SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,162 of 7,541
  What would be the best/highest quality format to convert SACD ripped .dsf files to be played back on the A15? WAV, PCM?

i use a toold (cracked) and set of commandlines to convert SACD isos to 24/88.2Khz flac. I think is called SacdIso2EmFLAC something like that

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #5,163 of 7,541
It looks like I can achieve 24/88.2 using foobar, although when it converts it says major errors. I'll keep that program you suggested in mind if I can't get foobar to behave.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #5,164 of 7,541
It looks like I can achieve 24/88.2 using foobar, although when it converts it says major errors. I'll keep that program you suggested in mind if I can't get foobar to behave.

This maybe redundant information, but I have a Alien Shozy DAP as well as a Hippo Biscuit, and I needed to use Winamp for the Biscuit and Foobar for the Shozy when doing file conversions (wav or flac). Both software were doing things differently, and one was more successful in one way or another to the other, depending upon which DAP i was using lol.

I *think* some of the problems came from the metadata transfers, in foobar unticking 'transfer album art' (or what not) resulted in a better conversion (with less errors), so you might want to consider this in your various rips/conversions, just try to convert without it trying any harder than it should, you can add metadata afterwards via 3rd party software.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5,165 of 7,541
Thanks for your 2 cents. I haven't listened to the 'major error ' files yet to check if they sound ok. When I got my A15 I re-ripped all my cds to flac with foobar and had minor errors for most of them. I was so keen to get everything ripped that I couldn't be bothered to see why I was getting errors. That was a few months ago and I have not noticed any audible errors, I'll try unticking that box though.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #5,166 of 7,541
Well it was interesting in that files that I converted successfully without any errors of any kind using foobar (mp3>flac, or wav>flac) resulted in a second long loud static burst after every track finished when being played back on the small Hippo Biscuit+ DAP. Whereas like you I have encountered small errors on file conversion with foobar and could not detect anything audibly wrong on playback on the Shozy. Minor errors might even be metadata related, I dunno as I was using screenless DAPs and never took too much notice of the metadata after conversion.

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,167 of 7,541

don't know if this forum lets sending a zip file, that program is a zipped file with various .bat (batch) files and has foobar portable to do some stuff ont e sacd isos and then uses a program that must be downloaded ad cracked (weiss engineering saracon or sacaron soemthing like that) that handles the 1-bit to multi-bit conversion

for me it takes on a modern sony VAIO with intel core i5 4th gen arround 35 mins, on older pcs a dell with core 2 duo took 1.5 hours

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,168 of 7,541
 those idiots of the audio industry want you to buy the SACD at premium price, and at the same time make sure that you will have the hardest of time putting the music on whatever device you want. those guys must all be over 90 to imagine this is a legit business and the only way we will want to listen to music is by pushing the SACD into the toaster @home.
you buy a mp3 on amazon or whatever, you copy it wherever you like. and if you lose it all, just download it again for free! it's cheap works everywhere and doesn't sound bad.
now buy a SACD for a lot more money, after a few years you won't be able to read some of them because it's been like that since the first CD. at which point the music industry advises you to go F yourself an buy a new copy.

the actual resolution is still about the same as highres PCM(because the high frequency noises must be filtered out) and was usually done from highres PCM anyway, but hush don't tell anybody.

and with all this, the SACD never took off in the sales? wow now that's a surprise.
don't buy SACD, don't buy anything with some crap DRM system, else they will never stop doing it?

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,169 of 7,541

the actual resolution is still about the same as highres PCM(because the high frequency noises must be filtered out) and was usually done from highres PCM anyway, but hush don't tell anybody.

If that is the case how can I trust the DSD download sites? They may very well be converted from hi-rez files right?
So I wonder why the high-end DAC's are boasting about native DSD support? Who is buying DSD files online  and why??

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #5,170 of 7,541
Yesterday I downloaded one of my favourite albums from HD Tracks. This was my first 24/192 experience - it sounds awesome - more detail, clarity, texture etc. Because the albums I would like aren't available yet, I thought sourcing the SACDs might suffice. I acquired the .dsf files from one yesterday to test before forking out for them. Probably better to save the money for when they are eventually released.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #5,171 of 7,541
Yesterday I downloaded one of my favourite albums from HD Tracks. This was my first 24/192 experience - it sounds awesome - more detail, clarity, texture etc. Because the albums I would like aren't available yet, I thought sourcing the SACDs might suffice. I acquired the .dsf files from one yesterday to test before forking out for them. Probably better to save the money for when they are eventually released.

this kid SONY NWZ A10 plays? HD Tracks?

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #5,173 of 7,541
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #5,174 of 7,541
Hello all,

I bought a NWZ A-16 two months ago to replace a series of Sansa Clip +s who had all developped headphone jack problems when used with a Sennheiser HD-25.

I'm worried that the Sony player might be headed the same way as moving the headphone cable is now producing noise (it did not do so at the beginning).

Has anyone here encountered the same issue ? Is my HD-25 a DAP-eating monster ?

Help ! 

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #5,175 of 7,541
Hello all,

I bought a NWZ A-16 two months ago to replace a series of Sansa Clip +s who had all developped headphone jack problems when used with a Sennheiser HD-25.

I'm worried that the Sony player might be headed the same way as moving the headphone cable is now producing noise (it did not do so at the beginning).

Has anyone here encountered the same issue ? Is my HD-25 a DAP-eating monster ?

Help ! 

It's most likely the way you're storing the player whilst the headphones are plugged in. Inside your Sony Walkman the headphone out jack is merely soldered onto the circuit board, possibly with little reinforcement. It's not some magic hole that takes copious amounts of strain for example, putting the player in your pocket whilst the headphones are plugged in.

Your Sansa did it - now your Walkman is doing it.

I wonder where the problem lies...

If your HD25 have a straight jack it may be worth changing the cable out to a right angle connection, this would also eliminate any possibility of the jack being at fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back