SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #421 of 7,541

if you format the card with the DAP it will make the usual sony directories already (video, podcast ... ) you have a need for further folders outside music?

Prefer to separate albums from singles.
So only shuffle through singles.

oh, well you could always make one directory with singles under music and shuffle that folder with playback range set to "selected range"(meaning the actual folder you're in).
or make a playlist (all you need is generate a .cue with foobar of all the selected songs). but I don't know if there is a limit to the size of a playlist?
anyway you should have ways to do it how you like withing "music" subfolders or outside of it.

Ah so you can choose folder only shuffle. Should have mine by Wednesday next week. If Sony release date is correct.

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #422 of 7,541
received a (black) a15 today. first thoughts:

- incredibly small and handy device
- build quality and haptics not overwhelming but quite ok
- screen quality a little underwhelming coming from "retina" (but thats not what this is about, so..)
- i'd much prefer the headphone jack to be on the top of the device! 
- UI is ok but quite simple/old school compared to today's mobile phone UI's (of course. but thats not..)
- copied about 10GB of ALAC via drag/drop, worked fine. no issues with tags.
- what else.. ah, sound quality: NICE! GREAT! OVERWHELMING! (beatles white album/24 BIT, charles mingus ah um/16 BIT, broken social scene you forgot it in people/16 BIT, talk talk spirit of eden/24 BIT). ((lacking audiophile vocabulary i can simply say say that i love what i hear.))

using auditechnica ath-m50, comparing to iphone 4s and ipod 2g 8gb rockboxed.

quite happy yet!

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #423 of 7,541
Mine is in the preparing for shipping phase, and while I wait can I ask if anyone has tried the device with Media Go.  I am really curious in particular how you would transfer files to the device if especially if you want them on the added memory slot card?  Also, can this thing tag wave/pcm files. My old A864 managed to do this somehow.  

Cheers, and happy listening!  

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #424 of 7,541
  Mine is in the preparing for shipping phase, and while I wait can I ask if anyone has tried the device with Media Go.  I am really curious in particular how you would transfer files to the device if especially if you want them on the added memory slot card?  Also, can this thing tag wave/pcm files. My old A864 managed to do this somehow.  

Cheers, and happy listening!  

pretty much anything you had on the A864 you'll have here(you might miss the great scrolling with the touchpad, but else the UI is really the same too). you just also have more codecs and resolutions compatible ^_^.
about µSD transfert, the DAP has a setting where you pick what drive you'll upload on(why? I don't know).
anyway it's made so that only through the DAP can you pick the drive. you won't see both onboard memory and µSD on your computer at the same time. that's the dumb part of that DAP for me. no big deal, but stupid still.
media go tells you what drive is active so it stays pretty clear. most people will not want to use media go. when you're familliar with it and have a use for it it's ok, but for the random newcomer it's like a bad brother of windows media player(which it is).

I didn't try wave but there are ways to get tags on it and it did work on older sony models so I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #426 of 7,541
  besides the shiny front, does the walkman scream quality when you hold it? the plastic back has me a little worried from the pics

it's crappy thin plastic in the back, so it won't save you from a bullet, that much is sure. but the DAP is pretty light so it's not like dropping a DX100 or a X5.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #427 of 7,541
Please clarify what  s-master hx is??
Dedicated hardware or just a software as sony itself calls it s-mastrer digital amp.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #429 of 7,541
Found an old article

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-truth-about-digital-class-d-amplifiers

Says they won't typically get thd<.1%,,maybe s-master hx has improved.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #430 of 7,541
  Found an old article

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-truth-about-digital-class-d-amplifiers

Says they won't typically get thd<.1%,,maybe s-master hx has improved.

It is the same chip as the F886 and ZX1.

You can hear 80 0000Hz with it
atsmile.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #432 of 7,541
sorry to disappoint but the A10 seems to be limiting the signal to 40khz. I know 20hz-40khz mp3 is a disappointment.

DSEE counts on the fact that your mp3 file will have killed a few things between 16 and 20khz(believing that noise above 20khz will improve your sound is like saying climate change doesn't exist). and it will rise those freqs with some nice noise that shaped to looks good next to lower frequency signal. so if you can actually hear well above 16khz, if your IEM doesn't roll off long before, then you might be able to tell how good the algorithm is.

for everybody else it will have the effect described by a reddit user talking about DSEE:

sunamumaya: “this is like claiming you finally have the ability to seamlessly polish a turd”

it's a little silly DSP, if you find mp3 not to be transparent, for real (or in your own head), then you just don't use mp3. I wonder how many people will say that mp3 isn't enough, and then would be happy to add high frequency paintjob to "recover"(lol) the lost signal?

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #433 of 7,541
  sorry to disappoint but the A10 seems to be limiting the signal to 40khz. I know 20hz-40khz mp3 is a disappointment.

DSEE counts on the fact that your mp3 file will have killed a few things between 16 and 20khz(believing that noise above 20khz will improve your sound is like saying climate change doesn't exist). and it will rise those freqs with some nice noise that shaped to looks good next to lower frequency signal. so if you can actually hear well above 16khz, if your IEM doesn't roll off long before, then you might be able to tell how good the algorithm is.

for everybody else it will have the effect described by a reddit user talking about DSEE:

it's a little silly DSP, if you find mp3 not to be transparent, for real (or in your own head), then you just don't use mp3. I wonder how many people will say that mp3 isn't enough, and then would be happy to add high frequency paintjob to "recover"(lol) the lost signal?

Its just a stupid marketing jargon,nothing else.
They need to put in a proper amp and a proper dac.

The way they are fooling people is astonishing to say the least.My guess is be it a series,s series or e series,,,,,sony puts the same puny processor and dac in all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back