SONY NW-ZX500
May 2, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #7,231 of 8,639
My internal Music Storage shows up as empty, and 'no music files found' is reported for the internal in the Sony music app. No files show in the music folder, but when I try to add files I know I have in the internal storage it tells me they are already present. If I add a file it then shows in the external file manager, but still doesn't get recognised by the dap. Any advice other than factory reset?
Sony DAPs only look for music in the "music" folder. If using a micro SD card, use the DAP to format the card. One of the default folders created will be "music".
All music, on the internal memory, or on a microSD card, need to be put into the "music" folder.

From the manual:
Update database button
Tap the button to update the database of “Music player”.
A purchased content or a transferred content may not appear in the library of “Music player”. In this case, ensure that
the music file is in the [Music] or the [Download] folder in the memory of the player, or in the [Music] folder on the
microSD card. Also, update the database.

For further instructions for a PC, see page 61 in the manual for "Transferring content using Windows Explorer"

Attachments

• User Guide version 2_0.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
May 2, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #7,232 of 8,639
Sony DAPs only look for music in the "music" folder. If using a micro SD card, use the DAP to format the card. One of the default folders created will be "music".
All music, on the internal memory, or on a microSD card, need to be put into the "music" folder.

From the manual:
Update database button
Tap the button to update the database of “Music player”.
A purchased content or a transferred content may not appear in the library of “Music player”. In this case, ensure that
the music file is in the [Music] or the [Download] folder in the memory of the player, or in the [Music] folder on the
microSD card. Also, update the database.

For further instructions for a PC, see page 61 in the manual for "Transferring content using Windows Explorer"
Thanks for this, but all the music was in the internal Music folder and all had been playable until recently (perhaps the most recent update?). Eventually I had to do a factory reset and repopulate the Music folder, after which all well...

May 2, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #7,233 of 8,639
As it stands at the moment is there a way to implement system wide EQ outside of the Sony Music Settings App?
Install Wavelet and use in Legacy mode for the Sony Player app. Then you can use autoeq to select your headphones or earphones (if in the database) or import your own autoeq parametric eq csv file. Other method is to use the 9 band graphic eq to adjust to your liking. You might need to toggle in and out of Legacy mode and toggle off and on the autoeq or graphic eq a couple times if you are experimenting with eq settings for the settings to have any effect.

May 2, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #7,235 of 8,639
soooo I picked up an Astell & Kern SR25 to see what I might be missing against the ZX507. I have a lot to say about industrial design and the UI/UX but I was curious if anyone had impressions from auditioning both on their sound signatures.

I was going between the two, and felt the Sony in the sony music player app with direct source on through 3.5mm SE output has a warmer, fuller, richer sound. The SR25 on the other hand feels more of a bright neutral.

The Sony seems to have deeper bass extension, vocals are more relaxed/laid back and fuller feeling, as if from the diaphragm. Highs are still clear but not particularly sparkly or prominent.

The SR25‘s bass doesn’t seem to have as deep of a rumble or overall quantity of bass but it still has punch and clarity. Sort of like quick precise jabs, but not necessarily lights-out body shots, to go with that needlessly violent metaphor for bass haha. The mids and highs seem to have a different presentation.. sony is so laid back and almost syrupy sweet with vocals, the SR25 is a bit more forward but not in a shouty way. Almost like someone leaning in to whisper — it has a bit of airiness or aspiration to it compared to Sony vocals. I am not entirely sure/don’t quite have the vocabulary to explain this but I also get the feeling of Sony’s vocals to be coming from behind me or on either side of me, maybe giving it a ‘wider’ feeling, whereas the SR25 feels closer in front of me. The highs do have this kind of sparkle to them, but I most clearly hear this when listening to female vocals pronounce S-sounds and when cymbals crash. It is not exactly fatiguing or sibilant, but I think with my preferences it is not a range of sounds I would want to focus on.

It might be all in my head, in that I’ve already accustomed myself to the Sony sound signature. I might need to burn in the SR25 (whether actual or psychological) more, but for now I think I enjoy the sony for my music (pop, r&b, hip-hop, electronic, rock).

so with those very early impressions out there, I wanted to ask anyone who has heard the two — is this close to your experience with these players?

Thanks!

May 2, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #7,237 of 8,639
So today I finally set up Sony | Headphones Connect app: I added my Sony products (MDR-Z1R, MDR-1A, IER-Z1R, and IER-M9) and took photos of my ears via the app for 360 Reality Audio set up. I did the setup on a phone, then restored backups on the ZX507’s Headphone Connect app. Each time I added a headphone/IEM I did the step that launched TIDAL which added that profile for “Optimized Device” 360 Reality Audio support.

Now I’m beginning to test these profiles out with TIDAL and some 360 Reality Audio (I don’t think these profiles affect any music playback accept 360 RA). I select which Sony profile I want to use in the TIDAL settings: My Collection->(settings cog)->360 Reality Audio->Optimized Device->Select Device. But I noticed, there is no option to select, “Non-Optimized Device” or “None of the Above”; in other words, I have to always have one of the Sony profiles selected. What if I want to connect my non-Sony IEMs or headphones and listen to 360 RA music on TIDAL? Anyone run into this problem and have a workaround?

Also, does Sony state anywhere that selecting a wired headphone/IEM in the Headphones Connect app on the ZX507will effect sound quality in the Music Player app? Or is the setup in the Headphones Connect app for wired headphones just for 360-degree-audio support via the 4 supported music streaming apps?

May 2, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #7,238 of 8,639
Another point related to my last post above: the Headphones Connect app, like TIDAL, also does not have an option to select a non-Sony device or “None of the Above”, so if the selection in the Headphones Connect app affects sound on the native Sony Walkman Music Player, wouldn’t that be messed up if you wanted to use non-Sony headphones/IEMs, since there is always a Sony device selected in the connect app?

In other words, I don’t think it is likely that the selection in the Headphones Connect app for wired devices has any impact on the Sony Music Player, otherwise how do we set it back to do nothing and not effect the audio for non-Sony headphones?

May 2, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #7,239 of 8,639
Regarding microSD cards; you don't need to format in the player. A standard Windows format using ExFAT, then creating a "Music" directory in the root of the card is sufficient. NTFS does not work. FAT32 will work, but there's just no reason to use it. Capitalized "Music" works fine. Album art needs to be baseline JPG AND it needs to be the name of the parent directory.

May 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #7,240 of 8,639
@Gus141

I often switch between listening on my IER-M9 and 1AM2 as to prevent ear canal fatigue and earpad fatigue from extended wearing.

Sometimes I would forget to switch devices in headphone app which results in me using the 1AM2 profile for my IER-M9

If I am using the wrong 1AM2 profile for my IER-M9, the soundstage will sound much more collapsed inside my head. With the the correct IER-M9 profile selected, the soundstage widens up alot more with much more height. This is talking about Audio playback with Walkman music app only, not 360RA apps.

do note that the switching of profile is not activated immediately on the fly when music is playing. You need to pause and unpause music to have the profile switched.

I think Sony has created the headphone app and the Ear analysis to function exclusively for its own brand of wired and wireless headphones and iems.

I would think even if you don’t own Sony branded headphone or iem, you should still create a fake profile and do the ear scan to get a better soundstage. Though you should use:

Sony headphone profile for your non-Sony headphone.

Sony iem profile for your non-Sony iem.

As for which model to use for your non-Sony gear, install all profile and see which model sounds best to your ears?

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #7,241 of 8,639
I have to agree with @Sonywalkmanuser's observation about how the headphone app interacts with the music app.

Originally I installed the headphone app for connection to WF-1000XM3. I wasn't aware that you could choose a small selection of 'higher end' Sony wired headphones or iems in the headphone app until @Sonywalkmanuser pointed it out. Anyway, once the WF-1000XM3 profile was selected, that is how it remained even without running the headphone app again. That was how I was 'wrongly' listening to the IER-M7. It sounded ok to me, but I didn't know what I was missing until I selected the M7 in the headphone app. After selecting the M7 in the headphone app, what a difference it made in the sound the M7 was putting out.

From what I found during my small amount of testing, the last profile selected in the headphone app is what will remain active even if you power off / on the player and don't even run the headphone app again. I had the M7 profile selected, but I connected the WF-100XM3, did not run the headphone app and I could tell something wasn't right. After I paused the music and run the headphone app, it auto-switched to the wireless profile. Then I resumed the music and the WF-1000XM3 sounded normal again. Then I paused the music, disconnected the bluetooth and plugged in the M7, the headphone app does not auto-switch to a wired profile, you must manually switch it. The WF-1000XM3 profile was still active. After switching to the M7 profile, then the M7 sound great again.

I took the testing one step further. I disabled the headphone app and that appears to disable any profile that is active. The only conclusion I have is that once you run the headphone app and select a profile, you can close the app, but it must still be running in the background for the last selected profile to remain active.

May 4, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #7,242 of 8,639
The WF-1000XM3 profile combined with zx507 walkman music app does sound great. Though the warmer sounding WF-1000XM3 is not as refined as the IER-M9 balanced, the sound quality on WF-1000XM3 with ZX507 is much more enjoyable than pairing to Iphone, the music has almost the same kind of surround like soundstaging just like a wired iem, if you use non-noise cancellation mode. Great tonality and very clean sound. Especially on this latest firmware.

Pairing the wf1000xm3 to the iphone on the other hand, makes the wf1000xm3 sound more typically dull/laid back, lacking soundstaging details.

I would say ZX507+WF1000Xm3 would pass the mark for great sound enjoyment for outdoor active usage.

Just remember to set connection to sound quality priority in the headphone app for best sound quality.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #7,243 of 8,639
@Gus141

I often switch between listening on my IER-M9 and 1AM2 as to prevent ear canal fatigue and earpad fatigue from extended wearing.

Sometimes I would forget to switch devices in headphone app which results in me using the 1AM2 profile for my IER-M9

If I am using the wrong 1AM2 profile for my IER-M9, the soundstage will sound much more collapsed inside my head. With the the correct IER-M9 profile selected, the soundstage widens up alot more with much more height. This is talking about Audio playback with Walkman music app only, not 360RA apps.

do note that the switching of profile is not activated immediately on the fly when music is playing. You need to pause and unpause music to have the profile switched.

I think Sony has created the headphone app and the Ear analysis to function exclusively for its own brand of wired and wireless headphones and iems.

I would think even if you don’t own Sony branded headphone or iem, you should still create a fake profile and do the ear scan to get a better soundstage. Though you should use:

Sony headphone profile for your non-Sony headphone.

Sony iem profile for your non-Sony iem.

As for which model to use for your non-Sony gear, install all profile and see which model sounds best to your ears?
So today I set up the XBA-N3 profile and to my surprise, it has an even wider 360 stage paired with UM MEST. Sony just knows how to get you into the music with all these options :xf_cool: Loving it.

May 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #7,244 of 8,639
The WF-1000XM3 profile combined with zx507 walkman music app does sound great. Though the warmer sounding WF-1000XM3 is not as refined as the IER-M9 balanced, the sound quality on WF-1000XM3 with ZX507 is much more enjoyable than pairing to Iphone, the music has almost the same kind of surround like soundstaging just like a wired iem, if you use non-noise cancellation mode. Great tonality and very clean sound. Especially on this latest firmware.

Pairing the wf1000xm3 to the iphone on the other hand, makes the wf1000xm3 sound more typically dull/laid back, lacking soundstaging details.

I would say ZX507+WF1000Xm3 would pass the mark for great sound enjoyment for outdoor active usage.

Just remember to set connection to sound quality priority in the headphone app for best sound quality.
it is odd they have a profile for the 20 year old CD900ST but not the 11 year old EX1000. none of the profiles actually fit the EX1000

May 5, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #7,245 of 8,639
Today I set up the headphone app profile to pairing my non-Sony iem FH7, and I feel there is no significantly different between each profile. When I clean all profile and compare to original sound, I feel the sound became slightly flat. But only when I listen carefully so I can tell the difference. I was wondering is it normal or I set the profile wrong. Because it's hard to distinguish difference. Do I need to install 360 Reality Audio app? I only use native Sony Walkman Music Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back