SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,937 of 7,541
  I asked which version sounds better? Japanese or European?

They say the international version and the japanese, because the Euro-unit has a crappy volume-limit, thus hindering the sound quality, I read on a previus post about it that the european walkman underperformed the international & japanese versions

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,938 of 7,541
I noticed my a17 will create library again when it's been off for a few days. It hasn't been hooked up to anything. Is this normal? It's happened twice.

Anyone know if otg support is possible for a17? I have a flash usb stick running off my Fiio x5 and wonder if same can be done for a17.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,939 of 7,541

Yes, saw the resulting flacs in 176.4KHz... beyond 35KHZ.... dead silence... infacct the uselful information stopped at 23KHz... the rest seems like a ppurple cloud in spek spectrum anayizer..... i think thats ultrasound

Futher testing and comparing to another version of those Handel concerti grossi Op. 6 (the sacd was BIS records) the CDs i have are DG.... turns out the sacds sound almost the same as the deutsche grammophone recording with Trevor Pinnock & the English Concert in the 1980's

threw them away and kept my DG CDs lol... clearly Bis records applied a massive brickwall filter at 23KHz 

You are confusing frequency response to oversampling. Yes, music stops around 22kHz frequency wise because that's generally accepted as being more than enough due to human hearing range, however it doesn't in any way tell you anything about oversampling. Those are two very different concept. Oversampling is about, well, oversampling the frequency in order to push the sampling noise way higher than what the normal 44.1 / 48 sampling process will generate. Even with oversampling, the resulted frequency is still going to be lowpass filtered to 22kHz. Oversampling doesn't in anyway give you higher than 22kHz sound, but it gives you less sampling artifact. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Okay thanks for the info so DSEE HX on the walkman A10 does oversampling i think and extrapolation so hope it can fix these two CDs from a set of 4 Ton Koopman Dietrich Buxtehude Works for Harpsichord... the first two discs sound with soem kind of HF noise in some parts, and checking the spectrum they simply trimmed valuable infor form harpsichord harmonics  before 22.05Khz!

In contrast i bought at qobuz.fr -- french store for hi-res music and also normal CD music, i bought a set of 4 cds too but of Adam Reincken works for Harpsichord and Organ (they're 24/88) the harpsichord harmonics and so on extends to 37KHz well and it continues to 44KHz with no filtering, this makes the Harpsichord sound smooth, warm, clean non-fatiguing

I love the Koopmans rendition too a beuatiful selection of 6 instruments in 4 discs, but wish the firt two were equally good mastered as the last two discs, i think he uses a spinet, two clavichords and three harpsichords

Heres the reincken's spectrum (24/88) correct mastering

Heres the bad master of the buxtehude CD, hope the walkman DSEE HX can fix it with oversampling by smoothing out

DSEE semmed to make miracles with lowly MP3 files, why not with this chopped mastering
biggrin.gif
 so it  restores the lost  harmonics filtered or deliberately cut-off during mastering

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,940 of 7,541
I noticed my a17 will create library again when it's been off for a few days. It hasn't been hooked up to anything. Is this normal? It's happened twice.

Anyone know if otg support is possible for a17? I have a flash usb stick running off my Fiio x5 and wonder if same can be done for a17.

In normal power off, the A10 only goes into sleep mode instead of a true power off (hence it turns on instantly). But after a set amount of time, it will truly shutdown to save battery and that's why it needs to rebuild the library when turns on again. In other words, yes, it is perfectly normal.

No, there is no OTG support for external memory. Only limited OTG supports for USB DAC.

In contrast i bought at qobuz.fr -- french store for hi-res music and also normal CD music, i bought a set of 4 cds too but of Adam Reincken works for Harpsichord and Organ (they're 24/88) the harpsichord harmonics and so on extends to 37KHz well and it continues to 44KHz with no filtering, this makes the Harpsichord sound smooth, warm, clean non-fatiguing

Lowpass filter is either in or just after the DAC (depends on whether it is a digital or analog filter).  Looking at the digital files themselves don't really reveal anything that reaches your ears.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,941 of 7,541

Yes, that is normal. The player shuts down after 24h without use and will rebuild the library at power up.

No OTG support.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,942 of 7,541

Yep, normal, let's say when you press and hold the Option/PWROff button it goes to "sleep/hibernation" (stand by) but if 24 hours pass and nothing has benn done with it, it goes to complete power off

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,944 of 7,541

So speaking of the Oppo HA-2 you cannot use the Oppos female A-connector with the sony standard WM-Port cable that is included in the box, so you must use a micro B?

No, that USB A connector on the HA-2 is only for digital input from Apple iDevices.

Updated to provide more descriptive annotations.

I have 4 USB cables, two of them are orphan, the other two still have their device

I assume the fiio x3 nd the alcatel onetouch cellphone are micro USB type B

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,945 of 7,541
  how do these sound (direct headphne out) in comparison to older sony players?  particularly s739.  i don't care about hi-res.

More refined (finer-grained), cleaner, and better defined soundstaging and imaging, all of which extends to even the FM radio. The difference is clear even if you don't listen to hi-res.

S- and A-series have always exhibited an audible difference, and I think the A10 improves on all previous A models.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,946 of 7,541
After wanting it since September I finally got myself the A-10...I originally wanted A17 but settled for A15 silver as this one came with free New Year gifts in Jaben Malaysia.

I hd no sufficient time to lead it with my music yet and give it a serious spin, I played the preinstalled music for a while and I really love what I heard. The sound is crisp clean, bass is very satisfying (I am a bashead) and hitd thing can go to unbearable loudness levels.

I do not know why some people whine that the build quality isnt good enough. I think for the price it is a very wll built DAP. It looks so sexy, polished and expensive (at least my silver one does, hehehe)...a case is a must though as I suspect it might scratch easily...I love the form factor, light and small but at the same time quite powerful with huge storage possibility after adding big SD cards...

For the price of A17 (hundred MYR to spare for SD card) i got the A15 and threw in new cans that were on my want list for some time - JVC HAS 660 - beAutiful lookings cans, quite bassy but with EQ I decreased and cleaned it a tad, brought the trebles up and this thing sings...it is so comfortable...plus it of nice quality - the jack is angled and the cable is really strong and thick, of sufficient length too..I do not see many reviews on it on this forum but for the price these are really good headphones...great bang for your buck...I am a newbie and should probably not recomment stuff yet to people but this thing wont break the bank and it is really a nice can...I notice JVC has great budget offerings that will give bigger players a run for their money in terms of build and sound quality.

I was lucky to get last of Christmas and New Year gifts with my purchases from Jaben Malaysia... I got a beautiful tellow case for my Hippo Buscuit Plus MP3 player and a pair of etymotic research IEMS (ETY K5) meant for kids and those who want to listen at safe volume levels. This IEM is priced 199 MYR. It came with those typical etymotic triple flange tips instaleds and 2 pairs of custom fit options (or whatever they call these blob like tips I never seen in my life before, hehe)...i gave it a try and wow, those tips seal perfectly and block 99 percent of background noise, man I can harly hear the bus engine or train coming...even though the voule is capped to safe levels with louder devices (eg my hippo buscuit plus), at maximum loudness these IEMS can be driven to decent loudness which is further enhanced as no other outside sound can be heard - just pure music bliss...these things sound amazingly good, nice bass, treble, mids - all out of the box...I think it got me hooked up to acquire etymotic reasearch IEMS that do not have capped volume...if the capped volume ones can sound so good, then how amazing would non capped volume sound like?!!!! I keeping these i I never thought music at normal levels can sound so good (love to blas it high) and also my ears will appreaciate the comfiness and safe volume...

Happy with my purchases and gifts...

Talking about getting hooked - before joining this site I had less than 4 headpones including stock ones that came with my sources...within few months of becoming a member here now the number of my headphones has climbed up to 15!!!! Granted most are mid entry (some entry level) stuff but when combined still amounts to a lot of money and greatly affected my wallet ..my wife wants to kill me!!!

Sorry for such a long post but I was just excited about it all...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!

Cheers

Jamal

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,947 of 7,541
do you know if sony still makes the Content transfer app for windows... the latest i saw for windows was the  1.3 and is listed as compatible with w8.1 x64, but doubt it would support flac transfer.

I know there's media go but, i don't like it
biggrin.gif
, i have MusicBee, and for testing this little bugger, i tranferred music to an USB flash drive and it always says ACCESS DENIED ERROR on C:\users\xxxx\roaming\musicbee. All my music is loaded from an external HDD

I know there's also drag n' drop but i remember the year tag displayed UNKNOWN if i transferred files to my older walkmans, don't know if this new A-series still exhibits this problem.

Well never mind, it's a bug from MusicBee, sorted out by selecting Send To > Folder (Copy) > Copy to Organised Folders
Thanks

Gerry

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #1,948 of 7,541
from my noob measurements with my laptop where I took an approximate readings in DB of some noise, and compared to the X1(where I already knew the output voltage), I ended up with about 0.37v and 0.24v for my euro version (HO and LO). ClieOS measured  ~0.4v and 0.245v.

I finally found the force, the modjo, and the shwartz to check everything(I was just too drunk for the bed to stop turning). and I ended up doing a lot of useless stuff and measured pretty much everything I could put my hand on like a crazy maniac. now I've eaten like 30chocolates to forget I was drunk.

I used 1.6v as reference for the X1's HO (I think I was using 1.5 last time so no big deal).
I end up with 0.32v max for the A15 HO euro version, and 0.23v for the LO. I measured 3.17ohm for the DAP. I guess I'm not too far off as I got 0.9ohm for the sansa clip and 2.26ohm for the X1 (and it seems like my 100ohm resistor is in fact more like 90.5ohm but you guys don't care about that).

so not a big change, it would be like 2db less than the 0.4v of ClieOS or something like that.

still I think that next time I have a doubt like that, I'll just buy a multimeter and both versions of the DAP instead of trying to remember some 20+years old math and electric lessons at 4am ^_^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back