SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #2,551 of 2,713
@PHLHarmonic
I'm also in the market for a DAP and have been looking at the NW-ZX707. A friend recently purchased the US version and he came over with it so I could check it out.

Here are some notes I took in regard to volume matching. I A/B/C'ed it with my Pixel 7 Pro + Cayin RU7 and my desktop setup which consists of PC > Gustard R26 > Violectric HPA V222, all using Tidal HiFi Plus streaming. Unfortunately, I don't have any equipment to measure db so this was just by ear.

====================

Elysian Diva
NW-ZX707 - Volume 100/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 38/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 11:00 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

====================

Focal Clear MG Pro
NW-ZX707 - Volume 112/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 42/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 11:15 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

====================

ZMF Atrium Closed
NW-ZX707 - Volume 120/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 44/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 13:00 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

With the ZMF AC, I could only volume match with the RU7 and the V222. I would need to go higher than 120/120 on the NW-ZX707 to match the other two amps for my usual listening volume. I think the US version is fine for most IEMs. The Elysian Diva is my second-most power hungry IEM and it's fine at 100/120. My most power hungry is the Symphonium Crimson, but I didn't take note on what volume setting I had to set it to. It was somewhere between 115-119. I just know that I didn't have to max out the volume.

That being said, I went ahead and ordered a new JP version from eBay since it was only $60 more than the $600 US version on Amazon. I'm hoping to get it within the next couple weeks.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,552 of 2,713
@PHLHarmonic
I'm also in the market for a DAP and have been looking at the NW-ZX707. A friend recently purchased the US version and he came over with it so I could check it out.

Here are some notes I took in regard to volume matching. I A/B/C'ed it with my Pixel 7 Pro + Cayin RU7 and my desktop setup which consists of PC > Gustard R26 > Violectric HPA V222, all using Tidal HiFi Plus streaming. Unfortunately, I don't have any equipment to measure db so this was just by ear.

====================

Elysian Diva
NW-ZX707 - Volume 100/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 38/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 11:00 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

====================

Focal Clear MG Pro
NW-ZX707 - Volume 112/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 42/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 11:15 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

====================

ZMF Atrium Closed
NW-ZX707 - Volume 120/120
Cayin RU7 - Volume 44/100 on High Gain
Violectric HPA V222 - Volume knob @ 13:00 (min: 7:00 and max: 17:00)

With the ZMF AC, I could only volume match with the RU7 and the V222. I would need to go higher than 120/120 on the NW-ZX707 to match the other two amps for my usual listening volume. I think the US version is fine for most IEMs. The Elysian Diva is my second-most power hungry IEM and it's fine at 100/120. My most power hungry is the Symphonium Crimson, but I didn't take note on what volume setting I had to set it to. It was somewhere between 115-119. I just know that I didn't have to max out the volume.

That being said, I went ahead and ordered a new JP version from eBay since it was only $60 more than the $600 US version on Amazon. I'm hoping to get it within the next couple weeks.

This is immensely helpful. I really appreciate it. I'd only ever plan to use IEMs with it. Again, I totally understand why people would be against buying the US version. You're right on the eBay prices, which I too was looking at. The lack of a warranty concerns me more than anything.

With the power being equal on the US versions, the A306 would also suffice, so the only serious differentiators we're looking at for $300 are better CPU performance (which I'm not sure how big of a jump it is) and a 4.4mm jack that's effectively useless on the US variant from a power standpoint. Well, that and the fancier aesthetic. So, aside from the ZX707, I'm basically just looking at that and the R6 III right now. Everyone says the dial on the latter is awful when it's in a case, and I much prefer the side buttons on the Sony models. They seem to be one of the few who get that design choice right, at least from my perspective. There's not much else I'm interested in.

So that's where I'm stuck at. Importing an A306 would be a much easier pill to swallow considering the lack of warranty, but I don't know about the tradeoffs.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #2,553 of 2,713
This is immensely helpful. I really appreciate it. I'd only ever plan to use IEMs with it. Again, I totally understand why people would be against buying the US version. You're right on the eBay prices, which I too was looking at. The lack of a warranty concerns me more than anything.

With the power being equal on the US versions, the A306 would also suffice, so the only serious differentiators we're looking at for $300 are better CPU performance (which I'm not sure how big of a jump it is) and a 4.4mm jack that's effectively useless on the US variant from a power standpoint. Well, that and the fancier aesthetic. So, aside from the ZX707, I'm basically just looking at that and the R6 III right now. Everyone says the dial on the latter is awful when it's in a case, and I much prefer the side buttons on the Sony models. They seem to be one of the few who get that design choice right, at least from my perspective. There's not much else I'm interested in.

So that's where I'm stuck at. Importing an A306 would be a much easier pill to swallow considering the lack of warranty, but I don't know about the tradeoffs.
Here's a pretty good article that compares the A306 and ZX707 with the WM1AM2.

https://www.hifioasis.com/compariso...vs-nw-a306-comparing-the-sony-walkman-lineup/

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #2,554 of 2,713
Here's a pretty good article that compares the A306 and ZX707 with the WM1AM2.

https://www.hifioasis.com/compariso...vs-nw-a306-comparing-the-sony-walkman-lineup/

Yeah, I think I'd seen that one. The difference in size between the A306 and the other two makes it so compelling if it didn't reportedly have a sluggish UI. They're like $300-330 on eBay to import which would again be a much easier sell. To your point, if the specs I used are correct, the Symphonium could still get up to 106db on that thing. It's a super hard call for me that I just need to keep thinking on for a bit. All I can say is that my 12 mini probably dies in like 2.5-3 hours with the Apple dongle and actively using the phone itself which it isn't great or super sustainable. It never had particularly good battery life, though.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #2,555 of 2,713
Yeah, I think I'd seen that one. The difference in size between the A306 and the other two makes it so compelling if it didn't reportedly have a sluggish UI. They're like $300-330 on eBay to import which would again be a much easier sell. To your point, if the specs I used are correct, the Symphonium could still get up to 106db on that thing. It's a super hard call for me that I just need to keep thinking on for a bit. All I can say is that my 12 mini probably dies in like 2.5-3 hours with the Apple dongle and actively using the phone itself which it isn't great or super sustainable. It never had particularly good battery life, though.
I was actually surprised by how small the ZX707 was. I've been using phones with large screens for years now so I've grown accustomed to having 6" screens or larger.

The physical size of the ZX707 is similar to the 12 mini except it's chonkier with a smaller screen. The top and side bezels of the ZX707 aren't terrible, but there's a big bezel on the bottom for the Sony branding so the screen doesn't run edge-to-edge like the 12 mini.

For me, moving down to the A306 would be pretty much unusable. It would annoy me too much with just a 3.6" screen and having a slow UI on top of that. I think the ZX707 is small enough to be pocketable and large enough that I could still use it to do other things like browse head-fi :)

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #2,556 of 2,713
I was actually surprised by how small the ZX707 was. I've been using phones with large screens for years now so I've grown accustomed to having 6" screens or larger.

The physical size of the ZX707 is similar to the 12 mini except it's chonkier with a smaller screen. The top and side bezels of the ZX707 aren't terrible, but there's a big bezel on the bottom for the Sony branding so the screen doesn't run edge-to-edge like the 12 mini.

For me, moving down to the A306 would be pretty much unusable. It would annoy me too much with just a 3.6" screen and having a slow UI on top of that. I think the ZX707 is small enough to be pocketable and large enough that I could still use it to do other things like browse head-fi :)

Battery aside, I do prefer the mini since I can easily use it with one hand, although I know when it hits a point of needing to be replaced that I'll basically have zero option for a smaller phone without going to Android.

Basically with taxes and all the import is probably $60-70 more going off the cheapest eBay prices. Just depends on whether it's worth foregoing the warranty, which I'm not even sure how long it is. Still feels like a risk at that price. Again, there's barely anything else I've considered other than what I've mentioned

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #2,557 of 2,713
Is there a way to make the Lock Screen media control full page? 😭 it’s decapitating Cesaria and other artists 😭
IMG_3436.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #2,558 of 2,713
Is there a way to make the Lock Screen media control full page? 😭 it’s decapitating Cesaria and other artists 😭IMG_3436.jpeg
A roundabout way is to remove the screen lock, if you can. Then the screen will wake directly to the media player.

I use mine as a music player only, so do not have anything on the DAP that I need to lock the screen for, so there is no screen lock on mine.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,559 of 2,713
I use mine as a music player only, so do not have anything on the DAP that I need to lock the screen for, so there is no screen lock on mine.
Same here, I've disabled the lock screen right away. Not needed on a DAP.

Since I'm here, is there a TPU case that has holes for the buttons? I picked up the Musashino soft case in Japan, it's good but it makes the buttons kinda stiff to press.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #2,560 of 2,713

USB-DAC function​

You can connect your computer (*) to your Walkman and enjoy high-resolution music on your computer. Supports not only PCM output but also DSD RAW output (PCM: max. 384kHz/32bit, DSD RAW: max. 11.2MHz/1bit). By applying sound processing such as DSEE Ultimate and equalizer in the Walkman settings, you can enjoy music with a balanced connection by taking advantage of high-quality sound parts.

* A separate driver must be installed when using the USB-DAC function. See here for installation . Applications compatible with the USB-DAC function recommended by the Walkman are as follows. Windows: Music Center for PC Mac: Hi-Res Audio Player for Mac
OMG...

Been fighting with this the entire weekend. For the god's sake why i couldn't get DSD out. Hi res player, music center, foobar, nothing. like the heck

and finally only now found your post, thanks, and... sony didn't publish one downloadable driver, why would they. they literally had one job. or include the driver in their two (why have one, when you can have two) player apps.

spoiler alert, windows changed how it shows optional updates, they won't just appear when you hit check for updates, you need to go in advance options > optional updates.

like, I love japanese physical items but software wise they're all an incredible absolute mess; not only sony but like any other japanese software. Next is going to ask me for my hanko if I want to skip to the next song, really. and fax me the lyrics.

sorry, rant off 🤣

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #2,561 of 2,713
Same here, I've disabled the lock screen right away. Not needed on a DAP.

Since I'm here, is there a TPU case that has holes for the buttons? I picked up the Musashino soft case in Japan, it's good but it makes the buttons kinda stiff to press.
Holy crap your post made me realized I’ve had my lock screen on the entire time I’ve owned this device so far and I thought to myself, why do I have a lock screen on a DAP? lol I felt stupid so I went ahead and turned it off too.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #2,563 of 2,713
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #2,564 of 2,713
OMG...

Been fighting with this the entire weekend. For the god's sake why i couldn't get DSD out. Hi res player, music center, foobar, nothing. like the heck

and finally only now found your post, thanks, and... sony didn't publish one downloadable driver, why would they. they literally had one job. or include the driver in their two (why have one, when you can have two) player apps.

spoiler alert, windows changed how it shows optional updates, they won't just appear when you hit check for updates, you need to go in advance options > optional updates.

like, I love japanese physical items but software wise they're all an incredible absolute mess; not only sony but like any other japanese software. Next is going to ask me for my hanko if I want to skip to the next song, really. and fax me the lyrics.

sorry, rant off 🤣
Nice! I haven't tried it myself, so I'm glad it worked for you. And thanks for the tip about 'advanced options > optional updates'. I'm sure others will find that helpful.

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #2,565 of 2,713
can this install poweramp music player? and usa version is it capped loudness wise? i have campfire audio vega 2020 iems wondering how well it will push em and is there any reviews? i did not find very many at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back