SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #106 of 2,800
Really? WM1A underpowered with Z1R? Anybody else got this?
@Vamp898
Not really underpowered but i feel comfortable hearing that combo on 85% -90% volume using the balance output
So somehow i feel its a little underpowered šŸ˜…

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #107 of 2,800
I tested out the ZX707 demo at local Sony Store, using my Westone W80 (v3) with 4.4mm balanced jack.

Not much time to listen because some other guys are in the queue waiting, but primary impression is that its sound stage and timbre is very close to the WM1A, but it has a bit warmer tone. The build is solid and sturdy.

The new software is an uplift from ZX507. The enhanced interface is eye-catching, feeling smooth while browsing and I really like the new EQ settings, seems I can save different EQ settings with the name of my IEMs, will check that out later on.

Quite a surprise that I was also attracted by the new A306. The build is pretty high-end and sturdy too. Its aluminium frame feels great and it has a bit of weight when I place it on my hand, I feel it is really solid and start to like it. However, my W80 does not have the 3.5mm jack so I was unable to test how it sounds.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #110 of 2,800
Any balanced headphones recommendations for this player?

I was personally looking in the price range of 500 to 1k Max

I had settled on ,dan clark audio aeon 2 noire ,but I have read that this player is not powerful enough for them:frowning2:

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #111 of 2,800
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 2,800
I want to like this, but itā€™s so much larger. The 500 series was amazing for its size, I would have loved just a small bump in processor and battery life.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #114 of 2,800
"the gold content is adjusted in units of parts per million (1/1,000,000 = 0.0001%)"

The homeopathy of hi-fi solder.

Don't get me wrong, I am very interested in this player as a replacement to my AK320, traces of gold or not.

From Sony on the WM1ZM2:

"High quality solder containing gold​

The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the WM1ZM2 to the battery."

Just saying, the conductivity of gold is actually less than silver (or even copper)...

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #115 of 2,800
From Sony on the WM1ZM2:

"High quality solder containing gold​

The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the WM1ZM2 to the battery."

Just saying, the conductivity of gold is actually less than silver (or even copper)...
Its only fine PPM quantity in the solder I think, so its more like Aroma Therapy bull :smile:

As Iron-Buddha said

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #118 of 2,800
Well I guess some here should just stick to using the well engineered Apple dongle, please donā€™t buy this Sony bull crap that comes with gold solder. #just saying.

I never said it didn't sound better. Maybe it does, but it's not due to gold's exceptional conductivity at the battery connection... I absolutely love Sony products, but the marketing mumbo-jumbo (pseudo snake-oil) is very hard to take seriously. I realize high-end audio is filled with this nonsense and it seems to accepted practice, but still... it's hard to separate the actually important design features from the marketing hype.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #119 of 2,800
I never said it didn't sound better. Maybe it does, but it's not due to gold's exceptional conductivity at the battery connection... I absolutely love Sony products, but the marketing mumbo-jumbo (pseudo snake-oil) is very hard to take seriously. I realize high-end audio is filled with this nonsense and it seems to accepted practice, but still... it's hard to separate the actually important design features from the marketing hype.
Sony engineers are speaking from their experimentations with different materials. I would think that a multi-national company with $135 billion net worth(as of 2022) and employs actual PHD scientists and manufactures CMOS sensors that is used in every Apple iPhone wonā€™t be trying to use snake oil to sell you products. Would these Sony Audio Engineers do such scammy marketing to undermine their world renowned engineering reputation and especially for these type of Japanese company who is dedicated to craftsmanship by paying attention to designs/things that is not even seen by the customer?

I believe itā€™s this Japanese dedication to perfectionism or ā€œkodawariā€ that also makes their products so desirable. Japanese products are well known worldwide for their craftsmanship and unique designs. Everything is made with care and whether the customer sees it or not, as much care is given to the outside as to the inside. Every detail is thought of. This is also reflected in their excellent customer service.

https://medium.com/@makingsense/japanese-perfectionism-37675834b253

If you still feel that Sony engineers are promoting snake oil then why support them? Switch to other brands that doesnt do these kind of audiophile snake oil.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #120 of 2,800
Not sure why you care, Sony kept the price under $700.. šŸ‘
That is outstanding, and will sell well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back