SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 25, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,871 of 7,541

Have you checked to see what size jpegs you've used for album art?  Maybe some are too big for the sony so it's having a hard time loading the screen cover.

Cover size should not exceed 1000x1000, otherwise it won't display.
Also if you had your tracks in itunes before your tracks will have the covers in 3 sizes attached (itunes automatically creates covers in 200x200 and 75x75).
I had to clean most of my tags from these autocreated cover sizes, then displaying the remaining cover is no issue on the A17 (as long it does not exceed 1000x1000).
Piece of cake doing this with MediaMonkey. itunes is really the most crappy piece of software mankind has ever seen! The day uninstalled this s**t was a very happy one!

I split my 16/44.1 flac wth cue splitter, tag them with dbpwoer tage ditor or mp3tag and add covers only with mp3tag, do cover resizing in photoshop

Max size of my covers in terms of KB is 220KB

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #3,872 of 7,541
  Cover size should not exceed 1000x1000, otherwise it won't display.
Also if you had your tracks in itunes before your tracks will have the covers in 3 sizes attached (itunes automatically creates covers in 200x200 and 75x75).
I had to clean most of my tags from these autocreated cover sizes, then displaying the remaining cover is no issue on the A17 (as long it does not exceed 1000x1000).
Piece of cake doing this with MediaMonkey. itunes is really the most crappy piece of software mankind has ever seen! The day uninstalled this s**t was a very happy one!

Thanks for the info.
In the case I mentioned before my covers exceeded 1000x1000px and were still displayed, but they caused a lag when a track would start. Also when I'd access the folder in which the related tracks were stored, the cover wouldn't appear immediately but I'd get the "loading" image for 1-2 seconds. 
As for Itunes, I've never used it.

All my covers are either 600x600 , 700x700 or 750x750

And you haven't noticed any lag compared to when there are no covers at all? 

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #3,873 of 7,541

it's a rule in europe so not having a limit only means the DAP got in through a strange way, or they use some loophole in the rule like "no headphone so you don't know how loud it is", or simply because the DAP is already "weak" enough to pass the EU max output limit. it's not a sony thing, it's a euro thing. but in audio people would rather repeat stuff they read than think about it.
now if you can get a non EU sony or iphone or whatever, for the same price, I urge you to do it! because hey, why not get the one that can do more? it a very obvious choice to make.
but if you go and end up paying 100€ more at customs for a 3clicks louder daps, you can get how it's not an amazingly clever move anymore.

anyway if you need something that goes loud for a fullsize headphone and don't plan to use an amp, don't buy a sony. that is the very obvious move that can suffer no contest.

I am actually looking something that :
1. has extended battery life and since I am travelling a lot and I don't want to recharge every 10 hours of playtime.  
2. is accepting microSD card
3. is easy to upload music to (without the need of itunes etc.)
4. has -at least- a decent volume level. (being inside an aeroplane and struggling to hear the music is not acceptable by any means) 
5. its not crazy expensive
6. its an upgrade -from a sound quality point of view- from my 50 Euro Sandisk or my iPhone (that I am not wishing to use as a music player)
7. It has compact size (and to carry an amp while travelling is not a compact solution) 

Let me mention here that I don't have any interest on watching videos through an mp3 player. I just want the music. Therefore, big, high quality touch screens, are just waste of money for my needs. 

Based on the above, I was under the impression that Sony A15 was a good choise... 
However, since I haven't completely made up my mind yet, I am still open to counterproposals (or confirmations that the A15 is the best or one of the best options) 
In other words, Dear friends please HELP! 

PS> I am using Marshall Major (or just the simple iPhone5 earbuds)

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,875 of 7,541
Can someone compare the bass quality and quantity between x1 and a10??
My fiio x1 is a tad bit warm vs clip+.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,876 of 7,541
I don't think there's any competition today to the a10 series. Strange though...

Below there are tons of portable devices, non of them support HD format,

Above there are more dedicated devices, non of them truly portable as the a10, non have FM radio, non support bluetooth connectivity, and no battery even comes close to the a10.

I do think I might add an AK100II some day, but for sure it won't come instead of the Sony or become my portable to-go solution.

Twice since I got it I was sure I lost it, ran back to my car to see if it's on the dashboard or elsewhere, twice I found it at the same embarrassing place - my jeans front pocket, the same one I was wearing while running to my car....Now that's what I call portable! Clearly this could not happen with an X5, X90 or any other of today's smartphones....

Very happy with my purchase.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #3,877 of 7,541
Mar 26, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,878 of 7,541
1. has extended battery life and since I am travelling a lot and I don't want to recharge every 10 hours of playtime.  
4. has -at least- a decent volume level. (being inside an aeroplane and struggling to hear the music is not acceptable by any means) 
6. its an upgrade -from a sound quality point of view- from my 50 Euro Sandisk or my iPhone (that I am not wishing to use as a music player)
7. It has compact size (and to carry an amp while travelling is not a compact solution) 

Let me mention here that I don't have any interest on watching videos through an mp3 player. I just want the music. Therefore, big, high quality touch screens, are just waste of money for my needs. 

Based on the above, I was under the impression that Sony A15 was a good choise... 
However, since I haven't completely made up my mind yet, I am still open to counterproposals (or confirmations that the A15 is the best or one of the best options) 

sony A15/17 is what you are looking for
1) 42h with flac 44.1
2)i use 128GB microSD with my a17
3)I some times use drag n drop, other i have used MusicBee and now i use mediagO
4)it has nice volume level, vol. 10 is equivalent to vol. 12 in my older walkmans
5)costed me well in mexico stuff is more expensive so 399 use, but in usa is 299 USD
6)coming from a if x3, this a17 is the most resolving player i ever heard on my life, i also had an ipod classic and it trumps it out of the water by kilometers , this a17 makes the 16/44.1 format shine at it's best
7)yeah very compact thing

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,880 of 7,541

I really enjoy my A17 but maybe you might benefit more from a headphone upgrade- though A10 series definitely hits your marks for great battery life and improved SQ. (I don't consider myself an audiophile but for SQ I do prefer A17 to my Zip, but only in head to head comparison- in extended use the Zip doesn't bother me at all. IDK about iPhone but a lot of people around these parts use them as their portable player, though often paired with external stuff.)

If your Sandisk player is a Clip + or Zip you probably already get higher volume than the walkman- for the airplane stuff, something with better isolation maybe- perusing reviews it looks like your Marshalls have decent isolation, but sealed in-ears would be better than the apple buds- though I sometimes get discomforted from the pressure changes and the dry air, and usually would rather not listen at all).

It's a bit of a risk but you can also get the up to 64 gig cards working on a rockboxed Clip Zip with a special formatting tool - at least I had luck with that method.

Not to discourage you from joining the cult of the A10, I think most people here agree its a good player, just something to consider along with since headphones always offers the biggest improvement in my experience. Other options for improved volume/amp/microSD might be Fiio X1 and some Cowon players, though reportedly suboptimal UI (the walkman has great UI)- for battery life I don't think much can compare to A10 (unless you want to carry 5 or 6 clips around
tongue.gif
).

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #3,881 of 7,541

+1 to Raketen
You'd benefit more by upgrading your IEM

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #3,882 of 7,541
Mar 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,883 of 7,541
Prefer iTunes to Media Monkey (edit x 1000000) which is a 'POS' which theyve got the nerve to charge for. Constanly crashes and just keeps duplicating files. Glad ill never have to see its ugly face again. Drag and drop from iTunes or use Media Go

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,884 of 7,541
Prefer iTunes to Media Monkey (edit x 1000000) which is a 'POS' which theyve got the nerve to charge for. Constanly crashes and just keeps duplicating files. Glad ill never have to see its ugly face again. Drag and drop from iTunes or use Media Go

I like MusicBee too, is fast at scanning, it has never crashed on me, the only quick if you open it and your external HD is not available it wiped the library XML file haha, you can customize it so to speak i can add a Composer List, i can sort albums by artist/composer to avoid albums with same name being group in "Various Artists" or in the same artist, i can also set how i want the files to be transferred f.e MUSIC\[Composer]\{album}\{track #} - {title}

media go is not customizable but is also fast when BROWSING your files... when creating library yep is slow, namely creating sense data... transferring to the walkman is blazing fast if you select to transfer files as is (e.g not converting to a lossy codec)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back