Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #931 of 2,024
Quote:
Does this player has traditional line-out? Can I use Fiio L5 for this?

Yes, it has a line out but not traditionally via a 3.5 mm jack.  You need a "Sony LOD" adapter and access a line out feature via WM port.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SONY-WM-PORT-LINE-OUT-DOCK-W-3-5MM-JACK-/290436263970

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #932 of 2,024
Does this player has traditional line-out? Can I use Fiio L5 for this?

...or :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-MP3-Line-Out-LOD-Cable-OFC-Silver-Plated-/280664514394?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4158e89f5a

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #933 of 2,024
Quote:
...or :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-MP3-Line-Out-LOD-Cable-OFC-Silver-Plated-/280664514394?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4158e89f5a

This ebay seller is a nice person and ships fast. Handled with him in the past

However I´m almost sure you will not notice benefits from the line out socket (I tested it side to side with headphone out), in fact the sound becomes a bit dry. I guess it has to do with the way sony handles the amplification on the digital domain on the master mx series. But you can always try for yourself, it´s a cheap cable/socket

Instead of a closed sony line out I would recommend a normal jack to jack line out and a separate sony socket to connect to, so you can use the line out it on other applications (including the sony headphone out)

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #934 of 2,024
A small notion.....Please show me any picture of Steve Jobs listing to the ipod in his daily life!!!!!

Steve liked everything about the Ipod except its [COLOR=FF00AA]sound[/COLOR]

Prove me wrong.

He only listened to LP, and was developing a HD music store and a player with Neil Young.....PONO?

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #935 of 2,024
Quote:

However I´m almost sure you will not notice benefits from the line out socket (I tested it side to side with headphone out), in fact the sound becomes a bit dry. I guess it has to do with the way sony handles the amplification on the digital domain on the master mx series. But you can always try for yourself, it´s a cheap cable/socket

Instead of a closed sony line out I would recommend a normal jack to jack line out and a separate sony socket to connect to, so you can use the line out it on other applications (including the sony headphone out)

What amp did you test it with? This is kind of disheartening news since I bought the F806 specifically to pair with a Leckerton UHA-6S.mkII.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #936 of 2,024
i tried the F and the Z (US version) again side by side yesterday. although the difference is small, its noticeable. specially the F having more "airyness" than the Z. The Z sounds compressed maybe because it has more bass so the sound is more thick... or something.

also tried the lisa3 with the F, very nice combination. add a 334 to the chain and it is too expensive so ill just buy a stax (again) rig lol

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #938 of 2,024
Quote:
i tried the F and the Z (US version) again side by side yesterday. although the difference is small, its noticeable. specially the F having more "airyness" than the Z. The Z sounds compressed maybe because it has more bass so the sound is more thick... or something.

also tried the lisa3 with the F, very nice combination. add a 334 to the chain and it is too expensive so ill just buy a stax (again) rig lol

What you are hearing is a more pronounced midbass on the Z.  Yes, I love the sense of airiness on the F as well.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #941 of 2,024
both the japanese and english versions are made in malaysia. i dont think either version will have problems with it

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #944 of 2,024
Quote:

What amp did you test it with? This is kind of disheartening news since I bought the F806 specifically to pair with a Leckerton UHA-6S.mkII.

Tried it with a few: an old FIIP E5 I have lying around, a cricri+ I had for some time and the really great sounding NECO V3(.1), this one is several steps above the others probably compared to your leckerton since this on standard also comes with op8610 just like Neco (Neco is one op amp per channel)

The difference in sound signature from line out to heaphone out is clearly noticed

Maybe this is related to how sony handles the s-master mx section, amplifying directly in the digital domain thus avoiding a dedicated dac circuit altogether. Not sure if the sony line out bypasses the digital domain amp, probably not since it´s circuit dependant but anyway line out on the sony´s does sound too much dry and thin (at least to my ears)

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #945 of 2,024
Change of mood.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back