SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,966 of 7,541
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about charging the unit. Been reading this thread for a while but didn't see a specific reference to this.

Is it possible to do this using the supplied cable and a 5v, 1amp charger from the likes of a mobile phone?

Been impressed with this so far... Took a while to find a worthy replacement for my aging HD3 and 5.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,968 of 7,541
  I'm a pure hardcore apple hater 4 life.

LOL Me too, i hTate apple.... i always had sony walkmans until now a Fiio x3 it sounded good, before this fiio i had an iPod class9ic given as a gift, i was like well no more teasing because i don't have an iDevice (yep i was teased in the uni nd even now at the work place for not having crapple).. but the sound quality of the iPod classic SUCKS ASS... worst of them all, even wrose than my old NW-E507 walkman Core.

I have now an iPhone 4s that my sister gave to me, I use it only for what is meant after the "i" as a phone
biggrin.gif
 no more, even as an emergency google f.e when i was at the USA and my dad asked how many Oz. to KG (Mexico uses international measurement unit system).

Yesterday tried some music on the iphone i had on my yet forgotten icloud... sounds ****ty, even with my XBA-H3
my aging HD3 and 5.

Those walkmans were nice, i think the cool one was the HD5, i wanted one but i settled with a Walkman Core 1GB

My walkman A17 arrives in approx two weeks, 4 days until bank authorizes purchase... until tomorrow they will check the order and process it (sunday is non-working day in mexico) and then they deliver it via Fedex another 4 to 5 days

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,969 of 7,541

LOL Me too, i hTate apple.... i always had sony walkmans until now a Fiio x3 it sounded good, before this fiio i had an iPod class9ic given as a gift, i was like well no more teasing because i don't have an iDevice (yep i was teased in the uni nd even now at the work place for not having crapple).. but the sound quality of the iPod classic SUCKS ASS... worst of them all, even wrose than my old NW-E507 walkman Core.

I have now an iPhone 4s that my sister gave to me, I use it only for what is meant after the "i" as a phone
biggrin.gif
 no more, even as an emergency google f.e when i was at the USA and my dad asked how many Oz. to KG (Mexico uses international measurement unit system).

Yesterday tried some music on the iphone i had on my yet forgotten icloud... sounds ****ty, even with my XBA-H3
Those walkmans were nice, i think the cool one was the HD5, i wanted one but i settled with a Walkman Core 1GB

My walkman A17 arrives in approx two weeks, 4 days until bank authorizes purchase... until tomorrow they will check the order and process it (sunday is non-working day in mexico) and then they deliver it via Fedex another 4 to 5 days

waiting your impressions of walkman A17 ... is it good sounding like the older walkmans or what ? i am interested in it as it has the original sony OS not an android player ... i had before F806 ... while it is sounded good but it has a slightly harsh & sharp treble and most important to me the eq in the walkman player in android is totally un effective to me !! ... unlike the eq of those little walkmans with sony's OS for some reason !

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,970 of 7,541
  I use it because it's the most convenient DAP I own. for sound, I sincerely believe the X1 to be better. but my X1 stays at home.

I said to a guy looking for good playlist options not to waste his time with FIIO, well I say to people looking only for maximum audio fidelity not to waste time with sony. I happen to have other needs than just press play and have -110db SNR. sony provides for most of those needs. but this DAP is not some kind of audio summit. it just isn't.

is it ok to say I love a DAP on headf while not saying it has the best sound ever?
redface.gif

How about using one DAP and an amp (say, FiiO e12) instead of two DAPs? This way I don't have to juggle between two different UI's. The amp stays at home, and I can take just the A10 with me.
A10's DAC chipset cannot be inferior to that of X1 or X3, can it?
I mean, does X1 sound better than A10 + E12? 

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,971 of 7,541

I use it because it's the most convenient DAP I own. for sound, I sincerely believe the X1 to be better. but my X1 stays at home.

I said to a guy looking for good playlist options not to waste his time with FIIO, well I say to people looking only for maximum audio fidelity not to waste time with sony. I happen to have other needs than just press play and have -110db SNR. sony provides for most of those needs. but this DAP is not some kind of audio summit. it just isn't.

is it ok to say I love a DAP on headf while not saying it has the best sound ever?
redface.gif

How about using one DAP and an amp (say, FiiO e12) instead of two DAPs? This way I don't have to juggle between two different UI's. The amp stays at home, and I can take just the A10 with me.
A10's DAC chipset cannot be inferior to that of X1 or X3, can it?
I mean, does X1 sound better than A10 + E12? 

to answer your question, no I doubt that the X1 alone would measure better than the A10+E12 combo in most situations. also the E12 could drive a lot of harder to drive headphones that the X1 alone.

I use the sony for the reason you mention. before that I used the sony A867 with my amp for my prefered sound on most IEMs. I would use the cowon I10 for when I didn't want to carry the amp but I wished to use an IEM sensitive to hiss(because the A867 hisses a little). and I would use several sansa clips for my audiobooks, for sport activities, and simply as backups in pretty much all my bags for when the other DAP would be out of juice.
it worked fine but it's not hard to imagine that I wished for some minimalistic solution.
the A15 has so much battery that I simply stopped thinking about it, it has a line out so I can expect to use it with the amp when needed, it's small enough for me to carry when doing some sport. it manages my audiobooks and I can just have a few more SD cards without having to worry about total space like on the A867. I wished it would have lower impedance output and less hiss so that I could use it alone with most of my IEMs, but it's already a very clear simplification of my modus operandi.

again I'm very much in love with that DAP. but I'm very sure that it doesn't have an amazing SNR value, a great amp output, or a low enough impedance not to hurt the signature of some multiBA IEMs. so overall it's not an amazing sounding DAP in a technical way. the X1 does better in those 3 domains, hell even my sansa clip does better for that.
using an amp solves at least one noise problem(the one that bugs me, so hurray!), power output problems, and if you get the right amp, impedance problems. so now in my book that does sounds good. but again if it's to listen to something like my mc5(flat impedance response, easy to drive, not overly sensitive to hiss), the amp is just a waste of space. I wish people could endorse the fact that without thinking first about the headphone they will use, wondering about the dap's sound quality is meaningless.

anyway ClieOS goes the extra distance with digital output. it's probably the best thing to do if you have a great dac, but my amp dies after like 5hours if I use it as a DAC. so I'd rather have more battery and use the line out ^_^. but the fact that the option exists isn't bad at all.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,972 of 7,541

biggrin.gif

waiting your impressions of walkman A17 ... is it good sounding like the older walkmans or what ? i am interested in it as it has the original sony OS not an android player ... i had before F806 ... while it is sounded good but it has a slightly harsh & sharp treble and most important to me the eq in the walkman player in android is totally un effective to me !! ... unlike the eq of those little walkmans with sony's OS for some reason !

Agree with you pal, Android, well fro that i have  a phone, and for music well will have the walkman

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,973 of 7,541
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I love walkmans mostly because of their  UI. (Like you, I'm also an ardent apple hater, so iproducts are out of question) 
I checked some videos on youtube about the operation of X3's UI. IT IS HORRIBLE!  I even considered buying one if only the Artist sub-menu listed the albums of the artist instead of the songs. I don't understand why they wouldn't pay a little more attention to the UI part of their DAPs.

I certainly won't pay 6 - 7 hundred dollars for ZX1 which may or may not sound better, so  at least for now, A10 + E12 it is...

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,974 of 7,541

However, at that time, I very subjectively think that my non-burned A16 is less transparent and clear than F886.

Did you already burned it in? how has the sound sig. changed in respect to the F880 (android)?

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,975 of 7,541
Final battery update: 32 hours and 22 minutes of usage on a full charge. (Mp3 and Flac. Volume between 7-12. Clear bass was the only effect turned on. Screen on time 15 seconds, set quite dim)

Good from dec 15 to Jan 4.

15 hrs before dropping from full bars to three.
5 hrs before dropping from 3 to 2 bars.
7 hrs before dropping from two bars to one.
3.5 hrs before final bar started flashing.
1 hr 52 minutes before shutting down.

This was with 'battery saver' on so it was only charged to 90% of capacity.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,976 of 7,541
Final battery update: 32 hours and 22 minutes of usage on a full charge. (Mp3 and Flac. Volume between 7-12. Clear bass was the only effect turned on. Screen on time 15 seconds, set quite dim)

Thank you spatzi!

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,977 of 7,541

Thanks, wow that quite long, despite lasting "10% less", is your first charge ever?, you use it very little each day, I wonder what is your work or why you used from dec. 15 to jan 4 before needing another recharge?

My job is mostly software programming so, i used my daps as far as 8 hours a day
biggrin.gif
, this time is a little bit an exception as i only get 4 hours of listening to music each weekday (upon returning home) because i am on a training on java core and tomorrow i begin with ughhh i didn't want but well is programmer's life or die... a training in iOS, ughhhhh haha, then android YAY

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,978 of 7,541
I used it mostly a few hours a day, listening at night, falling asleep with timer on. That's why volume levels were set so low. During daytime, I am using my full stereo system for music (spotify). I was hoping to pass 30 hrs and glad to see it happen. Surprised at how long it kept going after flashing bar started. (Almost two hours)

This was the very first charge. Keep in mind the screen was also on a lot, 15 to 30 seconds at a time as I adjusted volume or picked another album. that probably came out to at least 15-20 minutes screen ON time while it was playing.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,979 of 7,541
  Did you already burned it in? how has the sound sig. changed in respect to the F880 (android)?

I am still burning it. I think it is becoming a bit more relaxed with good clarity, but I am not sure it is on the same level of transparency and smoothness of F886. Yet, A16 has better extension, and base and treble seems to be a bit more textured. 

The strange thing I noticed is that A16 seems to sound less digital than F886, slightly reminding me of the analogue sounding A845 & X1060. Of course, that is no very obvious thing, just a thought right now. 

The battery with eq and clear stereo on is pretty decent now. Observing some occasional crashes, but nothing significant. Right now seeming to worth every penny I paid.

I will update and write a much more thorough comparison with F886 in a few weeks. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,980 of 7,541

I am still burning it. I think it is becoming a bit more relaxed with good clarity, but I am not sure it is on the same level of transparency and smoothness of F886. Yet, A16 has better extension, and base and treble seems to be a bit more textured. 

The strange thing I noticed is that A16 seems to sound less digital than F886, slightly reminding me of the analogue sounding A845 & X1060. Of course, that is no very obvious thing, just a thought right now. 

The battery with eq and clear stereo on is pretty decent now. Observing some occasional crashes, but nothing significant. Right now seeming to worth every penny I paid.

I will update and write a much more thorough comparison with F886 in a few weeks. 

Thanks I remember my x1060 sounded very good and not "digital" like the E507 and the A818, loved its sound until it fell into some rocks damn

My A17 is on order processing and bank authorization, bought mine in blakc (only color offered right now in sony mexico)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back