Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,217 of 2,024
It's strange.
confused.gif
. Usually I listen without EQ. I have only one mark against - dynamic normalization. All other effects are disabled.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,218 of 2,024
Quote:

It appears that the grey market items are the one that are not able to upgrade.  You get what you pay for in this case.  Not all bad though, the grey market one is over $150 cheaper for 64GB F807 version and has yet to crash on me once.

This firmware is probably skippable. What happens when another firmware comes a long with lots improvements? Ditch the "S0ny" NW-F807 then?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,219 of 2,024
Sorry if this has been covered a bajillion times, but for some reason the thread search function isn't working for me this morning.

Will the F Series work on a Mac? The box says it's Windows only, but could I just mount it as an external drive rather than using any sort of software to upload files?

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,220 of 2,024
Quote:
Sorry if this has been covered a bajillion times, but for some reason the thread search function isn't working for me this morning.

Will the F Series work on a Mac? The box says it's Windows only, but could I just mount it as an external drive rather than using any sort of software to upload files?

In my Linux it work perfectly like any USB storage, have to work the same in your Mac, this player is very fast for USB transfer.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,221 of 2,024
Quote:

I'm guessing that the Sony software for media sync might not work. However, I've only ever loaded music via drag and drop over USB, so I'm pretty sure that approach would work fine on a Mac.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,223 of 2,024
Quote:

Quote:
I'm guessing that the Sony software for media sync might not work. However, I've only ever loaded music via drag and drop over USB, so I'm pretty sure that approach would work fine on a Mac.

Yes, this is correct. I frequently use my F806 with my work Mac as drag/drop, and at home as well on my PC (either drag/drop or with Media Go software). I'll be curious to hear what the differences are sonically between the F and the A865....

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #1,224 of 2,024
Quote:

This firmware is probably skippable. What happens when another firmware comes a long with lots improvements? Ditch the "S0ny" NW-F807 then?

I'm still satisfied.  The sound is what I'm after.  Will I paid full price for F807, probably not.  So I can live with that.  Like you, I also have the DX100...but I prefer the F807 over the DX100 on the form and function.  With a regular 16 bit 44.1khz playback, the F807 isn't far behind the DX100 at all in the sound department.  Only when the playing hi-rez mats, that is when the difference become more subtle.  I will only sell the F807 only when Sony released the newer model with better sound quality and hopefully hi-rez supports.  Plus I plan to keep my Z1070 for awhile so I'm down with more support on that player.  Given that my unit is Jap grey unit, it is still loaded with Sony Apps that are not available elsewhere such as NC.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,225 of 2,024
Quote:
In this case bass level is too low to recognize distortions if they are still present. Seems as if there were gone.
And yes-it's on default sony player. The same situation with other players: EQ off - almost no distortion, but if I try to increase bass - it doesn't increase but distortions appear.

then it means the sound mixer doesn't want to present the bass at that song, if you forcefully enhance it, of course it will be distorted

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,226 of 2,024
EQ off  " almost " no  distortion - agreed.

The distortion range is somewhere upper bass, the deepest low no problem at all. before the update distorted sound on both treble and bass, now only bass for certain songs.

Sennehisher launch with new IEM IE 800 claims can go high and low without distorted, will soon go audition to check the distortion songs to see the truth :p

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #1,227 of 2,024
Quote:
 the F807 isn't far behind the DX100 at all in the sound department.  Only when the playing hi-rez mats, that is when the difference become more subtle.

Cool ! How if compare the two with headphone, eg Sen momentum or Sony MDR-1R? 

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,228 of 2,024
Dec 15, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,229 of 2,024
Quote:
Cool ! How if compare the two with headphone, eg Sen momentum or Sony MDR-1R? 

The DX-100 will likely pull ahead and widen the gap given that it has a stronger headphones section compared to the F807 for full size phones.  I can test this and report back with my MDR-CD1700 or my Qualia.  For IEM usages via 16 bit 44.1 khz, the difference isn't large...but the DX100 wins hand down when playing hi-rez stuffs.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,230 of 2,024
Thanks for the info ^ ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back