotify when syncing but it finally worked. Strange. Sony must be doing some proprietary thing there that apps don't like.

Anyway, the build is fantastic and everything is so much better than any source I have had : soundstage, deep and detailed bass, depth, texture, micro details... it's really shining with my IEM (shure SE846), also a good fit for FAD Pandora VI but less striking of a leap... but the SE846 are very special and in their own league.

To answer the question, the iPod Touch 5G was great, FiiO E18 a tad nicer but the ZX1 well... mind blown!

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #3,837 of 7,711
Poweramp plays FLAC.

NOte: stock player SQ is better than power amp. More mid bass and treble more define with slighter greater transients. All this is very very minor, its only there when you really listen very closely with a very critical analysis. The UI of power amp is way better than stock... way way easier to use and more fluid with no stutter.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #3,838 of 7,711
I also tested the ZX1 vs Dacport. I am surprise that the Dacport holds its ground pretty well. For those who wants to experience how the dacport (1 ohm mode) would sound like. Try this with your stock player:

Go to sound setting: push 6Khz up +2, 16KHZ +1 and Clear bass +1. The sound now would sound almost like Dacport but the vocal of the ZX1 is more forward (which I like) and mid bass of Dacport is still more define. Just for fun, if you want to know how the dacport sound. Also note that the dacport has been rated in the past by ODAC designer as the best portable amps out there 2-3 yrs ago. Its still holds very high in my books even today.

It will not work with power amp no matter what EQ I used to mimic the dacport, the attack, fast bass, simply can't match the Dacport.. only the stock is at its level & with the above EQ, it comes pretty close.

I am using Shure 846 to test so it may varies..if you have other IEM.

Enjoy :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3,839 of 7,711
Poweramp plays FLAC.

NOte: stock player SQ is better than power amp. More mid bass and treble more define with slighter greater transients. All this is very very minor, its only there when you really listen very closely with a very critical analysis. The UI of power amp is way better than stock... way way easier to use and more fluid with no stutter.

Does the stock player take ALAC files?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back