Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #781 of 2,024
Just got my F807 and currently transferring songs... and I got a few questions already lol...

1. how to disable speakers? the speakers are kinda annoying to me lol...
2. cover.jpg doesnt work.. so what software do you guys use for embedding album art?
3. any suggested resolution? i noticed that 300x300 is abit small for album art.
thanks!

1. Disable the speakers, in what sense? Mute the device entirely, so that you don't hear the 'clicks' or notifications or music from the speakers? The only way to do that right now is to set Master volume to zero. If you just mean you want to turn off all the clicking and beeping from the system, I suggest downloading Audio Manager from Google Play. Simply set 'System' to zero, or reduce its volume if you prefer.

2. Why would any one use Cover.jpg? I always embed my album art into the files by MP3tag - an excellent tag editor with support for nearly anything.

3. 500x500, 640x640, sizes like that are usually universally acceptable for most screens and applications. However, I find Poweramp's sweet spot to be around 600x600 or 640x640, any lower than 500x500 tends to look visibly blurry and anything extremely large (1000x1000 and beyond) tends to show aliasing due to the resizing algorithm in place. The default Sony player however seems to just be bad with album art altogether, and all my album-art looks blurry. Of course, if you have a retina device such as an iPod or iPad, having huge album art is a major boon.

Speaking of which, I tried using the volume rocker whilst the Walkman was locked again, with Poweramp. It works! However it does have different behavior from normal Android devices as you must press the rocker each time to move a step down the Master volume setting, and holding on the button does not work. But otherwise, the volume rocker does work when the device is locked.

Does anyone know how to put videos into it. Although I have mostly music in it, sometime I'd like to watch videos when I'm not in an area where there is wifi etc.

As you would with music. Just drag-and-drop into a folder will do, or use syncing software. The easiest way would be to connect it via USB, open it in Windows Explorer and drop your files in.
If you are referring to format support, I believe it supports the usual .MP4, .3GP and .AVI, but .AVI support might be limited, especially with DivX. I recommend using MP4 in 720p or 1080p resolutions, at bit rates of less than 17Mbps. In general, videos off YouTube will work for example. Handbrake is a good encoder.
Here are Sony's official specifications for its video support:
AVC(H.264/AVC) Video Profile: Baseline Profile / Level: 3, 3.1 / Bit rate: Up to 18 Mbps
MPEG-4 Video Profile: Simple Profile / Advanced Simple Profile / Bit rate: Up to 10 Mbps
Windows Media Video 9 Media File format: ASF file format / Bit rate: Up to 20 Mbps
AAC-LC Video Channel number: Up to 2 ch / Sampling frequencies: 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz / Bit rate: Up to 288kbps / channel
WMA (for Windows Media Video 9) Bit rate: 32 to 192kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)) / Sampling frequency : 44.1kHz
If you want to expand its format support, try MX Player, which has an excellent array of decoding, acceleration and format support features. Note that the Tegra 2 powered F800 requires the ARMv7 codec for MX Player as well.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #783 of 2,024
Quote:
Haha, I also have some trouble with my hearing this week...three days of listening to my new bass heavy headphones did that.

beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #784 of 2,024
@dyaems, welcome to my world. The bass is much clearer in the right.

Quote " im hearing more volume in my right ear for some reason again, and i dont even listen at really loud volumes anymore. need to rest my ears for a week again i guess."

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #786 of 2,024
following turok footsteps..... [snip!!]

Nice :). But I don't know if you wanna post photos of ppl's addresses publicly in the gallery :wink:. Hehehe...

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #787 of 2,024
Happy but most importantly, keep the volume down people.  You are hearing is the most important tool in this hobby.  Thanks god for custom IEMs, the listening fatigue is quite less than the full size phones.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #789 of 2,024
Nov 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #790 of 2,024
Hi, I'm considering purchasing one of these, but had some questions.

1) Would you say the F series has more power, less power, or the same, for driving headphones compared to the Sansa clip+?

2) Is the SQ noticeably better than the clip+ or the Sony NWZE345?

3) Some of the posts said the F series had less bass - how does it compare to a Sansa Clip+? I'm not a bass head, but was just wondering for comparison sake.

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #792 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi guys!
Can anybody help me with the information about differences between Japanese and European versions of Sony F-800?

I'm not sure if that they will sound the same.  I once compared three regions of Sony A-Walkman:  European A867 (AdvancedMP3), A865 (Sony Style USA), and A867JPN/Asia.  With volume matched, the Euro A walkman did sound inferior compared to US & Asian units.  It is harsher and less refined with more treble tilted compared to the others two units.  The volume is also more quiet at the same volume setting (approx 5 steps more quiet).  I'm not sure if these results will hold true to the F walkman.  Personally, I'll try to get my hand on the US or Jap versions.  You can even contact alexlow as he may be able to help with the purchase.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #793 of 2,024
I have a question for the folks who own one of these.  Does the GPS work without wi-fi?  Or is it one of the assisted type.  I havent been able to find any info on this at all.  I am on the fence and think may be the deciding factor which pulls me away from the ipod touch dark side.  I remember when apple was cool!

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #794 of 2,024
Quote:
I have a question for the folks who own one of these.  Does the GPS work without wi-fi?  Or is it one of the assisted type.  I havent been able to find any info on this at all.  I am on the fence and think may be the deciding factor which pulls me away from the ipod touch dark side.  I remember when apple was cool!

No it won't, but if you have a map saved for an offline usage, it will work albeit very limited.  I personally use "Copilot Live" offline GPS with great results.  It is a paid app, but well worth the money if it is available in your region.  

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #795 of 2,024
Quote:
@dyaems, welcome to my world. The bass is much clearer in the right.
Quote " im hearing more volume in my right ear for some reason again, and i dont even listen at really loud volumes anymore. need to rest my ears for a week again i guess."

you have balance issues too bro? =(

i gave it a listen before i sleep yesterday and i suddenly woke up because the sound coming from the iems (stock and ex800st) are dead center haha... when i went out earlier to commute and reporting  to work, the balance goes to the right =(

--------------

i want a luxa2 stand as well but shipping it to our country costs almost the same price of the luxa2 stand =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back