Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,921 of 7,711
I want to share my experience with this set up

Source : Sony WM ZX 1 as source
Dac / Amp : Sony PHA 2 use with hi rest cable and amp
Centrance Hi Fi M8 as USB DAC and amp
Iem : Sony XBA H 3
Headphone : LCD 3

I found out use hi res and USB DAC function , my Walkman WM ZX 1 battery runing very fast about 5 to 6 hours

Anybody has tried like me and got this experience

Please advise

Thank you

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,922 of 7,711
I want to share my experience with this set up

Source : Sony WM ZX 1 as source
Dac / Amp : Sony PHA 2 use with hi rest cable and amp
Centrance Hi Fi M8 as USB DAC and amp
Iem : Sony XBA H 3
Headphone : LCD 3

I found out use hi res and USB DAC function , my Walkman WM ZX 1 battery runing very fast about 5 to 6 hours

Anybody has tried like me and got this experience

Please advise

Thank you

If I understood correctly, pairing it with M8 gives horrible battery life?

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,923 of 7,711
I look at things that I can't afford but then it boosts me to save money and be wise :happy_face1: So I don't go for mid gear, it is either the top or not.

That's better than me. I tend to spend on both for some odd reason lol. Like right now I'm trying to decide to buy this or the hm901 but can't make up my mind as the used market for a hm901 isn't that far off from a new zx1

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,924 of 7,711
That's better than me. I tend to spend on both for some odd reason lol. Like right now I'm trying to decide to buy this or the hm901 but can't make up my mind as the used market for a hm901 isn't that far off from a new zx1

Depends on what kind of device you are looking for. HM901 is best for office/home/desktop use I believe, I wouldn't want to bring it outside for both size and battery life problems. ZX1 seems to be (just my assuming) delivering pretty close to HM901 but quite less power with very user friendly experience, nice size and battery life and superior build quality.

So if you live with the cons of HM901, go for it, otherwise ZX1 seems to be a winner.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,926 of 7,711
Sq wise is excellent with Hi Fi M8 as USB dac
With sony PHA 2 as hi res player battery drain very fast too

Could be USB dac and hi res take a lot of energy from the WM ZX 1

hence why it has a bigger battery to the F887... Turok said it would take about 5-6 full charges to maximise the battery, I taking this to mean run it flat, I'm also charging from the mains/usb till it's completed.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,927 of 7,711
Those thinking of upgrading from the Z1060/70 to either F887/ZX1 should give it some hefty consideration first, why do you want to upgrade should be the most important consideration... if you love the detailed warmth of the WM-Z and are not bothered about Hi-Res stick with what you got as you might not like the subtleties in the change of SQ in relation to the ZX1.

The ZX1 is the superior DAP in almost every aspect apart from one, it has no real warmth dealing with certain genres that have been 'time-locked' production wise from another era, these genres love warmth imo and without it they can leave you feeling a bit left out(?), cold if you will as the extra detail actually has a numbing effect... for me the ZX1 is a upgrade that I'm 99.9% happy with, I just hope Sony can take care of that 0.1% by adding a touch of warmth at some point.

This might answer the 'why is Turok selling his ZX1' question... hopefully he'll hang fire and see if a firmware update helps, I'll remind him of how the last firmware update for the Z1070 went when Sony rushed out a correction restoring the bass... I had visions of Sony employees falling on their samurai's in shame over that one for getting it wrong.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,928 of 7,711
I look at things that I can't afford but then it boosts me to save money and be wise :happy_face1: So I don't go for mid gear, it is either the top or not.

Seems to me your the richer guy if you can control your desire to buy and wait for the right gear to come up. I find that the best thing to do and it's not easy to do by any means is to wait until you can afford it and then convince yourself you don't need it, move on to the next better thing and repeat the cycle :wink:

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,929 of 7,711
Seems to me your the richer guy if you can control your desire to buy and wait for the right gear to come up. I find that the best thing to do and it's not easy to do by any means is to wait until you can afford it and then convince yourself you don't need it, move on to the next better thing and repeat the cycle
wink.gif

I did ignore the F807... the ZX1 was just too tempting.
tongue_smile.gif

would you like to be my analyst and cure my growing OCD Head-fi'itis... pretty please. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,931 of 7,711
I did ignore the F807... the ZX1 was just too tempting. :tongue_smile:

would you like to be my analyst and cure my growing OCD Head-fi'itis... pretty please. 

You heard the expression the cobbler's children has no shoes well you'll have no dap lmao :D

I would probably be the worst offender when the pressure becomes unbearable I break and buy the thing. What I describe might be an unachievable goal. :wink:

I think you'd be better served buying the time of a true analyst, you are addicted my friend :wink:

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,932 of 7,711
I have read some users complaining about the output of this device. I currently use 32 ohm portable phones. My iPhone 4S puts out enough juice to drive them. I am wondering how an unamped ZX1 compares.

Could someone with the ZX1 and an iPhone 4(s) report as to the volume difference between the two.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,933 of 7,711
Depends on what kind of device you are looking for. HM901 is best for office/home/desktop use I believe, I wouldn't want to bring it outside for both size and battery life problems. ZX1 seems to be (just my assuming) delivering pretty close to HM901 but quite less power with very user friendly experience, nice size and battery life and superior build quality.

So if you live with the cons of HM901, go for it, otherwise ZX1 seems to be a winner.

I might be over thinking this purchase. I've never thought of buying a dap this expensive. I do like a good battery and good ui as most of these daps have better sound than ui. The side buttons look pretty useful compared to my x3 that needs the screen to be in to do anything.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,934 of 7,711
I might be over thinking this purchase. I've never thought of buying a dap this expensive. I do like a good battery and good ui as most of these daps have better sound than ui. The side buttons look pretty useful compared to my x3 that needs the screen to be in to do anything.

Considered yourself lucky now you can pick DX50 for a low price, X5 for a higher but still modest price. The ZX1 for an affordable price. The possible Calyx M for a not available more expensive price or AKxxx for exorbitant prices. You pay you pick :wink:

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,935 of 7,711
correct me if i am wrong, i dont think it has been confirmed that this little device can compete on SQ with HM901 (balance card)... or has it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back