SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,276 of 7,541
Hello. Just saw your post and it's exactly what I was looking for. I too just purchased the A17 (Silver) and am looking to purchase a case. Where and how did you purchase yours. I am looking for the black fold out case. You or someone had a link that showed some images of them on the Sony Japan website. But I am not sure how to read Japanese so it would be difficult. Also I thought that it was listed under a different model number (CKS-NWA10).
Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Eric Hasslock

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,278 of 7,541
  no electricity. feels poorly built actually. it is a creaking sound coming from buttons and housing. but i actually realized i still could request a return (within the first 30 days) - and thats what i did now. 

Sounds like a ground leakage defect to me, you should have it exchanged.

I understand that the xperia z3 has a nice audio chip in it while the sony walkman has the s-master chip. Will the sony walkman like this A10 sound a lot better than the xperia z3? if using the new mdr-1A directly on it and for mostly 320kb mp3s.

Z3 has the same audio chip as Z and Z2, and as far as I know, the same chip is used on just about every smartphone with the SnapDragon 80X processor. It is basically a Qualcomm solution being adopted by most smartphone maker with slight hardware difference (most Samsung and LG flagship of the last two years used the same chip). S-Master is just a marketing term from Sony to represent their single chip solution that combines DAC and amp inside one chip. It isn't inherently better or worst than other solution out there except for a smaller size for being an all-in-one design.

Hello. Just saw your post and it's exactly what I was looking for. I too just purchased the A17 (Silver) and am looking to purchase a case. Where and how did you purchase yours. I am looking for the black fold out case. You or someone had a link that showed some images of them on the Sony Japan website. But I am not sure how to read Japanese so it would be difficult. Also I thought that it was listed under a different model number (CKS-NWA10).
Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Eric Hasslock

The way I got mine: Register at Tenso.com and get an account number and Japan address there, then register at Amazon Japan (partially English) with the name and address from Tenso. Buy from Amazon Japan (accept international credit card) and has the item sent to Tenso, then Tenso will quote you the price for forwarding the package to you via EMS. Pay with Paypal and wait for the item to arrive.

Alternative, I saw one Japanese seller is selling the case on eBay.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,279 of 7,541
I have had my email info and card numbers sold within days of using their site. Could I trouble you to provide me with a link to the individual selling the case on ebay. I looked and didn't see one. Thank you VERY much for your help. It's frustrating that Sony doesn't offer the US any such case at this juncture for the A17. Again thanks in advance for the help.

Eric Hasslock

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,280 of 7,541
While I'm at it let me ask a quick opinion here...

I just today purchased the Sony NWZ-A17 (Silver) $300. I also just purchased a pair of V-Moda crossfade M-100 headphones ($310). I am definitely a newbie when it comes to Hi Fi audio, but I am extremely interested. I did some work for Usher (the R&B singer) at his recording studio in Atlanta, Ga. and heard how music is suppose to really sound... and I've been hooked ever since!!! I am a huge fan of House, Electric, and DubStep music. Nonetheless, I have purchased some Hi Res songs from various websites but believe I am in need of a portable amp or amp and DAC. Money is really not going to be the deciding factor. I want nice strong clean sounds. I see the e12a referenced by many folks here for a good quality amp. Would you recommend a combination DAC / Amp? And if so, which ones. I see sony has a two on their website. I also saw V-Moda has one called Vamp Verza. Lastly, will I need a line out cable to connect the amp / DAC to my A17? If so, any recommendations?
That's it. Thank you for any and all advice. I look forward to moving forward in this newly acquired hobby/interest!!!

Eric Hasslock

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,281 of 7,541
  I have had my email info and card numbers sold within days of using their site. Could I trouble you to provide me with a link to the individual selling the case on ebay. I looked and didn't see one. Thank you VERY much for your help. It's frustrating that Sony doesn't offer the US any such case at this juncture for the A17. Again thanks in advance for the help.

Eric Hasslock

Their site as in Amazon's? As Tenso doesn't take your credit card number (Paypal does).

Anyway, here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Japan-Official-Walkman-Soft-case-CKS-NWA10-for-CKS-A10-/161480674729?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=&hash=item2598ff8da9

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #1,282 of 7,541
I always wonder why Sony USA doesn't make available these case for purchase here.  I hope I can wait for couple of months for a third party case.  $60 is just way too pricey for a $300 DAP.

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,283 of 7,541
  I always wonder why Sony USA doesn't make available these case for purchase here.  I hope I can wait for couple of months for a third party case.  $60 is just way too pricey for a $300 DAP.

No just USA, most of Sony DAP's accessories are not available outside of Japan. For the Sony I know, regional offices usually don't talk much to the Japan HQ (nor has much saying anyway), and therefore very likely just don't know much about anything beyond the basic stuff. This problem of disconnection between departments has been an issue within Sony for decades.

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,285 of 7,541
No issues here, solid as a rock even after sat on :/ its so tiny.

*Hi-5* to all my brothers who are using line out and amping
smily_headphones1.gif
this player becomes godly when amped

Surely tho amping is only for cans? I have tried a few amps on my iems (various, ranging from soundmagic e10's to Sony XBA3's) and it doesn't change 'em much.
Whereas my Fiio e9+e7 USB DAC combo transforms my Superlux HD668B's. I'm taking it's a similar kinda thing with the A15/17 > cans, an amp helps drive them better?

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,288 of 7,541
  The display doesn't shut off, if you use the lineout. Is that normal?
That would be very bad for the batterylife..

you mean using analog out or digital out?
because with analog out the screen sure turns off depending on the timing you set.

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,290 of 7,541

I particularly like the fact that you have put a spotlight on the weakness of the A15/A17 amp section.

We need to understand, however, that Sony's under-powered DAPs can still deliver plenty of bass control and dynamics without the use of an external amp, if and only if we use a very efficient IEM or headphone.

1. Could you (or anyone else) please recommend some of the most efficient IEMs available?

Like you, my primary purpose would be to use the A17 as a card-reading digital source for an external DAC/amp - or possibly as an analog Line Out for an external amp (with a UI that beats the pants off of all the bug-ridden competition), but on occasion, I would like to use it as a standalone DAP, if I can identify and purchase a sufficiently efficient IEM.

1. When time for testing permits, could you please give us your impression of the A15/A17's Line Out to your most neutral and transparent amp and headphone of choice?

Thanks!

Mike

What Sony USB data cable did you use to connect to the AMP,because I've got a UD120 DAC and I'm looking for a Walkman USB cable to connect my A15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back