SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,577 of 7,541
  Should there be any problem impedance matching with the SE535 at 36 ohms or HD518 at 50 ohms? I've never really understand impedance matching. 

Thanks for your help! 

with the 535 you'll get a little mid boost probably audible, but that shouldn't be a problem and anyway you can always EQ back.
but the other thing is, you will probably be able to hear the A10 hissing on silent passages. 
you're a little in the same situation as our buddy with the se846. they are very very sensitive IEMs and all sony daps have some matter of hissing. I personally wouldn't get the A10, or I would add a low impedance and low noise amp to it(when you find one you think will be good, ask around if it hisses on sensitive IEMs).

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,578 of 7,541
A17 and x5 with beyer dynamic t90 = a17 win

What next? +

It might be ideal player for IEMs but it has 10mW per channel. It cant give serious sound with full size headphones. If you really liked A17 over x5, it must mean a)you are total Sony fanboy or b)X5 is total crap considering its size and battery life compared or c)amping and good DACs doesnt matter.

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,579 of 7,541
Hola!
I auditioned the A15 with my iems Fidelio S2 today (4/12 year of the Hobbit), they are 22 ohms I think (but they need a bit more juice to shine). So I plugged in my microsd and pressed play :wink:
First some negatives: only volume maxed out was satisfying enough for me (probably because S2 are not too efficient), no line out, playing music without having enabled dsee hx was a bit lifeless.
Now positives: With dsee hx having enabled it was a pleasure listening to music, there was a nice "toe tapping" factor, so there was a sense of a good flow and rhythm, which is very important for me, sound was quite crisp and with some sparkle on top end. It's a improvement over a cellphone for sure (I didn't have anything else with me to compare).
More positives: small!, great battery life, microsd slot (I am happy to carry with me 5 of them if needed), aptx!
Having said that, I paired it with Sony srs-x9 and have to say that it was awesome! Clear, crisp, punchy sound! Volume controlled by the player. Nice!
So, I need to try it again with my Aedle headphones, if I will get so nice and loud enough sound, I am sold.
+ according to some people here it works well with idsd micro which I would like to buy.
:wink:

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,580 of 7,541
What next?
+

It might be ideal player for IEMs but it has 10mW per channel. It cant give serious sound with full size headphones. If you really liked A17 over x5, it must mean a)you are total Sony fanboy or b)X5 is total crap considering its size and battery life compared or c)amping and good DACs doesnt matter.

Sony fanboy? I haven't bought a Sony product since 1980, so I highly doubt I'm a fanboy.

X5 can't match the bass of a17 (using clear bass) and that is what makes it sound better on the Beyert90. . Small headphones, the x5 sounds better. If if you have all three of these components, be my guest and try them out, but I don't think you have even one of them. A17 has enough to power the t90's, unless going deaf is your idea of power.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,581 of 7,541
I've searched the thread but haven't found anything on this.

If anyone has the player, can you advise which brand microSDXC card you're using, I read a review which said the one a guy tried to use initially didn't work, but a sony version did.

"Normally I don't write reviews, but I just wanted to say this is the 2nd memory card I've had to try because the generic one I got off ebay didn't work, despite being brand new, with my new Sony A17 flac player. It's a shame Sony doesn't have a 128gb model, but I'll gladly take the smaller size over shoddy alternatives. It's working fine with this new card now so my main question is, will it stand the test of time? Obviously I can't see the future, but for the most part Sony stuff tends to have decent build quality."

I haven't seen anything about this on the sony website either.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,583 of 7,541
A17 has enough to power the t90's, unless going deaf is your idea of power.

one thing is power to drive headphones loud. second thing is power to drive it well. i wouldnt say, that a15 was clear downgrade from x3 in sound for me, i was quite suprised, how this little thing compared, but it definitely cant produce same deep bass with my es10 as x3 could.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,589 of 7,541
  Any European owners have any comments on the volume cap and how significant it affects the player? I was all set to import one of these from accessoryjack when a deal on a local Irish site appeared for €180 which seems too good really to splash out on a customs hit of potentially an extra €50 just for the extra volume and an awkward warranty.

I bought my Sony NWZ-A15 from Europeean Sony Store for 189 euro and i received some days ago my Sony NWZ-A17 bought from AccessoryJack.

I head-to-head compared both players, connecting them to my FiiO HS2 and i verify that there is a two levels difference between the two players, getting the same volume output with Europeean A15 at level 30 and international A17 at level 28. Besides there is no "high volume warning message" when you go over level 15 on A17.

Bluetooth sound quality of this player is also quite good: i tested it withe the excellent MEElectronics AF62-CF Air-Fi Matrix2, that connected to A17 in APTX mode.

Besides, i succesfully use a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 with the DAP.

However for me a great limit of this player is that there is no CUE and APE support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back