SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #76 of 2,718
All I’m saying is it’s not worth buying an extra balanced cable for a sub $100 IEM no matter which country or brand made it.

If you could push the budget a bit higher there are IEMs that come with a balanced cable, like the iBasso IT05 (299, bought it last week).

when i've understood the technical requirements of utilising the 707's 4.4mm balanced output, which is what i'm here for help with, i will look at where the prices go.

there is (apparently) a point to looking at the technicalities and abilities ahead of the price ... and i've stated what i've picked up on : not many drivers are proprietary. apparently.

i'm not here for derision or boastfulness, just information.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #78 of 2,718
this might be my first DAP.

i'm not sure how to handle selecting IEMs with 4.4mm connector for the balanced output. in fact, i'm just piecing that as the better end of what it can do and seeing what it might cost me.

am i right to think that if i look at the more popular budget balanced IEMs - moondrop aria, tin hifi T2 DLC ? - i would need a replacement cable that's balanced and has a 4.4mm end to it? options?

i'd appreciate any help.
Invest all your money into Earphones/headphones first

You should at least own an XBA-Z5 or something similar to really make the most out of the ZX700

The reason to buy a DAP is owning an receiver's that needs an higher quality source.

An 2000€ IER-Z1R using an Smartphone sounds better than some cheap entry level In-Ear out of an 1000€ DAP

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #80 of 2,718
Anyone knows if Sony designs to make it override the Android sound system? Does it bypass the Android sound system if I stream music from the Apple Music app?

Nope. It resamples to either 16/48 or 32/192 depending on the high resolution streaming setting.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #82 of 2,718
I've got the 707 on my radar... Looks like it's going to be a very good Sony DAP. I look forward to the poster who mentioned it sounds better than the WM1AM2 clarifying that a bit with some specifics though. Also some more independent confirming impressions will be welcomed.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #83 of 2,718
this might be my first DAP.

i'm not sure how to handle selecting IEMs with 4.4mm connector for the balanced output. in fact, i'm just piecing that as the better end of what it can do and seeing what it might cost me.

am i right to think that if i look at the more popular budget balanced IEMs - moondrop aria, tin hifi T2 DLC ? - i would need a replacement cable that's balanced and has a 4.4mm end to it? options?

i'd appreciate any help.

I do recommend you invest on a higher budget IEMs first if you are able to. But if you're able to afford the ZX707 as well, you can invest something a bit higher around $200 - $300 range for IEMs. Do note that IEMs matters first before investing an DAP. Find an IEM that suits to your music library and you can go from there.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #84 of 2,718
Penon Vortex is a great choice for that $200-300 range.

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #85 of 2,718
Thinking about getting one for my on the go purposes. My current 1Z is far too heavy and has already torn a hole in my office trousers.

However, with the WM1AM2 at about SGD1.9K, it will be critical to see what the price for 707 will be. I fear that if the price is too close, the battery life compromise may not be worth it.

For me, if the 707 is priced at 1.2K, it will be acceptable but still a hard sell.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #86 of 2,718
It seems UAPP does not support Apple Music either. Then, it is not for me! Maybe, I should get an A&K DAP with apple music APK installed.

Most current FiiO/Hiby/Shanling DAPS support Apple Music in lossless and high-resolution. I am not aware of any DAPs that support Atmos if that is important to you. For that you will need an Apple device and an external DAC (or high-end Android smartphone with Atmos built-in). Apple Music does work on my A&K SP1000M but it's unclear at what bitrate as the DAP has no indicator for that.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #88 of 2,718
1673853407030.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back