Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #916 of 2,024
Quote:
Many thanks, never know about this shop, bookmarked !
I love the bass from the T51 with the IE-80 and the tape mod, just the right amount for me, do you think I will miss that, if you have to keep only one DAP which one you will choice in a sound perspective only?
I'm also waiting for the long coming X3 from Fiio but I want a new DAP before Christmas
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't know what to do, please help me Turokrocks
normal_smile .gif

Anyway many thanks !

As I said SQ wise the F is better (to be honest , in every other department the F is better...
ksc75smile.gif
), as in more refined and better presentation, and you should also look in the Z series.
If you have the funds go for it, or wait for the Fiio X3.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #917 of 2,024
So I had a few chances to audition the F, and Z, and think this thread has been very informative in outlining the slight differences between both devices, that is, sonically. Hence, the account below might be mere repetition... - I think I can now understand why someone alluded to the sound signature differences as being quite substantial relative to the  actual technical competence of both. Though that was in reference to the F, and X, I think it's also the case with the F, and Z.

What was quickly apparent to me was the better treble extension on the F which provides a slightly more heightened sense of space. It's treble resolution seemed better, and micro detailing was  a tad more perceptible to hear than in the Z.  The overall sound feels light and cleaner than the Z, but I still  don't quite hear the Z as lacking in details or clarity. It is just a thicker (richer),  warmer, and slightly darker sound by comparison.  The soundstage on both  seem to be the same, with slight edge to the F in overall size, but I think it's just that the inherent richness of the Z  gives the impression that details are being projected from a slightly closer range. With my IEMs the Z seemed more intimate.

I preferred the bass on the Z. The F's bass still seem to be a tad tighter, but on a whole. I'd say the Z sounds more authoritative and may have the better bass extension. It has, in my opinion a more tuneful bass that provides a good foundation to the music. To be frank,  the F's bass is already sufficient and good enough for me, but I enjoyed the more weighty, and robust low end of the Z. Consequentially, I think vocals, particularly that of males, have more chest/heft on the Z., which I like, whilst the F comes across as a tad more articulate, and perhaps purer. 

Overall, I found the Z to be more engaging. To my ears it ostensibly has the more coherent sound. The details it presents are more woven into the music, so it has a certain unity to it's presentation. When juxtaposed with the Z, the F came across as more analytical to me. Thus, as has been reiterated throughout the thread it really is a case of which sound presentation you prefer. My bias for coherency, bass, and subtlety in detail projection are the grounds for my preference for the Z. I just wish the Z was similar in size to the F or X. ...These impressions were taken with a Sennheiser IE8, in a noisy (ideal)  environment!

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #918 of 2,024
Quote:

As I said SQ wise the F is better (to be honest , in every other department the F is better...
ksc75smile.gif
), as in more refined and better presentation, and you should also look in the Z series.
If you have the funds go for it, or wait for the Fiio X3.

Sounds good, very good to me and I'm thinking the F will match very well the IE80, at all I have only to remove the tape mode and add more bass.

Many thanks for your usefull feedback, I'm at one click to order it
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #919 of 2,024
So I had a few chances to audition the F, and Z, and think this thread has been very informative in outlining the slight differences between both devices, that is, sonically. Hence, the account below might be mere repetition... - I think I can now understand why someone alluded to the sound signature differences as being quite substantial relative to the  actual technical competence of both. Though that was in reference to the F, and X, I think it's also the case with the F, and Z.
What was quickly apparent to me was the better treble extension on the F which provides a slightly more heightened sense of space. It's treble resolution seemed better, and micro detailing was  a tad more perceptible to hear than in the Z.  The overall sound feels light and cleaner than the Z, but I still  don't quite hear the Z as lacking in details or clarity. It is just a thicker (richer),  warmer, and slightly darker sound by comparison.  The soundstage on both  seem to be the same, with slight edge to the F in overall size, but I think it's just that the inherent richness of the Z  gives the impression that details are being projected from a slightly closer range. With my IEMs the Z seemed more intimate.
 I preferred the bass on the Z. The F's bass still seem to be a tad tighter, but on a whole. I'd say the Z sounds more authoritative and may have the better bass extension. It has, in my opinion a more tuneful bass that provides a good foundation to the music. To be frank,  the F's bass is already sufficient and good enough for me, but I enjoyed the more weighty, and robust low end of the Z. Consequentially, I think vocals, particularly that of males, have more chest/heft on the Z., which I like, whilst the F comes across as a tad more articulate, and perhaps purer. 
Overall, I found the Z to be more engaging. To my ears it ostensibly has the more coherent sound. The details it presents are more woven into the music, so it has a certain unity to it's presentation. When juxtaposed with the Z, the F came across as more analytical to me. Thus, as has been reiterated throughout the thread it really is a case of which sound presentation you prefer. My bias for coherency, bass, and subtlety in detail projection are the grounds for my preference for the Z. I just wish the Z was similar in size to the F or X. ...These impressions were taken with a Sennheiser IE8, in a noisy (ideal)  environment!

It could be one the the best comparisons I read between the two, spot on. I just could not let go my Z (Although I have a great chance to replace it with an A with 64GB), as I still find it more relaxed , and more fun.

So did you buy the Z?

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #920 of 2,024
Sounds good, very good to me and I'm thinking the F will match very well the IE80, at all I have only to remove the tape mode and add more bass.

Many thanks for your usefull feedback, I'm at one click to order it :L3000:

Please read the above comparison, just in case...

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #921 of 2,024
Quote:

Ba voila, as we say in French, now I don't know what do to
redface.gif
I will read more before doing my choice between the Z and F
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #922 of 2,024
It could be one the the best comparisons I read between the two, spot on. I just could not let go my Z (Although I have a great chance to replace it with an A with 64GB), as I still find it more relaxed , and more fun.
So did you buy the Z?

Actually, I think you, purk, cn11, and few others were pretty much spot on with your descriptions of the player. Sony only released the 16GB in Taiwan. If am gonna buy the Z, I'll need more storage capability tconsidering that it has the potential of playing FLAC. I might be going to Hong Kong or Japan within 2 weeks and will buy the player then.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #923 of 2,024
Actually, I think you, purk, cn11, and few others were pretty much spot on with your descriptions of the player. Sony only released the 16GB in Taiwan. If am gonna buy the Z, I'll need more storage capability tconsidering that it has the potential of playing FLAC. I might be going to Hong Kong or Japan within 2 weeks and will buy the player then.

Go for 64gb, and don't look back.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #924 of 2,024
... Haha, I look forward to doing that!

Isn't CES just around the corner? Anyone has any clue whether Sony has any plans for its line up around that time?

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #925 of 2,024
@ Honeyboy,

Thanks for your impression.  It is spot on with what I'm hearing.  I won't sell the Z either but I prefer F due to the tonality, resolving power, and its size.  

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #926 of 2,024
Quote:

Honeyboy--

Absolutely awesome and informative comparison. Nice to see you around again. I've linked your A/B review on the first page, hope you don't mind.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #927 of 2,024
Honeyboy--

Absolutely awesome and informative comparison. Nice to see you around again. I've linked your A/B review on the first page, hope you don't mind.

No worries man, nice to see you're still around. I see you've moved on to greener pastures IEMs-wise. Am still with the trusty IE8 from back when they were FOTM. Time for upgrades!

@ Honeyboy,

Thanks for your impression.  It is spot on with what I'm hearing.  I won't sell the Z either but I prefer F due to the tonality, resolving power, and its size.  

I can certainly understand your rationale. Talking about tonality, I was thinking that I might prefer the F in the long run. Could be a grower. Relative to the Z, it's more accurate.It complemented the IE8's dark, and warm profile better, but the Z kind ah makes me wanna dance more...could have gone either way, but I like to dance...

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #929 of 2,024
Quote:
No worries man, nice to see you're still around. I see you've moved on to greener pastures IEMs-wise. Am still with the trusty IE8 from back when they were FOTM. Time for upgrades!
I can certainly understand your rationale. Talking about tonality, I was thinking that I might prefer the F in the long run. Could be a grower. Relative to the Z, it's more accurate.It complemented the IE8's dark, and warm profile better, but the Z kind ah makes me wanna dance more...could have gone either way, but I like to dance...

There's nothing wrong with the IE8's, that's for sure! My wife loves our pair, and has used them many times on trips. I agree that the F806 really complements the IE8's well... I've used my old pair several times out of the F. The bassy nature of the IE8's also means you wouldn't have to use any sort of low end enhancement at all, and the tauter bass of the F may even clean up the low end of the Senns somewhat.

I've certainly been through a few different IEM's since the Senns though. The Fitears are really amazing with the F806, and makes for a nice combination for sure. The sound is so good from that simple rig that I'm not using my portable amps much at all lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back