SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #121 of 2,750

https://advancedplatingtech.com/blo...gold-vs-silver-plated-connectors-or-contacts/

The Benefits of Gold-Plated Connectors​

Gold is a highly noble (unreactive) metal that can enhance the performance of connectors in a variety of electrical applications. The benefits of using gold-plating include:

Benefits of Gold Plated Connectors or Contacts

Superior Corrosion Resistance

In comparison with other metals, gold’s resistance to oxidation or corrosion is extremely high. In situations where the contacts of a connector are likely to be exposed to corrosive substances or conditions, gold plating can serve as an effective barrier from oxidation and corrosion. As a result, gold-plated connectors are an excellent choice for more corrosive applications where the connector or contact may be exposed.

Gold ConnectorApplications include high humidity environments or applications with frequent thermal cycling as well as exposure to corrosive salts or acids. In the later application, a heavier gold deposit or even duplex gold deposit may be required to ensure there is sufficient gold to eliminate any porosity in the deposit thereby forming an effective barrier to corrosion.

High Electrical Conductivity

Besides copper and silver, gold is the third most conductive metal in the world. However, gold does not produce any oxides or other compounds, so it maintains its high conductivity even at elevated temperatures or when exposed to corrosive environments. The high/consistent conductivity of gold ensures stable current flow even at very low voltages making gold an excellent choice for electronic applications where milli-volts transmit milli-amps.

Enhanced Durability

Electroplated gold can be alloyed with small amounts of nickel or cobalt to increase the hardness from that of pure gold (< 90 Knoop) to as high as 200 Knoop. This hardened gold deposit is commonly referred to as hard gold. When plated to a sufficient thickness (> 50uin) over an electrolytic or electroless nickel base, hard gold can provide a durable and coating for repeated connection cycles. Hard gold is not prone to fretting or galling due to its natural lubricity.

Ductility

Because gold is such a malleable metal, it’s suitable for flexible connections and springs. Gold’s ductility makes it more likely that plating will hold up to multiple cycles of contact. However, gold-plated electrical connectors or springs require a suitable underplate material to guarantee the finish meets the design requirements. It is generally recommended that an engineered nickel such as a sulfamate nickel be used as an underplate to gold when a plating a flexible contact or spring.

Solderable Deposit

Gold plating is an excellent finish for forming reliable solder joints and will consistently and evenly wet with using just a mild rosin flux without acid activation. Gold can be plated on nearly any substrate including stainless steel terminals or connectors to allow for subsequent joining through soldering. Generally, only a thin deposit of soft gold of 0.00001 inches per side is required to form a reliable solderable gold contact but heavier gold deposits can be soldered as well.

When soldering to a gold electrodeposit, the gold plating diffuses into the solder joint through a mechanism called solid-state diffusion. Because of this phenomenon, care should be taken to not exceed more than 3% by weight gold in the solder joint as this can cause embrittlement within the joint itself. As a general rule deposits of < 0.00005 inches per side will result in less than 3% by weight gold in the solder joint

Non-magnetic

As a final point, gold is not magnetic. This is advantageous in scenarios where electromagnetic fields can create interference. For instance, gold plating may be suitable for connectors used in medical equipment like Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners.

Industry Applications of Gold-Plated Connectors or Contacts​

Most the electronic devices we rely on each day utilize gold-plated contacts or terminals. In addition to gold’s attractive, value-added appearance, this precious metal has several key properties that make it a valuable material across many industries. However, the electronics and interconnect industries are the primary user of gold. It performs an essential function in keeping electronic components working effectively over time.

Gold can be found in various electrical devices, including cell phones, desktops, and laptops. For every 10,000 smartphones, there are about ten troy ounces (or 3/5 pounds) of gold. There are approximately five troy ounces of gold worth over $9,000 in 200 computers.

Because of its capacity to maintain electrical connectivity, gold is well-suited for use in a wide range of electronic applications. It can be applied to any part of a device that requires a reliable electrical connection. External components such as electrical connectors most commonly feature gold plating. However, gold is primarily used in the circuit boards of electronic devices.

The reliability of any device is dependent on the integrity of its circuit board connections. As such, electronics manufacturers apply gold plating to their circuit boards to improve conductivity and prevent corrosion. 99.9% pure gold plating or soft gold, as it is called, is commonly used in pad connections or where wire bonding is required.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #122 of 2,750

https://advancedplatingtech.com/blo...gold-vs-silver-plated-connectors-or-contacts/

The Benefits of Gold-Plated Connectors​

Gold is a highly noble (unreactive) metal that can enhance the performance of connectors in a variety of electrical applications. The benefits of using gold-plating include:

Benefits of Gold Plated Connectors or Contacts

Superior Corrosion Resistance

In comparison with other metals, gold’s resistance to oxidation or corrosion is extremely high. In situations where the contacts of a connector are likely to be exposed to corrosive substances or conditions, gold plating can serve as an effective barrier from oxidation and corrosion. As a result, gold-plated connectors are an excellent choice for more corrosive applications where the connector or contact may be exposed.

Gold ConnectorApplications include high humidity environments or applications with frequent thermal cycling as well as exposure to corrosive salts or acids. In the later application, a heavier gold deposit or even duplex gold deposit may be required to ensure there is sufficient gold to eliminate any porosity in the deposit thereby forming an effective barrier to corrosion.

High Electrical Conductivity

Besides copper and silver, gold is the third most conductive metal in the world. However, gold does not produce any oxides or other compounds, so it maintains its high conductivity even at elevated temperatures or when exposed to corrosive environments. The high/consistent conductivity of gold ensures stable current flow even at very low voltages making gold an excellent choice for electronic applications where milli-volts transmit milli-amps.

Enhanced Durability

Electroplated gold can be alloyed with small amounts of nickel or cobalt to increase the hardness from that of pure gold (< 90 Knoop) to as high as 200 Knoop. This hardened gold deposit is commonly referred to as hard gold. When plated to a sufficient thickness (> 50uin) over an electrolytic or electroless nickel base, hard gold can provide a durable and coating for repeated connection cycles. Hard gold is not prone to fretting or galling due to its natural lubricity.

Ductility

Because gold is such a malleable metal, it’s suitable for flexible connections and springs. Gold’s ductility makes it more likely that plating will hold up to multiple cycles of contact. However, gold-plated electrical connectors or springs require a suitable underplate material to guarantee the finish meets the design requirements. It is generally recommended that an engineered nickel such as a sulfamate nickel be used as an underplate to gold when a plating a flexible contact or spring.

Solderable Deposit

Gold plating is an excellent finish for forming reliable solder joints and will consistently and evenly wet with using just a mild rosin flux without acid activation. Gold can be plated on nearly any substrate including stainless steel terminals or connectors to allow for subsequent joining through soldering. Generally, only a thin deposit of soft gold of 0.00001 inches per side is required to form a reliable solderable gold contact but heavier gold deposits can be soldered as well.

When soldering to a gold electrodeposit, the gold plating diffuses into the solder joint through a mechanism called solid-state diffusion. Because of this phenomenon, care should be taken to not exceed more than 3% by weight gold in the solder joint as this can cause embrittlement within the joint itself. As a general rule deposits of < 0.00005 inches per side will result in less than 3% by weight gold in the solder joint

Non-magnetic

As a final point, gold is not magnetic. This is advantageous in scenarios where electromagnetic fields can create interference. For instance, gold plating may be suitable for connectors used in medical equipment like Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners.

Industry Applications of Gold-Plated Connectors or Contacts​

Most the electronic devices we rely on each day utilize gold-plated contacts or terminals. In addition to gold’s attractive, value-added appearance, this precious metal has several key properties that make it a valuable material across many industries. However, the electronics and interconnect industries are the primary user of gold. It performs an essential function in keeping electronic components working effectively over time.

Gold can be found in various electrical devices, including cell phones, desktops, and laptops. For every 10,000 smartphones, there are about ten troy ounces (or 3/5 pounds) of gold. There are approximately five troy ounces of gold worth over $9,000 in 200 computers.

Because of its capacity to maintain electrical connectivity, gold is well-suited for use in a wide range of electronic applications. It can be applied to any part of a device that requires a reliable electrical connection. External components such as electrical connectors most commonly feature gold plating. However, gold is primarily used in the circuit boards of electronic devices.

The reliability of any device is dependent on the integrity of its circuit board connections. As such, electronics manufacturers apply gold plating to their circuit boards to improve conductivity and prevent corrosion. 99.9% pure gold plating or soft gold, as it is called, is commonly used in pad connections or where wire bonding is required.

Yes gold plating is good and is widely used in electronic connectors which is obvious. Trace amounts of gold in battery connector solder... dunno. Maybe??? I'd like to think that Sony knows what they are doing... :wink:

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #123 of 2,750
Yes gold plating is good and is widely used in electronic connectors which is obvious. Trace amounts of gold in battery connector solder... dunno. Maybe??? I'd like to think that Sony knows what they are doing... :wink:
Maybe Sony feels there is enough of a difference to the sound. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. After all they are not charging you an arm and a leg for including gold solder. End of the day what really matters is how good or bad it sounds as a whole device when playing music when compared to other devices at similar price point.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #124 of 2,750
Is EU version planned? As of now I only see A-Series been promoted. If it is planned it would be interesting to see if volume cap is still a thing.
I had the Jap version of WM1AM2 and did enjoy the sound quality but it was just too big to carry around. I actually really like the design of ZX707 but will it provide significant sonical improvements over smaller A306?

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #125 of 2,750
this might be my first DAP.

i'm not sure how to handle selecting IEMs with 4.4mm connector for the balanced output. in fact, i'm just piecing that as the better end of what it can do and seeing what it might cost me.

am i right to think that if i look at the more popular budget balanced IEMs - moondrop aria, tin hifi T2 DLC ? - i would need a replacement cable that's balanced and has a 4.4mm end to it? options?

i'd appreciate any help.
In my opinion, try checking with the audio store for a synergy bundle and directly buy DAP and IEM pair in synergy instead of hunting them individually
Contrary to popular opinion about going with IEM first, I prefer DAP first, because it should be IEM adapting the DAP not the other way around. But if you choose to start with IEM, you just need to find a neutral DAP that can complement your IEM well
Is EU version planned? As of now I only see A-Series been promoted. If it is planned it would be interesting to see if volume cap is still a thing.
I had the Jap version of WM1AM2 and did enjoy the sound quality but it was just too big to carry around. I actually really like the design of ZX707 but will it provide significant sonical improvements over smaller A306?
at least ZX series has balanced output :D

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #126 of 2,750
Sony Marketing certainly do.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #127 of 2,750
Its not much smaller/lighter than the 1AM2 anyway! I'm more interested in the A300 as a 2nd DAP, but again would need to import to avoid EU crippling.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #128 of 2,750
Now I've spent a few days listening since the update I agree it sounds better, more life like, richer. My Dynamic driver FD7's sounding very nice (I swap between my M9's & FD7's)

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #129 of 2,750
Its not much smaller/lighter than the 1AM2 anyway! I'm more interested in the A300 as a 2nd DAP, but again would need to import to avoid EU crippling.
That's the thing I am rather concerned about too. Yeah its cheaper by a fair bit, and the power output is not a compromise but its not very much smaller with quite a stepdown in battery life. I guess hearing it will be the only way to decide.

However, the A306 is interesting but I need that balanced output. Almost everything I have is 4.4mm terminated. Otherwise, I am most curious to feel the ribbed back of the A306.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #130 of 2,750
I went to the local Sony Store to audition the ZX707 in detail and play around for more than 30 minutes, lucky that there were no head-fiers queueing.

I am an EQ guy, and one of the most important features for me to find out is the EQ settings of the ZX707. I am very pleased that the new Walkman OS is improved so that I can save different EQ setting for each of my IEM and name it, which is an uplift from my ZX507, in which I cannot name the EQ setting for different IEMs and it only has 6 save slots. This "new" EQ setting is inherited from the Walkman OS of WM1A/1ZM2. So it is not actually a new interface as it has been with the WM1A/1ZM2 for about a year but as I am a ZX507 user, to me it is new and advanced.

I did a test and the demo can hold 10 different EQ presets (for 10 IEMs) that I set up, I believe I can continue to save more If I want to.
IMG_5615.jpg

Back to the SQ, I played the songs and listened with my IE 600 (with 4.4mm balanced output, high gain). I can confirm again that its timbre is on par with WM1A with warmer tone, and it soundstage is much wider than ZX507 (both horizontal and vertical), timbre of musical instruments is more detailed, separation is far better than ZX507. When I go back to listen ZX507, the SQ is still good but I feel that the sound stage turns narrower and a bit congested, the presentation of musical instruments is not as detailed as the ZX707. That is quite a proof of the improvement on SQ of ZX707 when comparing to ZX507.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #134 of 2,750
Really curious about the OS speed and Sound quality
In the verge between Wm1Am2 or the zx707
Just because my wm1A need cables for apple music streaming 😤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back