Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #571 of 2,024
thks for your suggestion, but I think the sound from the mp3 320 kbps converted from flac is almost the same as the flac itself, isn't it?

It also depends on whether your MP3 is low-passed. A lot of people these days have a lowpass of like 20 or even 18kHz on their 320K MP3s and that is a lot of loss.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #572 of 2,024
Thanks for the reply back ok-guy, i really appreciate it. I'm desperate to buy the gun metal walkman so if alex is able to get some more of them in by the end of november i am willing to wait and buy one same time as you. I did set aside some money to purchase the walkman, but i guess i could use the money for my train tickets lol. I'm a student working for the NHS. Anyway pm to let me know what he says with regards to getting more gun metal walkmans.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #574 of 2,024
Quote:
Never owned single android-based devices so I am pretty clueless. Anyone know how to conserve battery? I went to settings and stopped most apps that were running in the background. 

disconnect wi-fi & bluetooth.. then put in 'airplane' mode.

also when you're not using it 'power-off'... otherwise it's in stand-by mode using battery.

lastly, if you pull headphone out to talk to someone, it should go into 'stand-by' mode (saves fiddling about turning it off etc).

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #575 of 2,024
Quote:

It hisses at any circumstances. Whether I am playing music or not. Not a huge deal-breaker for me since I used to pair X series with CK100.

Thanks for hooking me up Alex. Sadly I don't think I can afford to buy the 64gb due to tight budget being a student. Hope it didn't cause any problems.

Interesting. Do you have the NW-Z series? Does it hiss with that too? I've got the TG!334.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #576 of 2,024
sayonara mp3
gs1000.gif
 btw gang.. i posted out all your f series today, check your pm box

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #577 of 2,024
Quote:

disconnect wi-fi & bluetooth.. then put in 'airplane' mode.

also when you're not using it 'power-off'... otherwise it's in stand-by mode using battery.

lastly, if you pull headphone out to talk to someone, it should go into 'stand-by' mode (saves fiddling about turning it off etc).

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Interesting. Do you have the NW-Z series? Does it hiss with that too? I've got the TG!334.

Unfortunately I never tried the Z series, just the F and it hisses quite a bit. But it seems that cn11 doesn't hear hiss at all with his TG!334. Maybe US version doesn't hiss as much.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #579 of 2,024
Quote:
@alex,
can you tell me the EQ diff of Z and F series?
since you said the SQ is quite the same, i was wondering about the EQ? which is better?

also, can the Z series upgrade android to 4.0?

I found the Z to have more punch in the bass and a little bit more powerful and warmer sounding than the F.  The F sounds flatter and more neutral with more details.  Soundstage is better on the F.  The difference are not drastic but it is there.  Tested with my JH13pro playing Flac on my F807 and Atrac Lossless on my Z1070.  Operation wise, the F walkman is more responsive & quicker.  We can thank ICS for that.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #580 of 2,024
Quote:
I found the Z to have more punch in the bass and a little bit more powerful and warmer sounding than the F.  The F sounds flatter and more neutral with more details.  Soundstage is better on the F.  The difference are not drastic but it is there.  Tested with my JH13pro playing Flac on my F807 and Atrac Lossless on my Z1070.  Operation wise, the F walkman is more responsive & quicker.  We can thank ICS for that.

if only the Z could play flac natively.... then  decision wont be harder Lol.

las ques, can the Z upgrade to android 4.0? and which interface is better in you opinion?

anyways, thanks for helping me out.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #581 of 2,024
Quote:

+1...
L3000.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #582 of 2,024
Quote:

like what purk describe, warmer sound would be X > Z > F, clarity wise would be the other way around.
all are from sony, same s master mx amp so on, won't say which is better but rather which you prefer.
personally, anything with a chip on it i would go for the latest otherwise i'll go for the classic.
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #583 of 2,024
Quote:
if only the Z could play flac natively.... then  decision wont be harder Lol.

las ques, can the Z upgrade to android 4.0? and which interface is better in you opinion?

anyways, thanks for helping me out.

They said the Z will get the ICS upgrade toward the end of the year.  Don't quote me on it.  The F walkman operation is much better than the Z.  Faster with no lag.

Quote:

+1...
L3000.gif

Some one is rocking all his portables.  We all have to be jealous of Turok's collections.

Quote:

like what purk describe, warmer sound would be X > Z > F, clarity wise would be the other way around.
all are from sony, same s master mx amp so on, won't say which is better but rather which you prefer.
personally, anything with a chip on it i would go for the latest otherwise i'll go for the classic.
beerchug.gif

Yup.  Totally agree.  We all have to thank you for helping us getting the F walkman for a very reasonable price.  Yep, the clarity on the F is pretty superb.  I still think the A, F, and Z are on the same level soundwise.  Preference is the key here.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #584 of 2,024
Quote:

I get very little hiss with my 4.Ai's with the WM-Z normally with older or poorly produced CD's (all my music is uploaded from CD into Atrac-Lossless)... if someone could quantify the 'hiss' question with the WM-F that would be great... I don't mean 'mic-air' that you get with certain recordings that disappears when the music starts, I'm talking about hiss over the music... I trying to figure if it is just with certain sensitive IEM/CEIM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back