SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #7,201 of 8,639
I'd still love to sell mine, as I am in need of money at the moment, but no one seems to want to get the EU version.
I can agree with you guys though. It sounds wonderful. So even if I'm stuck with this player, I don't think I'll have any reason to complain.
EU models go very cheap on Ebay. I paid 236 Euro including shipping costs. For that price I would keep it...

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #7,202 of 8,639
^^Are the import fees so high that European members feel wedded to the idea of buying these capped devices instead of buying uncapped from international source? I'm in the U.S., so really can't relate to this, so I am asking sincerely. I actually bought mine brand new from a Japanese seller, so I have the JPN model (LOL, my former audio buddies and I joked back in the day that we'd buy JPN models of Sony, AT, etc. when possible because we claimed they saved the "good stuff" for their domestic market).

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #7,204 of 8,639
^^Are the import fees so high that European members feel wedded to the idea of buying these capped devices instead of buying uncapped from international source? I'm in the U.S., so really can't relate to this, so I am asking sincerely. I actually bought mine brand new from a Japanese seller, so I have the JPN model (LOL, my former audio buddies and I joked back in the day that we'd buy JPN models of Sony, AT, etc. when possible because we claimed they saved the "good stuff" for their domestic market).
yes, unfortunately... you have to add approx 20% to the retail price.

I already had a ZX507 early after release date with FW 1.2. With this FW the EU volume cap was really a pain and so I returned it. But with current firmware 4.02 for me the EU volume cap is no longer an issue (still there, but it has improved and higher volume is possible now). So, living in EU for me it's not worth getting an uncapped model for approx 700 Euro or even more. I waited for a cheap used EU model.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #7,205 of 8,639
Well, we have to add 23% VAT to the value of the player, so it increases it quite a bit. Besides, Japanese players are more expensive in general. I bought my EU model for 400 EUR slightly used. I could get a new A105 for that price. It was kind of a no-brainer...

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #7,206 of 8,639
I'm having a bit of trouble with Android File Transfer. My ZX-507 will only recognise one music folder. If I create another folder with music in it this doesn't show in internal storage on the device, just the one initial music folder. Rebuilding or updating the database doesn't make it show the additional music folders. Android file transfer shows the new music is on the device though. Anyone come across this before? Much appreciated!

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #7,207 of 8,639
I'm having a bit of trouble with Android File Transfer. My ZX-507 will only recognise one music folder. If I create another folder with music in it this doesn't show in internal storage on the device, just the one initial music folder. Rebuilding or updating the database doesn't make it show the additional music folders. Android file transfer shows the new music is on the device though. Anyone come across this before? Much appreciated!
You're a Mac user? Ditch AFT and use this instead--> https://openmtp.ganeshrvel.com/

IME, flawless with my ZX-507 and get rid of at least some of the Google crap this way, LOL (as if we can really escape Google anymore)

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #7,208 of 8,639

I'm pretty sure all music has to be in a folder named "music" to be scanned for the Sony player. Not sure if that is your issue.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #7,210 of 8,639
yes, unfortunately... you have to add approx 20% to the retail price.

I already had a ZX507 early after release date with FW 1.2. With this FW the EU volume cap was really a pain and so I returned it. But with current firmware 4.02 for me the EU volume cap is no longer an issue (still there, but it has improved and higher volume is possible now). So, living in EU for me it's not worth getting an uncapped model for approx 700 Euro or even more. I waited for a cheap used EU model.
But you still don't have the high gain.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #7,211 of 8,639
Can somebody please tell me, can the volume cap be disabled on EU version? By installing a Chinese firmware or any other way?

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #7,213 of 8,639
Can somebody please tell me, can the volume cap be disabled on EU version? By installing a Chinese firmware or any other way?

The general consensus is that root access to the device is required to begin looking for a method to disable the volume cap.

Root access to the system has not been discovered yet.

I’ve seen a couple of more clever folks than I looking in the xda developer forums but there doesn’t appear to be too much in the way of progress yet.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #7,214 of 8,639
oh well. I wonder if the EU version has enough volume for a HD650

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #7,215 of 8,639
I got my uncapped one shipped to UK from a seller on Amazon Japan (but fulfilled by Amazon) and even with delivery, customs, VAT was slightly cheaper than Amazon UK. Just a risk with any warranty claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back