SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,561 of 7,541
The title of this thread is A10... A17, A16 and A15 are simply region specific models of the same device with different capacity as per OP:

Yes you said A17 is easy to scratch. I said iPhone 5 is also easy to scratch. I take care of my things. As such, neither my naked A17 or iPhone 5 are scratched. 

If it's just the screen you're worried about, you can simply buy any generic smartphone screen protector for 99c on eBay and cut it to size. If it's a big deal to you then return the player as you say. 

What a mess! Never seen such model confusion, but then again, I have never bought a Sony product since 1980. Seeing this flow chart of regions it doesn't surprise me that I'm also having problems getting a case. It's a SONY thing. Finding this unit also has a proprietary Sony cable for charging also didn't make me happy. Lose this and I'm screwed. Funny, they don't tell you these things while you're asking them questions in the store. A screen protector seems to be the only cheap thing available. Maybe Sony store has one for this and also charges 30 bucks for it. :rolleyes:

One thing for sure: buying fiio products and talking to knowledgable staff from headphone bar in Vancouver was a much more positive, easy, and enjoyable exercise than going to the Sony store. Sony staff just give me drone answers to lack of cases like "maybe people don't want cases for this...maybe Sony had no time to make a case....this a17 is very new..." Yikes. The correct answer is "Yes, you're right. I don't understand why Sony didn't include even a cheap silicone case for this and i don't understand that we can't sell you a case." They choose to make lack of case seem like a perfectly natural thing. Mall stores. Never again.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,562 of 7,541
To be fair, Fiio audio players come with a case and screen protector pre applied. I hear ya. 

It's just when you're dealing with these huge corporations like Sony, they could care less. Their attitude is: don't like it, don't buy it. I just assume I'm on my own after I buy the product, I'm used to it after many bad experiences. Even companies like Asus have terrible support, customer service and drivers even though they are have #1 market share in third party keyboards and a few other divisions. It's because they can get away with it. 

Smaller companies like Fiio have yet to build the loyal customer base to keep them afloat no matter what, so they will try extra hard to keep you happy. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,566 of 7,541
Anyone know how I can remove the stock songs that came with the a17? When I plug it into my computer and go through the folders the songs do not appear. Where exactly are they hiding?

Try ormatting the player's internal memory via the Settins ,enu

or try to enable in windows explorer Folder and serach options > View > Show hidden folder & files

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,568 of 7,541
x3 fiio sounds better to me paired with w4r (westone)
not a surprise i was expecting it

ive had 2 sony walkman before
then i bought the x3
mainly because the a17 wasnt available
or else it would have being it

but then i got into that sound
and yeah despite its flaws it does provide more sound than the sony

i would have bought it
but didnt

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,569 of 7,541
NWZ-A17 is selling like hotcakes here in mexico... already out of stock.. i'll wait until tomorrow or next week

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,570 of 7,541
  To be fair, Fiio audio players come with a case and screen protector pre applied. I hear ya. 

It's just when you're dealing with these huge corporations like Sony, they could care less. Their attitude is: don't like it, don't buy it. I just assume I'm on my own after I buy the product, I'm used to it after many bad experiences. Even companies like Asus have terrible support, customer service and drivers even though they are have #1 market share in third party keyboards and a few other divisions. It's because they can get away with it. 

Smaller companies like Fiio have yet to build the loyal customer base to keep them afloat no matter what, so they will try extra hard to keep you happy. 

to be perfectly fair, I do think that a brand should either be sure of how sturdy a product is, or sell it with a case. iphone/ipods always made me laugh for that. you get the super slim super nice design, and then if you really expect it to last you have to buy some ugly sarcophagus because they wouldn't even provide that for the price.
anyway, the sony is pretty light, so falling is very unlikely to kill it(I wouldn't say the same about android one with big screens). in fact I've dropped all my DAPs(except the cowon because I never really used it) more times than I can count and the rule for me is that the lighter the DAP, the less it will break from falls. as simple as that. 

the FIIOs come with a silicon case(and that is very nice from FIIO to provide that given how cheap they already sell their products), but with the weight you really don't want to drop them too often without the case.

Just found these cheap screen protectors

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351228453228&alt=web

please let us know if they cover all the plastic surface or just the active part of the screen.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,573 of 7,541
Problem with testing the unit like that at the shop is they sound very average out of the box, and sweeten up 100hrs or more in in my opinion.
So it is very hard if not impossible (on a fresh unit)
to judge it like this, unless the unit has had some time on it.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,575 of 7,541
Some a17 and fiio x5 comparisons:

A17 and x5 with koss ksc 35's = X5 wins. Wider soundstage on small portable headphones. Feels more 'live' and present. These are the best small clip ons I have ever heard.

A17 and x5 with beyer dynamic t90 = a17 win. This is a shock. Clear bass definitely an advantage here for a17. Set it to 3 out of 4. X5 sounds thin in comparison and x5 has no bass enhancement option. Volume levels not a big deal. a17 is pushing these beyer's at 600 ohms with room to spare. Amazing.

X5 is like a semi portable player to me. Good around the house, but at home I usually plug direct to high end receiver and x5 can't match that. So where do I use it? X5 useless for taking to the gym. Much too big. Can take it outside in the winter but it's so heavy. Not a summer portable at all if you walk around in shorts.

Definitely has sonic advantages over the a17 but keep in mind the sq differences are only really obvious when you're doing side-by-side comparisons within 20 seconds of each other. I might think the x5 is better sounding but then I think about its weight, terrible battery life, awful UI, and .,$&@! Scroll wheel that skips movement once or twice at random moments (how did this get released?) and then I go back to loving the A17 as it has none of these problems. I've been listening to at least 7 albums since last night on the a17 and the battery bar has not moved at all. All that is missing is spotify streaming. Spotify is what makes me consider the z1. Just can't seem to find everything you want in one player.

I played around with the sound settings on the a17 and find the best one is the clear bass enhancement. It's all I use. Sometimes using the studio setting in the equalizer will make certain things sound better but it's really the only one out of the equalizer presets that sounds decent.

My major problem now with a17 is a lack of protective case, which is pathetically humorous. Every other company makes their own cases or has other companies making their cases. Sony store " sorry we don't have a case for you!" I've even checked eBay I can't find a single thing to protect the a17. I am almost tempted to take it back just for this reason alone. It's a portable player and it's going to be scratched within a day unless I get a cover for it.

Its annoying that a case isn't available officially or readily, but there's loads on ebay from international sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back